Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't I just pick my LEAST favorite album?

I mean, the first 7 albums are all up there, as are the last 3, arrrgggghhhhh, can't make my mind up!!!

My favourite album would have to be "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", not a weak track on there in my opinion. If i had to put the albums in order of preference it would go:

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2. Iron Maiden
3. Piece Of Mind
4. A Matter Of Life and Death
5. The Number Of The Beast
6. Somewhere In Time
7. The X Factor
8. Brave New World
9. Killers
10 Dance Of Death
11. Powerslave
12. No Prayer For The Dying
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Virtual XI

This is a hard choice to make however hands down my favorite is PIECE OF MIND.
In Nov. 1983 this album had no air play but sold a ton of vinyl.  Great concept.  When I listen to this album it takes me back to 1983 when I was lost in every song and that was the day I said MAIDEN BLOODY RULES.  I became the biggest maiden fan on the west coast, all due to PIECE OF MIND!  And for a little old-school every maiden (vinyl only) had a message scratched into record itself.  POM= it reads "bollocks"  Anyone remember what POWERSLAVE had on it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Liberation said:
Brave New World has gotta be my favorite.

Of course, the highlights for me on that album are Brave New World, Thin Line Between Love And Hate, Out Of The Silent Planet and The Mercenary.

The X Factor cuts a close second because of the emotion put into it...and the great songs.

It's still the exact same now, although Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is challenging Brave New World.

Dr Cox said:
My favourite album would have to be "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", not a weak track on there in my opinion.
I agree!

My favorites in order:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2. Somewhere in Time
3. Piece of Mind
4. Powerslave
5. The X Factor
6. The Number of the Beast
7. A Matter of Life and Death
8. Fear Of The Dark
9. Brave New World
10. Killers
11. Dance Of Death
12. No Prayer For The Dying
13. Iron Maiden
14. Virtual XI

I'm gonna be brave here and just pick the latest album as my favourite.

The other contenders are The X Factor and Seventh Son, but I just cannot stop listening to AMOLAD. Whether it's on my computer or the copy I've had in my car since the day it came out, I can't get enough. One reason I've always loved The X Factor is because I can still go back and hear new things every time I listen to it, and I get that same vibe off AMOLAD. I think it's a classic already.

My rankings were:

01 A Matter of Life and Death
02 The X Factor
03 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
04 Somewhere in Time
05 Powerslave
06 Piece of Mind
07 The Number of the Beast
08 Iron Maiden
09 Brave New World
10 Dance of Death
11 Virtual XI
12 Killers
13 Fear of the Dark
14 No Prayer for the Dying

Really can't answer...

I love all the albums !!!

& I don't want to put one or another on first, second, etc...

I'm happy to choose to listen to this one now, and another one after...and the day after it would be changing, etc...

But can we understand me ???  :blink:

I guess a beginner should give his opinion on this question. For me, the two albums competing for the title were Powerslave and Seventh Son. The remaining 12 all range from very good to excellent, but these were the two first albums I bought, about four years ago. Before that I had not heard any more than Hallowed be thy name and some songs from Dance of Death (Rainmaker, No more lies, the title track and Paschendale, all are tracks that I enjoy a lot).

When deciding which album to choose, I thought "Which album gives me the best experience when listening from beginning to end?". Powerslave opens very good, and I think the instrumental comes in just the right place (it would also match well between Back in the Village and Powerslave). Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are all good songs, in my opinion, and I think the opening riff of BITV is insanely cool. I have noticed that quite many regard these songs as filler material, I have never shared that opinion. When the album then closes with two songs containing some of the more memorable moments in Maiden's music (the guitar solos in Powerslave and the part in RotAM from the quiet part ends until the song returns to the initial theme) this is killer. Simply killer.

BUT: For Seventh Son, it feels the same way, plus that the songs feel more unified. The mood of the album is apparent on all songs except CIPWM, and I think the little experimentation Maiden did after Powerslave hit the bull's eye with this one. The number of songs (relative to the total number of songs on the album) that are not only very good in my ears, but excellent, is higher than on any other Maiden album, in fact, only CIPWM (Moonchild is somewhere in between) does not strike me as excellent. In addition, Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are two of my definitive favourite songs. If somebody told me that Infinite Dreams was a bad song, I believe I would beat him with a stick.

Piece of Mind, Brave New World and AMOLAD are also contenders to the title, but for me they cannot beat Seventh Son when it comes to the total listening experience. I vote for Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I make a difference between my "favourite" album and "the best" Maiden Album.

As my "favourite" album: things like these change from time to time.  Well, enough said in the very first post of this thread.  :)

As the best "Maiden" album, it´s very difficult but overall i think it is SSOSS, because there are no weak songs on the record.  It´s very well produced, superb lyrics, great music, Dickinson perfect...  B)

So, i cannot vote, because my opinion is easily changeable.

And Up the Irons...  :ninja:

sorry, i needed to write that.  :blush:

My favourites seem to be around different albums
I voted for Notb as it has three of my favourites more than any other album
I've got to like Brave New World a lot recently though

Dance Of Death, thanks to the songs: Dance Of Death, Paschendale, No More Lies, Montsegur and Journeyman

AMOLAD is a VERY close second, with SSOASS and NOTB not far behind

Up The Irons!!! :yey:

I've changed my opinion, and now my favourite album is Amolad. TCDR, BTATS, TROBB, FTGGOG and Lord of Light are absolutely great songs. Almost all the songs are also long and progressive, which is a really smart move from Maiden. It's impressive, that after 30 years of playing, Maiden can still write classic albums  :yey:

The Number of the beast FTW!!! The Prisnoer, Invaders, Run to the hills and The Number of the beast, but the greates is Hallowed be thy name!

Iron Maiden : quite good record, not among the best but songs like Prowler, Phantom Of The Opera and Strange World are outstanding! Worst tracks : Charllote and the Maiden anthem(!). Crippled by bad production.

Killers : Better production, but somewhat equal ranking in my opinion like the first album. Twilight Zone is my favourite from this one, there aren't any bad songs overall, but not much whoow stuff from this one.

666 : Very good one, altrough songs like RTTH get overplayed and start to be boring over the time...Hallowed Be Thy Name, 22A.A, Prisoner, Children Of The Damned...great songs, among the best for sure! Only one that i don't like much is Gangland.

Piece Of Mind : Excellent. Among the best true-heavy-metal albums ever. Only weak point is Quest For Fire, and Trooper, altrough an excellent song, also got overplayed.

Powerslave : Excellent. Stunning guitar work. Title track is among the best, ROTAM is possibly the best epic, Aces High is a great song and great as an opener...23:58, heavy metal! Average tracks : Back In The Village, and Big'Orra.

Somewhere In Time : The best one! I really like the synth work, the chorused guitar sound, the futuristic theme and the general '80s feel in it. Smith's best...his guitar work is absolutely stunning on this one. This one has my top3 Maiden songs : CSIT, SOM, and SIASL. Weak points : Heaven Can Wait, great song overall, but not on the level of everything else on SIT, until things get rolling on the singalong part. Alex; beutiful music, low-rated lyrics.

Seventh Son : My second favourite. Experimental, progressive stuff, no need to explain further. Average songs : Prophecy, because it doesn't generally feel like other stuff on the album, great intro and outro, but i don't like Bruce's singing here. Below average songs : Can I Play With Madness.

No Prayer : Overall good record, some very nice songs, i can also hear a bit of the SIT sound in the guitar work, and the intro to the Fates Warning also reminds of Deja-Vu (eh...deja vu!). However, stuff seems a bit unfinished...songs don't have a real climax, they just get rolled in, and then rolled out all of sudden. Fates Warning is nice, the title song too, Public Enema No1, Mother Russia...Lots of average songs too, weak point probably Hooks in you (sorry H, you're a real inspiration to me, but this is your worst piece of work).

Fear Of The Dark : Hmm. Good too, but a lot of mediocre, filler songs, title track is great for live, but not so great on the record. The opener is the worst one, i really don't like Bruce's raw voice and that almost-speed-metal style. ATSS, Judas Be My Guide, great songs too...Rest is pretty much mediocre.

XF and VXI : see the worst albums thread. Explained there.

Brave New World : Great album. Good opener, love the Nicko's drumming on this one, guitar work is phenomenal also, no bad songs, couple of average ones. Best : hmm, probably the title track or Dream Of Mirrors...

Dance Of Death : Average. Opener (Wildest Dreams) lacks some energy that others have, but i love the part when guitar solos kick in, and everything to the end. One phenomenal song, Paschendale, couple of good ones, Rainmaker (great lyrics!), No More Lies...everything else is basically pretty much average.

AMOLAD : Better than DoD and everything in the '90s. On level with Brave New World, in my opinion. Sometimes inovative and exciting, sometimes dull...repeating choruses, the dark-clean intros on 60% of the songs. Different World is excellent, Ben Breeg is nice too, BTATS is great, other songs are sometimes boring, sometimes great, depends where you are, they are pretty lenghty! Some people have a really high rating for this album, in my opinion it's good and Maiden are still rocking, but it's not that great like the '80s stuff. Still, far from dissapointment!

Zare said:
Piece Of Mind : Excellent. Among the best true-heavy-metal albums ever. Only weak point is Quest For Fire, and Trooper, altrough an excellent song, also got overplayed.

Are you saying that The Trooper is a weak song AND overplayed OR are you saying that The Trooper is simply overplayed?

Great summary and welcome, mate!

I voted for Powerslave.
It is by far my favourite album...why? Check it out and you will know why!
My favourite songs are: Flash of The Blade, Aces High and of course Rime of The Ancient Mariner :ok:

Yay, another poster who appreciates "Flash of the Blade". Would be a nice surprise if they would play that one (or The Duellists, imagine how cool that mid section could become with three guitars!). Just for mentioning a song outside the typical four as one of your favourites, I'll give you a praise.  B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back