Did any of the songs from The Book Of Souls enter your top 10 maiden songs list?

I don't really have a top 10 list but Book Of Souls would probably be in there. Such a killer song. Red and Black, and Eternity are killer too!

After a 4 days of break from it I listened again and two songs end in my top 10: TBOS at #6 and EOTC at #3. Also IESF is just out of 10 at #12.

It is very early days but The Book Of Souls and Empire Of The Clouds will probably nudge some old-time favourites out. Perhaps Shadow Of The Valley too. And The Red And The Black and Speed Of Light. This is a very high quality album.

i think there may be a few entries which amazing to think that a band with 16 studio albums can still release something so amazing

I was never able to make a top 10 Maiden songs... because they have so many perfect songs, it will take me ages to decide what songs must be in the top 10 list, but I'll try to do one some day. And Empire of The Clouds, The Book of Souls and If Eternity Should Fail are strong candidates.

No, while the album as a whole I feel is better than the last three records, it's not a great album in my opinion. Some very good tracks, but none i would place near maidens peak tracks.

The only song of the modern era I would include would be The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers would be up there also.

It's hard to have a top ten of Maiden as they have so many great songs.
It's also hard to compare the very new with the old.

However, I am absolutely loving The Red and the Black, I have it perhaps surpassing Starblind and Lord of Light from the past two albums. All these three beat everything from Dance of death, Brave new world, Fear of the dark, No prayer for the Dying, X factor and Virtual XI and even Killers.
Not sure if they beat:
Hallowed
Powerslave
Revalations
Infinite Dreams
Phantom of the Opera

Unfortunately not. The best track on the album for me is the TBOS, but doesn't come close to top 10. The band need to work harder next time, composing, quality controling, recording, the whole deal! The album is half-baked.

My top 10 now would be
#1: Wasted Years
#2: Empire of the Clouds
#3: Hallowed Be Thy Name
#4: Rime of the Ancient Mariner
#5: The Book of Souls
#6: Revelations
#7: Ghost of the Navigator
#8: Where Eagles Dare
#9: 22 Acacia Avenue
#10: Dance of Death

Maybe I'm weird but the complete album is great, maybe the best ever from Iron Maiden. And I have bought piece of mind in the year of 1984 :) Mixing is bad, although.

To the top ten:

Book of souls
Just because it sounded amazing in live concert , here in Finland). It sounded like mmhhmm.. WAR!

Death or Glory:
Instant hit! Should have been the first single from the album.

Empire of the clouds:
A Masterpiece!

Now have to remove 3 songs from my top ten. It will be hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back