GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I would prefer the same format because I know for fact that I for one would not be interested in checking out the 100% extreme divisions. One of the best things about the way the GMAC was organized was that I got exposed to things I wouldn't normally touch with a pole.

The problem is when you get people who automatically are going to vote against the extreme metal in question in favour of the familiar. And I'm not a huge fan of the extreme genres in general, but I'm willing to be fair - and if everyone was, Loosey wouldn't probably have that idea in the first place.

I think genre divisions at first, then dump them all together for like a top...50 or something. The more the merrier, but without genre divisions we're going to lose any songs with growls pretty quickly.

I’m with Ariana. People voting unfairly kinda comes with the territory in these games. Segmenting genres kills the purpose of the game imo. If you want to have an extreme metal only game, that could be its own thing.

I'm starting to prepare the Greatest Metal Song Cup for 2022 and I'm curious what people think:

Same structure (just a glorified knockout tournament)
Or some sort of league/branch/division, perhaps based on metal genres? IE, a Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, etc etc etc, and maybe the top 8 or 16 or whatever all get dumped into a big league at the end?

Have less seeded songs.

Obviously you'll need to keep the Halloweds, Puppets and War Pigs of this world out of the early rounds or they will kill other songs before their time, but I felt there was a lot of great albums in the GMAC that were seeded and appeared late in the game but only got one round because they were drawn against an even better album first time out.

The problem is when you get people who automatically are going to vote against the extreme metal in question in favour of the familiar.
Welcome to democracy. For what it’s worth, my votes were in no way automatic — I gave everything a fair shake, but I find most extreme music to be fundamentally flawed. And plenty of voters felt the same way about power metal.
And I'm not a huge fan of the extreme genres in general, but I'm willing to be fair - and if everyone was, Loosey wouldn't probably have that idea in the first place.
I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. Extreme metal is niche for a reason — it doesn’t appeal to a particularly broad swath of people, even within metal fandom. Some extreme metal fans feel that it stands on equal footing with other subgenres, and any contest whose results don’t echo their beliefs will end up feeling biased to them. Because, of course, any metal contest should have at least 3 extreme albums in the top 10 or it’s an obvious sham.

Separating the genres would let people decide which parts they want to engage with, would give each genre some time in the spotlight, and would produce a better representation of the top contenders in each area, but those contenders will still get murdered in the final integrated contest because the appeal of the genres is different. Some true believers in niche genres will cry foul regardless.

Some true believers in niche genres will cry foul regardless.
You know me so well Jer baby, it's frightening.
And it should be trve, and possibly fovl.
Also, looking forward to the endless discussions on why that particular song by that particular band ended up it that particular league / division / genre when it's perfectly obvious that it should be in a different one due to a particular album - songs from which are not even featured in the game in the first place - but nevertheless, because, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Also, looking forward to the endless discussions on why that particular song by that particular band ended up it that particular league / division / genre when it's perfectly obvious that it should be in a different one due to a particular album
Yes, this is one of the chief arguments I have against the concept. What I am really looking for is a way to shake things up so it's a little more dynamic next time.

Why am I making more work for myself?!

(because the truth is, I was relieved for about three weeks after the GMAC finished, but then I started to miss it)

Might it be an idea to do some sort of Iron Maiden game as well, given that we have a new album coming up and lots of new people?

Yes, this is one of the chief arguments I have against the concept. What I am really looking for is a way to shake things up so it's a little more dynamic next time.
Unless you make it perfectly clear that the decision of what goes where is yours alone, and not a matter of discussion.
I, personally, would prefer the all against all format, probably overestimating people's open minds, but @srfc 's suggestion of less seeded song has merit.
No clear idea how it would work though, admittedly.

Yeah, I concur that's probably ideal - and what I was trying to get at was indeed a "less seeded song" option by breaking things down into constituent parts.

I have some ideas, just need to ponder them a little more.

It might not be a bad idea to do some sort of Iron Maiden game to take advantage of the surge in activity on the forum. As for what kind of game, I don't know. A traditional survivor is the most logical, but doing something different would be fun too.

A head to head song game would be fun. I’m a little sad it hasn’t happened yet.
I mean, we did something similar with mckindog's Maiden album game where songs from 2 different albums would battle it out head-to-head, but doing a big free-for-all tournament to determine the greatest Maiden song would be really cool, indeed.

I mean, we did something similar with mckindog's Maiden album game where songs from 2 different albums would battle it out head-to-head, but doing a big free-for-all tournament to determine the greatest Maiden song would be really cool, indeed.
LC was talking about doing it but I think he ended up channeling the energy into the album cup.

I’m with Ariana. People voting unfairly kinda comes with the territory in these games. Segmenting genres kills the purpose of the game imo. If you want to have an extreme metal only game, that could be its own thing.
I might be speaking for myself here: I love extreme metal but the idea of a Greatest Extreme Metal Album game doesn't interest me at all.

Having some troubles with the GMSC - can't find a lot of lists.

If anyone sees lists of the top 100 (or therein) metal songs without breaking down to a specific genre, please let me know.

It might not be a bad idea to do some sort of Iron Maiden game to take advantage of the surge in activity on the forum. As for what kind of game, I don't know. A traditional survivor is the most logical, but doing something different would be fun too.

New album games when Senjutsu is released would make a lot of sense and would be a great way of discussing more in-depth. for example - Best lyrics from the new album or best solo, best Bruce perfomance, best Nicko performance etc etc. Could be songs head to head or just polls or whatever.

Last edited:
Having some troubles with the GMSC - can't find a lot of lists.

If anyone sees lists of the top 100 (or therein) metal songs without breaking down to a specific genre, please let me know.
Will user submitted lists have 25 entries like the last game? I wanna get an early start on creating a perfect list.

Back