Instrumentals game (YouTube playlist online!)

Time for some North/Western metal from Europe.

Avalon - Necronomicon
Never liked the vocals in Avalon myself, but I think this instrumental work could be appealing to Maiden fans, especially because of the melodic/harmonic aspect. Avalon was a heavy metal band from the Netherlands, especially active in the 1980s. They released several demos and their guitar player won a guitar contest in 1984. The cool thing was that one of the jury members was no one other than Gary Moore. This song "Necronomicon" comes from their 1986 EP The Third Move and has an uncomplicated beat with very nice melody and short ending solo on top.

Soilwork - Entering the Diabolique
Opening track from their debut album. Gotta a love these solos. And stimulating rhythm section. The synth and acoustic guitars underneath the 2nd solo make the feast complete.

In Flames - Jester's Dance
Atmospheric guitar play with cool bass underneath intersected by some heavy harmonic riffing. From their second full length album, The Jester Race.

If you look in the direction of post rock or atmospheric sludge etc....or jam bands! like 95% of it is instrumental and kicks ass...but I really can't be arsed going through so much for a survivor...

One band who's album has been spinning in my headphones lately that is a check out worthy is the band Earthless though! Think Jimi Hendrix rock, just turned up, straight up jam tunes, lots of solos, its phenomenal :)

Full album on YouTube actually!

This is an instrumental by British Prog-Metal band Splintered Soul. I first heard this about 6 years ago before they got a singer.

Satyricon - Transcendental Requiem of Slaves
Judas Priest - Battle Hymn (if it counts)
Death - Cosmic Sea
Death - Voice of the Soul

Camel - First Light:
Beautiful melodies. Check that sax solo at the end with the harmony underneath and the dynamic bass.

Camel - Beached:
Camel - Stationary Traveller:
Bloody beautiful (bloedmooi) we say in the Netherlands. Of course I refer to the guitar solo. Just wow.

Last edited:
Back