Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

This game was derelict for a month before I stepped in, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I'm hosting or not.

Clue 1: The hands that threaten doom.
Clue 2: In the guise of a beggar, Minerva guides my way.
Clue 3: Jesus freaks out in the street, handing tickets out for God.
Clue 4: Thought I heard her callin’ my name now.
Clue 5: Not dead, which eternal lie.
Clue 6: A prayer from the dying?
Clue 7: The man is back in town, don’t you mess around.

Hint #1: If you know we’re going line by line the first clue should be pretty obvious.
Hint #2: Find the original songs that these clues are coming from and read the lyrics.

Wrong: 2 Minutes to Midnight • Alexander the Great • Brighter Than a Thousand Suns • Can I Play With Madness • Dance of Death • For the Greater Good of God • Ghost of the Navigator • Hallowed Be Thy Name • Holy Smoke • Hooks in You • Juanita • Lord of Light • Moonchild • Mother of Mercy • Murders in the Rue Morgue • Starblind • Sun and Steel • The Assassin • The Edge of Darkness • The Evil That Men Do • The Man Who Would Be King • The Prophecy • The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

I don't get the saltiness. It's fun to get some more difficult or obscure hints every once in a while. Half the fun (for me at least) is to be completely lost at first and then slowly getting closer to the answer or wondering how the hell all of them relate to the song until it finally clicks and makes sense.

That said: Die With Your Boots On?

I don't get the saltiness. It's fun to get some more difficult or obscure hints every once in a while. Half the fun (for me at least) is to be completely lost at first and then slowly getting closer to the answer or wondering how the hell all of them relate to the song until it finally clicks and makes sense.
Then you haven’t witnessed this particular cycle of pain with Diesel’s past clues enough times to understand yet. He wore it as a badge of honor that the clues would get up to ludicrous numbers, not because there was some crazy A Beautiful Mind 4D chess happening with the clues, but because the pattern of the clues had already been figured out and they still didn’t bring anyone any closer to solving the puzzle, and he’d just keep plugging along with the same clue gambit instead of using the clues to accelerate people toward an answer around clue #10-ish, or whatever a reasonable timeframe might be.

Here’s a great example that went up to Clue #33, and only ended because I made a sarcastic guess that was accidentally correct.

That said, it appears that he’s not exactly doing that this time, and he started adding extra hints, so perhaps he got the memo.

That was six years ago, dude. I’d forgotten that even happened. I thought you were mad about the Gordian knot thing and then I realized that was a completely different thread and you weren’t even there for it.

Clue 1: The hands that threaten doom.
Clue 2: In the guise of a beggar, Minerva guides my way.
Clue 3: Jesus freaks out in the street, handing tickets out for God.
Clue 4: Thought I heard her callin’ my name now.
Clue 5: Not dead, which eternal lie.
Clue 6: A prayer from the dying?
Clue 7: The man is back in town, don’t you mess around.
Clue 8: The Invited Guest… could be a friend?

Hint #1: If you know we’re going line by line the first clue should be pretty obvious.
Hint #2: Find the original songs that these clues are coming from and read the lyrics.

Wrong: 2 Minutes to Midnight • Alexander the Great • Back in the Village • Brighter Than a Thousand Suns • Can I Play With Madness • Dance of Death • Die With Your Boots On • For the Greater Good of God • Ghost of the Navigator • Hallowed Be Thy Name • Holy Smoke • Hooks in You • Juanita • Lord of Light • Man on the Edge • Moonchild • Mother of Mercy • Murders in the Rue Morgue • Starblind • Sun and Steel • The Assassin • The Edge of Darkness • The Evil That Men Do • The Man Who Would Be King • The Prophecy • The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Likely wrong, but I wanna guess something and not only add meta-commentary: Sea Of Madness?

Then you haven’t witnessed this particular cycle of pain with Diesel’s past clues enough times to understand yet. He wore it as a badge of honor that the clues would get up to ludicrous numbers, not because there was some crazy A Beautiful Mind 4D chess happening with the clues, but because the pattern of the clues had already been figured out and they still didn’t bring anyone any closer to solving the puzzle, and he’d just keep plugging along with the same clue gambit instead of using the clues to accelerate people toward an answer around clue #10-ish, or whatever a reasonable timeframe might be.

Here’s a great example that went up to Clue #33, and only ended because I made a sarcastic guess that was accidentally correct.

That said, it appears that he’s not exactly doing that this time, and he started adding extra hints, so perhaps he got the memo.
That's absolutely hilarious though and I'm loving it lol

I like that each poster approaches these games a bit differently and many of the guessers disappear for multiple rounds at a time. It's the age old "if it annoys you this much take a break and come back for the next round" I suppose.

That's absolutely hilarious though and I'm loving it lol
Except every single clue just pointed at the same meta-clue of Sabaton's "The Art Of War". New clues literally did nothing to reduce the solution space for the guessers, yet continued to stretch out ad infinitum. And it wasn't the only time that sort of thing happened. That's not entertainment, that's just trolling.

I'm sorry, but if clues don't start to reduce the solution space exponentially once you're into the double digits, then the clue giver is doing something horribly wrong. If you look at everyone's comments around that time you'll see that this was by far the majority opinion.

Except every single clue just pointed at the same meta-clue of Sabaton's "The Art Of War". New clues literally did nothing to reduce the solution space for the guessers, yet continued to stretch out ad infinitum. And it wasn't the only time that sort of thing happened. That's not entertainment, that's just trolling.

I'm sorry, but if clues don't start to reduce the solution space exponentially once you're into the double digits, then the clue giver is doing something horribly wrong. If you look at everyone's comments around that time you'll see that this was by far the majority opinion.
Your opinion is of course valid and if it annoys you no one can deny you your feelings on this. I just don't think it's really worthwhile to whine about it. Personally I really appreciate the different styles of each poster and I'm having fun, it's a silly forum game after all. There aren't even points like in the "guess the cryptic song" game, so there are basically no stakes whatsoever.

In my opinion, if someone has issues with the clue-giving style of the current host, I'd suggest to come back in the next round, instead of getting increasingly frustrated with something that can't really be changed. I'd never argue for the host to change their style just because someone disagrees with it. But that's just me.

Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter

Clue 1: The hands that threaten doom. < from "2 Minutes To Midnight" // "Honey, it's getting close to midnight"
Clue 2: In the guise of a beggar, Minerva guides my way. < "...and all the myths are still in town" (the myth of Ulysses) - the lyrics are from Symphony X's "The Odyssey")
Clue 3: Jesus freaks out in the street, handing tickets out for God. < lyrics from Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" which also include: "Lay me down in sheets of linen" // "True love and lipstick on your linen"
Clue 4: Thought I heard her callin’ my name now. < "Bite the pillow, make no sound" could be related in the context, especially since they come from Deep Purple's "Hush"
Clue 5: Not dead, which eternal lie. < "Before your life becomes your tomb" // the tomb on the cover of Live After Death with the quotation from Lovecraft
Clue 6: A prayer from the dying? < "You'd better pray I'm the one"
Clue 7: The man is back in town, don’t you mess around. < from Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back in Town" // "'Cos you know I'm coming soon"
Clue 8: The Invited Guest… could be a friend? < "Unchain your backdoor, invite me around"

Last edited:
Back