Invaders

How good is Invaders on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Better production, and better vocals for sure then two first two albums. Bruce does a impressing performance on this one, but while the song is fun, it isn't that good to be honest. To me this seems like a filler more then a opener to one of the biggest metal albums ever. But its a quite cool filler so I still give it a:

6/10

This is a good, energetic opener. The vocals, while silly in places, are also impressive. The bouncy main riff and chorus melody don't blend too well with the lyrics though. It's an overall decent song with some great bass lines, but easy to forget amongst all of the classics present on this album

7/10

I really struggle to get past the chorus on this song. This could have been a great song. In fact, it could have been a mediocre song. It has enough redeeming features to escape the lowest rating, but I have to give this a...

3/10

Like so many others I find the chorus to be the weakest point on this song, it's something slightly annoying about it which I can't seem to discribe. I find the chorus in can I play with madness and still life to have the same anti-quality, although not to the same extent.
This of course makes it easy to forget that the rest of the song is pretty awesome! The bass line during the verses is a gem and I enjoy all the other parts, maybe the pre-choruses extra much, and have a soft spot for the fact that you can hear the difference in how hard Clive is hitting (stamping?) the bass drum. It feels good in a time when there's a lot of triggered drums all the time. So I really, really want to give it a higher grade because it only have one flaw....but that flaw is kinda super big.
5/10

8/10....
I actually really like this song.
The vocal patterns in the verses are better than the chorus though.
Cool lyrics as well although some people seem to find them cheesy.

While energetic, it ultimately falls a bit flat compared to other Maiden openers, and doesn't stand out much, though it does have some good basswork and drums. 6/10.

Out with the old.

This is the only song that Iron Maiden had ready at the beginning of the Number of the Beast writing/recording sessions, and you can tell. It has that early energy, rapid-attack Clive Burr drumming and gives us an introduction to Bruce Dickinson's fast-lyrics voice. Interestingly enough, this voice will fall by the wayside over the coming years, only to make a resurgence during the 1990s.

Lots of people hate the chorus, and I see why, though I don't personally find it to be any worse or better than the chorus of The Trooper. The latter song works better, though. Invaders is a neat little rocker, inoffensive and a curious jumble of eras. It's a 7/10.

I enjoy the very start of this song, but it falls off a cliff as the vocals begin. If I was listening to NOTB at the time of release, I would have been very apprehensive about Bruce's appointment as the Maiden vocalist; as his voice really rub me the wrong way here; it sounds like he's straining himself. Even without Bruce, I think the predecessor to this song (Invasion) is a stronger overall song in the first place. It would have worked better with Di'Anno.

3/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
2: Killers: 9/10
3: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
4: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
5: Purgatory: 7/10
6: Wrathchild: 7/10
7: Transylvania: 7/10
8: Prodigal Son: 6/10
9: Strange World: 6/10
10: Sanctuary: 6/10
11: Another Life: 6/10
12: Prowler: 6/10
13: Genghis Khan: 5/10
14: Iron Maiden: 5/10
15: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
16: Twilight Zone: 5/10
17: Drifter: 4/10
18: Running Free: 4/10
19: Innocent Exile: 4/10
20: Invaders: 3/10
21: The Ides Of March: 2/10

Solid opener - I am not annoyed at all by the chorus.
I like the topic of the song and the energy is brilliant.

Obviously, this one is not even close to the best Maiden songs.

The highlight: Energy throughout the whole song

6/10

7/10. I think this song was a great choice to start The Number Of The Beast album. It sounds so much like a lot of the fun rockers they done on the debut & Killers, which made an easy transition for fans to get into Maiden with their new vocalist. However, the song is not great or anything, but still enjoyable to me.

8/10, because I think it's a very strong and underrated opener. Good melodies, energetic performance, vivid lyrics. Short and to the point, just enough to whet the appetite.

I'll give it a 10/10 mainly because not only do i not have any problem at all with the song, but it also does it's "job" really well: Providing an energetic opening for the album.

And i still don't get why so many people seem to have some sort of problem with the song. I mean, if we compare it with, say, Aces High, okay, it falls short... But still, it's a great, energetic, opener. Good drumming, good basslines, good guitar work and amazing vocals. I think :blink:

When I first started listening to Maiden, I didn't really like it all that much. Now, however, I highly enjoy it. Great opener, I give it a 9/10 because it does have to share space with songs like The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue, and Hallowed.

6. It's a good song, nothing special.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast

6 - Invaders

I like this song alot, it could fit well into IM and Killers as well. It's a shame it has never been played live. Clive rules. 9/10

3/10

Invaders opens with a musical barrage and slides into a jumpy verse riff. Bruce announces his arrival by wailing lyrics of Viking lore and warfare. The music is complex for a short track, the playing (especially the bass) is great, and the song has energy for days. Unfortunately, it has literally the single most annoying chorus that Iron Maiden has ever written. From the vocal melody and lyrics to the major key guitar runs after each chant, it’s just grating. Not to mention the gloriously inane line, “The battle’s lost and not won.” Thank you for the clarification, Steve. This song has never been played live for a reason.

In honor of this album's birthday, I'll do this one next.

I like Invaders, it's not the greatest opener they've done, but the real power here is in the riffing and soloing. We also get our first glimpse at Bruce Dickinson, who doesn't put in his greatest performance on the album, but I like that. We get enough to know that he's a step up from Paul, but the band gives us time to adjust to him before showing us what he's really capable of.

Back