Deep dark secret

I hope that I don't get nailed to a board as a heretic for saying this, but I really like the Dio Black Sabbath much better than the Ozzy Sabbath.  I know that the original Sabbath was great, and meant a ton to what Heavy Metal is/became.  However, for just listening to, I really prefer the Dio stuff.

I agree with you, Wasted.

Although I like Ozzy-era Sabbath too. And Martin-era Sabbath. Just not as much as I like Dio-era Sabbath.

Wow, what a secret wasted, I guess most people would agree with you.

Not me. The Dio-era is not my favourite Sabbath-era: Era is a rediculous word for the couple of albums he produced with Sabbath: Only 3 albums of which I like 2.

Only 2 or 3 people on this forum know Sabbath's work with Tony Martin. A shame that hardly more people try this stuff out (at least I have never seen anything that hints this way). They don't know what they miss. The most underestimated, underrated music that I can think of.   :notworthy:
This disappointment is not my secret.

This is my shameful secret that I share with you today:

I have seen 58 John Wayne films. I plan to see at least 40 or 50 more.

Most people that I know (as in 'talk to in person') like Ozzy's stuff w/ Sabbath better and don't like the Dio stuff as well.  However, the guy I ride with to work does like the Martin stuff quite a lot.  I have to admit that I don't know it (Tony Martin's stuff) as well- maybe that is a dark secret as well!  I'll look into it, thanks for the tip, Foro.

Wasted CLV said:
Most people that I know (as in 'talk to in person') like Ozzy's stuff w/ Sabbath better and don't like the Dio stuff as well.  However, the guy I ride with to work does like the Martin stuff quite a lot.  I have to admit that I don't know it (Tony Martin's stuff) as well- maybe that is a dark secret as well!  I'll look into it, thanks for the tip, Foro.

Thanks for your interest! If you like you can start checking it out (without buying ;) ) -> in this topic.

I went to the Testament/Megadeth/Priest gig a few weeks back and didn't have a single beer. It felt kinda weird buying Pepsi at a metal event, but I was sick and had been for a few days, so I didn't want to risk anything by getting pissed. I enjoyed the show a lot, even if I didn't go all-out crazy at the fence as I usually do  :blush:

I did smoke a bit of pot, but not enough for it to ruin the experience :innocent:

Talking of bands and dark secrets, I still to this day remain totally unmoved by Iced Earth and I have never listened to Dream Theatre - at all (aside from their Number of the Beast live effort).

@Albie, you like some trash bands, right? In case you haven't heard it before, I'd like to recommend you Iced Earth's second album...

Night of the Stormrider

... which is full of in-your-face-riffs and tempo changes (like Maiden).
A lot of Iced Earth's strongest tracks are on this record.

This could be your cup of tea, at least more than other Iced Earth albums. Myself, I find it much better and a lot more adventurous than their recent stuff. A true classic in the metal genre.

Tracklist:

1. "Angels Holocaust"     4:53
2. "Stormrider"              4:47
3. "The Path I Choose"   5:54
4. "Before the Vision"     1:35
5. "Mystical End"           4:44
6. "Desert Rain"             6:56
7. "Pure Evil"                 6:33
8. "Reaching the End"     1:11
9. "Travel in Stygian"      9:32

Forostar said:
@Albie, you like some trash bands, right?
I do indeed. Thanks for the recommendation - I will give it a try (I just found it on emusic).

Though you already got the music, I'll second Foro's suggestion.  Especially for you, Night of the Stormrider should really kick ass.  I like thrash too, and though Iced Earth aren't exactly thrash legends, they've got some of the best riffs in the genre.  :)

Albie said:
Talking of bands and dark secrets, I still to this day remain totally unmoved by Iced Earth and I have never listened to Dream Theatre - at all (aside from their Number of the Beast live effort).

I know Iced Earth rather well but I'm also completely unmoved by them. I'm not really into Dream Theater either, although they have a few decent songs.

As for bands I'm not familiar with... I only have superficial knowledge of several historically important bands that get a lot of praise around here, like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Helloween and Slayer. I suppose every metal fan is obligated to check that stuff out at some point, but they just never interested me.

Unmoved? Unknown is still possible as well.

It's very possible that people check the wrong albums. Most bands Shadow mentioned have pretty mixed discographies, especially IE, JP & Helloween.

Take Priest:
Mid-seventies Judas Priest is different from their late seventies work, which is different again from the eighties stuff, which is different from Painkiller, which is different from the nineties with Ripper, which is different from the one but last Priest album (the return of Halford) which is again different from the last album.

As a metalfan, it's almost impossible to be unmoved by every single record that they have done. Just my 2 cents of course, and I am not that neutral, Priest is my 2nd favourite band, right after Maiden. I love them because of their rich discography and the variation within it.

The main problem is that there is so much different stuff I want to check out at the moment, and I just don't have the time ;)

To check all that stuff takes time indeed.
:)

Sorry Per, I can't call them metalheads.  That sentence sounds like 1 + 1 = 3.

:D ;)

Back