Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Clue 1:
View attachment 37821

Clue 2:

Thematically, this song is not unique in the Maiden catalogue. It is particularly similar to one of Maiden's most well-known songs.

Clue 3:
The first and last verse mirror one another: Here, two out of the four lines are near identical, and the two verses both describe the same situation.

Clue 4:
As frost lay on the ground
We cannot fight this battle alone
If there is a God then answer if you will
We won't live to fight another day

Clue 5:
In the lyrics you’ll find the name of a song by The Smashing Pumpkins and also the name of a 90s US band sometimes associated with the The Smashing Pumpkins.

Look further into the lyrics and you'll find the name of a city Maiden where have played on several occasions. However, more than three decades separate two of their visits to this city.

Clue 6:
The song begins with a Nicko McBrain drum beat.

Clue 7:
From the release history: The song first appeared on a release with one of the songs from the list of wrong guesses below.

Later, the song was omitted from a release where it could have been expected to feature.

From the non-official release history: The name of the song has been used to name a few Maiden bootlegs.

Charlotte you've taken your guess and you've thrown it away: 22 Acacia Avenue, Chains of Misery, Can I Play With Madness, Fear Is The Key, Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, The Assassin, Sign of the Cross, Killers, The Edge of Darkness, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Strange World, Paschendale, Sheriff of Huddersfield, Rainbow's Gold, Where Eagles Dare

Good team work, and @LosBastardos got it! Massacre is the song, here are the clues:

Clue 1:
View attachment 37821

A picture of 15 keys. "15 keys" is the name of a song by the legendary US alt. country band Uncle Tupelo. In the song "15 keys", Thin Lizzy gets a mention in the lyrics.

Clue 2:
Thematically, this song is not unique in the Maiden catalogue. It is particularly similar to one of Maiden's most well-known songs.

War and the brutality of war. "Massacre" is very similar to "The Trooper", and Thin Lizzy also seem to have been inspired by "the noble 600" - even if there is also a bit of "Run to the Hills" in the lyrical mix.

Clue 3:
The first and last verse mirror one another: Here, two out of the four lines are near identical, and the two verses both describe the same situation.

Self-explanatory.

Clue 4:
As frost lay on the ground
We cannot fight this battle alone
If there is a God then answer if you will
We won't live to fight another day

These four lines from other Maiden songs more or less sum up the lyrics to "Massacre" verse by verse. I don't have the time to write it out in detail right now, but have a look and you'll hopefully see my thinking on this one:)

Clue 5:
In the lyrics you’ll find the name of a song by The Smashing Pumpkins and also the name of a 90s US band sometimes associated with the The Smashing Pumpkins.

"Zero". Hole is the other band (Corgan wrote and produced them, and was also in a relationship with Miss Love, if I remember correctly).

Look further into the lyrics and you'll find the name of a city Maiden where have played on several occasions. However, more than three decades separate two of their visits to this city.

Buffalo, New York. Maiden kicked off the Legacy of the Beast -tour there in 2019, having last played in the city in 1987.

Clue 6:
The song begins with a Nicko McBrain drum beat.

Self-explanatory.

Clue 7:
From the release history: The song first appeared on a release with one of the songs from the list of wrong guesses below.

"Can I Play With Madness". "Massacre" was released as a B.side on the 12'' "Can I Play With Madness" single.

Later, the song was omitted from a release where it could have been expected to feature.

"Massacre" was not included on Best of the B-sides.

From the non-official release history: The name of the song has been used to name a few Maiden bootlegs.

There are quite a few bootlegs using the word "Massacre" in the title (too many to mention). Good word for a title, even if the song is an obscure rarity in the Maiden catalogue.

I think this time it's not so about the characters in the front as it's about the background.

The background looks like the one in my guess that is :

Be Quick Or Be Dead (which is also the story of the Blues Brothers movie).

Clue #1:
1721152410507.png

Clue #2:
1721152353569.png

Incorrect guesses : Blood Brothers, Sanctuary, Be Quick or Be Dead, Sun and Steel, The Final Frontier

Last edited:
Back