IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

DOD has higher highs (the title track, Paschendale, Rainmaker and Montségur are better than almost anything on BNW), but lower lows (Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier and especially Wildest Dreams are the most pedestrian Maiden ever were), Face in the Sand and Journeyman are somewhat atypical and might put some people off (at least the latter could have been shorter, AFAIC), but probably the worst thing is the production and mastering - this is pretty much the only Maiden album to make your ears bleed. It sounds absolutely atrocious, like a Vlado Meller mastering job, and it brings the good songs down.

I would never vote against it this early, but I suspect the above might be the reason for some.

Better songs and much better production, though I also feel that Brave New World is overrated (half of it is excellent, the other half not so much).
hmm... Fair enough! I actually like both, they are tough to compare. I just feel like DoD slightly gives us a more variety. Though I also get, BNW being the 1st reunion album and the versions of songs performed in Rock In Rio '01 also make them a bit more likeable.

Ya know what...? For me, the 80s albums with Bruce are just untouchable and also the 1st 3 reunion albums are awesome, so as long as they are above the rest, I'm good! :p
DOD has higher highs (the title track, Paschendale, Rainmaker and Montségur are better than almost anything on BNW), but lower lows (Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier and especially Wildest Dreams are the most pedestrian Maiden ever were), Face in the Sand and Journeyman are somewhat atypical and might put some people off (at least the latter could have been shorter, AFAIC), but probably the worst thing is the production and mastering - this is pretty much the only Maiden album to make your ears bleed. It sounds absolutely atrocious, like a Vlado Meller mastering job, and it brings the good songs down.

I would never vote against it this early, but I suspect the above might be the reason for some.
Yes friend, totally getting you. I think thats the reason why Fear Of The Dark and even The Number Of The Beast are being voted against, which I'm actually surprised to look at, as I always considered them fan favourites but yeah, as you said "higher highs" and "lower lows".

I like the appreciation for Brave New World, yet there are folks voting against Dance Of Death. But why so? What does BNW offer that DoD doesn't? Just curious...
DOD is a fillerfest: Wildest Dreams, New Frontier, Gates Of Tomorrow, Age Of Innocence

DOD is a fillerfest: Wildest Dreams, New Frontier, Gates Of Tomorrow, Age Of Innocence
Nah, Wildest Dreams is the only one that qualifies, though its post solo section saves it.
New Frontier is fun, GOT is a certified banger, and AOI is fantastic as far as music goes (the lyrics suck).

DODs only weaknesses are Wildest Dreams being forgettable, the artwork sucking, and Paschendale being one of the most overrated snorefests in the entire discography. Still a top 5 album for me.

You will get the recognition one day, VXI. I believe in this. Just like TXF.

This round I voted for:

Iron Maiden
Killers
No Prayer For The Dying

Maiden's debut album is really strong and among the best debut albums by any band, but at least 2 of the songs aren't particularly my favorites, without ''Sanctuary'' on it, and that's enough for me to vote for it. Classic album, but the ones I'm going to vote against after it have more songs that I like better or enjoy more.

DOD has higher highs (the title track, Paschendale, Rainmaker and Montségur are better than almost anything on BNW), but lower lows (Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier and especially Wildest Dreams are the most pedestrian Maiden ever were),
I like DOD as an album a lot (the highs are classics), but wow - especially about BNW. BNW is pure gold!
I just feel like DoD slightly gives us a more variety.

I think thats the reason why Fear Of The Dark and even The Number Of The Beast are being voted against
That's true.
A single can't be a filler. Age is probably a filler (although Dave wrote 3 songs for the previous album), Gates, idk because it's the 3rd song written by Janick on the album (I think it's not) and New Frontier is a song co-written by Nicko/Steve has no involvement in it, it's hard to say, but still Bruce and Adrian are involved as well so I doubt it. I like New Frontier and Gates. Wildest Dreams is fun. The only bad song for me is Age. Fillers are usually the shorter songs imo, but Maiden usually write 10-11 songs per album. By ''filler quality'' only Wildest Dreams fits a bit imo.

I haven't voted for it yet but eventually I will be choosing Powerslave. It's my least favorite of the classic 80's albums. It has four fantastically brilliant songs, some of the best from that period. You know the ones. And......four songs I just never really listen to and often skip. It's my least favorite for that reason alone. I've actually seen someone refer to it as Fillerslave before. I would go quite that far though.

But it can be a stinker.
Anyway, uninspired song for me but solo is great.
Yeah, one should expect the singles to be great/one of the best songs on the album. Maiden did this in the 80's, but only several times after that (5-6 imo).

The solo is great indeed. I wouldn't call the song uninspired.

I will say, a filler song can be a Single and even the album can be titled after it but must be a legendary song (example, Paranoid by Black Sabbath). Wildest Dreams may not be best Maiden song but its a fun listen. Actually they went the same route during AMOLAD by releasing Different World as a Single and even as the 1st track but I like that song much better. I think the idea is just to give 1st song to the listener as warmup and then some. I still recall, Speed Of Light being released as first video for Book Of Souls and it's lead harmony has been my ringtone ever since! :D

Voted for FOTD. I very much like Be Quick and Judas and I enjoy Eternity more than I probably should but Fear is the Key and Weekend Warrior and that one about the ghost just belong in the bin. Interesting thing; this was Maidens longest album ever at the time yet featured easily their 3 or 4 worst songs up to that point. The writing was on the wall. This band was a spent force. Change was required. Still, I like that we have this document of the band at that time, trying different things. Just so happened that it didn't work. Weird production, to my ears. Big but small. Open but empty. Or something like that.

This album also provides me with a strange love/hate moment. Afraid to Shoot Strangers. The turn to the minor key and the fast bit are good, maybe fantastic but the intro, the tone of it, the vocals, oh fuck it makes my skin crawl. The intro has always sounded slightly out of tune to me. Plus it's just annoying as fuck even if it is in tune. Bruce's initial delivery is also too much for me.

This and VXI are a worthy bottom 2. They always prop up the table, for me. At least Fear sounds like it was made by professionals.

And to all you motherfuckers dissin the first 2 albums, you can all eat your own feet. I bet all y'all that in 20yrs I'll be in my rocking chair spinning my OG vinyl copy of Killers and loving every god damn second while you cats are fumbling through your Spotify to cherry pick the 2 songs off Senjutsu that you still vaguely like. And don't 'boomer' me, boy, I don't even know what it means.

:ninja: but also severe :rocker:

A single can't be a filler. Age is probably a filler (although Dave wrote 3 songs for the previous album), Gates, idk because it's the 3rd song written by Janick on the album (I think it's not) and New Frontier is a song co-written by Nicko/Steve has no involvement in it, it's hard to say, but still Bruce and Adrian are involved as well so I doubt it. I like New Frontier and Gates. Wildest Dreams is fun. The only bad song for me is Age. Fillers are usually the shorter songs imo, but Maiden usually write 10-11 songs per album. By ''filler quality'' only Wildest Dreams fits a bit imo.

I like that you start out by saying a single can't be filler, which I vehemently disagree with btw, but end with "year, Wildest Dreams is essentially filler" lol

Wildest Dreams feels a lot like paint-by-numbers, "we need a short rocker" Maiden. Speed Of Light is also pure filler in my eyes. IMO, they were simply written to fill out a niche and the respective albums don't need them to feel complete.

Yeah with “Wildest Dreams” it really feels like the band was trying to recapture the magic of “The Wicker Man”, but driving your car is less interesting than ancient British sacrificial death devices lol. All of those rocker singles feel like they’re easy enough to assemble, but it’s notable that after “Wildest Dreams” they got a lot better in quality. “Different World” is interesting as a super existential album opener that has a bit of punch but also sets the tone for the introspective album to come. “The Final Frontier” is pretty cool, in my mind a bit underrated too, and “Speed of Light” is just fun rock ‘n’ roll. DoD being a more experimental album kind of helped them figure out what works, and started to set the standard for their future endeavors.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Top 17
No Prayer For The Dying
17. Virtual XI

Back