Deep dark secret

Shadow said:
As for bands I'm not familiar with... I only have superficial knowledge of several historically important bands that get a lot of praise around here, like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Helloween and Slayer. I suppose every metal fan is obligated to check that stuff out at some point, but they just never interested me.
Helloween does not really do anything for me either nowadays. I was quite keen on them in the mid to late eighties though. And Dr Stein on the Live in the UK release is one of the best live tracks I have heard by almost any band.

As for Slayer, well I won't have a bad word said about them. But then again, I do understand peoples gripe about them. :D

Albie, you should check out DT. They're not for everyone - a lot of their stuff is complicated musical wankery. As a musician, I love that - in fact, it's the reason I first got into them. But they also write a lot of great melodic music - in fact, they have a very strong Pink Floyd influence to their sound when they're not playing three thousand notes per second.

If you're into the musical wankery, DT is unsurpassed. All four instrumentalists are world-class virtuosos; there is no other band (not even Rush) with members of that skill level at every position. The ultimate indulgence is the instrumental track "The Dance Of Eternity", but they also write some great songs with complicated fast music. "Beyond This Life" is one of my favorites for that, and "Metropolis Part 1" is perhaps their most legendary song with both great lyrics and complicated instrumental sections.

They're also good with more mainstream metal (even if they make it a little more complicated than usual). "Pull Me Under" is the best known here. My favorite is "In The Name Of God", and "The Glass Prison" is also great for that style.

For the more atmospheric / melodic stuff, "Octavarium" is one of the best (the title song from their 8th album, not the whole album). "Surrounded" is my favorite - not just in this style, but my favorite DT song period. "The Spirit Carries On" and "Trial Of Tears" also excel in this department.

For those with the endurance, the 42-minute "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" combines all of the above and more superbly.

If you're looking for a single album, I'd say the best 4 are:
Images And Words (contains "Metropolis Part 1", "Pull Me Under", "Surrounded", and "Learning To Live" is not to be missed)
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory (contains "The Dance Of Eternity", "Beyond This Life", "The Spirit Carries On" - read the Wikipedia article first, as the story is a bit hard to get from the lyrics)
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (title track and "The Glass Prison")
Train Of Thought (contains "In The Name Of God", arguably their heaviest album)

Shadow said:
I know Iced Earth rather well but I'm also completely unmoved by them. I'm not really into Dream Theater either, although they have a few decent songs.

As for bands I'm not familiar with... I only have superficial knowledge of several historically important bands that get a lot of praise around here, like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Helloween and Slayer. I suppose every metal fan is obligated to check that stuff out at some point, but they just never interested me.

I know I'm going to get a wave of recommendations from Foro for this but... I'm not really that moved by Black Sabbath either.  The other three of those "classic" bands i really like, they're among my favourites, but Sabbath always seems to be a good band without really having that "kick" that would make them one of my more-listened bands.  Sure, I enjoy listening to them when I do, but I don't listen to them actively.  I've only properly listened to some of their early work, though, and I slightly prefer Dio over Ozzy.
As for Priest, I just listened to Painkiller today and that album never stops kicking major ass. 

I guess I should give Sabbath one serious try though, but I'm always preoccupied with other bands.  Now I'm getting into Blind Guardian and Blaze, especially Blaze. 

SinisterMinisterX said:
Albie, you should check out DT.
Train Of Thought (contains "In The Name Of God", arguably their heaviest album)
OK, you've sold it to me. I've just put a bid on for that very album on ebay.

Albie said:
OK, you've sold it to me. I've just put a bid on for that very album on ebay.
You do have Spotify too if I remember correctly. Check them now on Spotify (Legal streaming service), they have their whole discography.

No I don't have Spotify - tell the truth, I'd never heard of it before. I've been on their site just now reading up about them.

Albie said:
No I don't have Spotify - tell the truth, I'd never heard of it before. I've been on their site just now reading up about them.
Do what I told Invader. Either subscribe for 9,99 a month OR subscribe for only one month and invite yourself to a free account (you get at least two invites when you go premium.  :))

It's worth it, even though some artists have chosen not to participate.

Invader said:
I know I'm going to get a wave of recommendations from Foro for this but... I'm not really that moved by Black Sabbath either. 

I have already done that and I remember you reacted in that Tony Martin topic. Did you listen to (some of those) albums? I ask that without setting a knife at your throat, but sometimes I wonder if people have checked things when they keep saying that they are not that really moved. I am also not moved by music that I have never heard. ;)

Best regards from Forostar (also to the others!)
(the wife is in the hospital now, because of high blood pressure (that aspect is better now), there is a chance that the baby will come soon one of these days - we'll see how things go, I am staying the nights there as well - now I am at home for a short while)

Or, if you don't want to jump through the hoops that Spotify requires:

imeem.com has all the music streaming online, completely free from the start (though some music requires free registration to hear).

Forostar said:
I have already done that and I remember you reacted in that Tony Martin topic. Did you listen to (some of those) albums? I ask that without setting a knife at your throat, but sometimes I wonder if people have checked things when they keep saying that they are not that really moved. I am also not moved by music that I have never heard. ;)

I checked a few Youtube videos from those IIRC, at least Headless Cross I do remember.  I'll confess that I didn't download anything, but once I have the time and interest to get into Sabbath more, I'll check out your post again. :)  You recommended Gamma Ray to me last year (or maybe late 2007) and I didn't check them out immediately, but when I got into them I did re-read your post.

Well I just have to say that Headless Cross is one of my all time favorite albums. Out of 8 songs, there`s not one weak (at least not in my opinion), only great and superb songs. That`s what I don`t like on the Ozzy albums. Take Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for instance. I really like the whole album, but... damn I hate Fluff. It just kills the whole flow of the album.

As far as I'm concerned everything went wrong for Sabbath with the release of Technical Ecstacy.The only one I remotely liked after that was Born Again.I thought Ian Gillan was amazing on that one.

I thought Sabbaths best period included Paranoid(not the song-I think its one of the worst they've come up with) Volume 4 and Masters of Reality.

Michael Jackson got me into metal. When he died, a lot of stuff about him was on VH 1 classic, and one night I fell asleep watching it , and when I woke up, dream warriors by silken was on. The show was metal mania. I kept watching, and decided I liked the music, and just stuck with that type since then. I'm not supposed to listen to metal, so that's why it took me till 11 or 12 to get into it.

Metalheadlady said:
Michael Jackson got me into metal. When he died, a lot of stuff about him was on VH 1 classic, and one night I fell asleep watching it , and when I woke up, dream warriors by silken was on. The show was metal mania. I kept watching, and decided I liked the music, and just stuck with that type since then. I'm not supposed to listen to metal, so that's why it took me till 11 or 12 to get into it.
Silken? I have never heard of them. The only Dream Warriors I  know is the one by Dokken.

Metalheadlady said:
I'm not supposed to listen to metal, so that's why it took me till 11 or 12 to get into it.

Why are you not supposed to listen to metal?

i meant dokken. my keyboard has issues. my grandparents are pitos.(spanish word) i've got no clue why, but ive managed to get iron maiden's new cd and the somewhere back in time one. i also have a few biographies on some people in some bands i like. what i really want is some of Iron Maiden's 80's albums, the record kind. i have a record player, so those would be nice. right now, i'm trying to get my friend to get me an iron maiden t-shirt, but she isnt cooperating.

Trying to think of something but I can't.
There's only one thing I can think of, and I'm taking that to my grave.
I'll get back with something.

Metalheadlady said:
i meant dokken.
oh ok. Now I need to think of a deep dark secret..... Oh I got one. I'm Christian  :devil2: Probally the only one on this forum too.

Onhell is.  I am, but not 'practicing'.  There are more floating here and there. 

Funny, I now have Powerslave.

I need a new secret.....

Back