Death Or Glory

How good is Death or Glory on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Definitely a grower, but I've come to like it a lot. It is at first overshadowed by the more epic and moody tracks on the album, but like SOL, it's a great, upbeat rocker and Bruce sounds killer.

I totally agree. I wish Bruce would just embrace that his voice is slightly lower now. Sure, he can still hit the high stuff (and he keeps going for higher stuff because he's a stubborn bastard), but he sounds much better in this range.
His lower range has aged very gracefully. He has the best delivery and expression in that range now too I think. His upper range can still be impressive and I'm still wowed by some of that stuff, but he definitely shines in the low range now.

Bruce delivers on all ranges here: a soaring high register prechorus and gruff NPOTD-like vocals during chorus.

The difference between the rockers on The Book If Souls and those on the other reunion albums is that this time round it is obvious the band is having fun. I don't think Maiden's rockers have sounded so upbeat and full of energy since Piece Of Mind.

Plus every rocker contains dual solos which is great!!

Aces high from reunion era. Very catchy pre-chorus, catchy chorus, great energy and Adrian's Solo is absolutely amazing, just like Bruce vocals. I love this song. One of their best short rockers ever.

9.5/10

The difference between the rockers on The Book If Souls and those on the other reunion albums is that this time round it is obvious the band is having fun. I don't think Maiden's rockers have sounded so upbeat and full of energy since Piece Of Mind.

Plus every rocker contains dual solos which is great!!

I completely agree, though I might not go so far back as Piece of Mind. And the amount of solos on this record in general is astounding!

I like the short rockers on this album quite a lot, including Death or Glory here. I actually quite enjoy the lyrics, and the song is really just a lot of fun, a hard-hitting rocker in the early 80s Maiden style. The band really seems to have been enjoying themselves on the two Smith/Dickinson tracks.

I was listening to 22AA today and was shocked how similar DOG and You are running away... part sounded. Vintage H songwriting right there...

I don't understand why so many are hung up on the monkey lyric, especially after being provided with the explanation that it is a quote from the subject of the song! I feel like this objection is rendered meaningless because of the explanation......

I never minded it in the sense that I disliked it, and after it was attributed to a quote by the Red Baron, I thought it was cool.

Dave Murray's solo on Death or Glory is my favourite solo on the album. Both solos fit the Red Baron lyrics perfectly, but it's difficult for me to explain how, and Dave's is so dam melodic!

7/10. This is my least favorite song on The Book Of Souls as it has been since I got a grasp on the album. However I think it's a solid rocker and has some great energy. I think the vocals are great, but I don't really care for the chorus. I see this song as a solid filler on the album. I'm glad it's on the album, but I wouldn't rate the album any lower if this song wasn't included. Actually I would rate the album higher as this song brings my rating down a little lol.

Love this one. It's stuck in my head. Favourite part? When Bruce starts singing. "I see the enemy!". Love the way he belts that out.

I didn't really enjoy this song at first but now I really love it. This really shows Maiden's ability to write short rockers that stand up with their best songs. Really has that Smith/Dickinson level of quality that is all over their 80s stuff. The lyrics are a ton of fun too. When I saw the title I was expecting something similar to Judas Priest, this is way better.

The instrumental section is a real highlight, especially the slide guitar solo. Has a similar atmosphere to Dave's in Where Eagles Dare (one of my favorites). One of the best solos on the album by far.

I think my main problem with the song is that the energy isn't quite there. The tempo seems to drag a bit for me (probably the only time I'll ever say that about a Maiden song). It almost sounds a little tired.

I get why those who favour the proggy side of Maiden wouldn't be big on this one. But my take on the Play Classics crowd when they dismiss a track like this is that they don't really like Maiden, they only like their memories of what Maiden used to mean to them.
Because if this song had come out in 1985, it would rank among their most successful singles ever. It combines the best attributes of two of their signature 45s: the sweeping, soaring melodies of Aces High and the shuffling, insistent rhythms of Running Free.
The lyric is relatable, but still interesting, the solos cinematic, the pre-chorus and the chorus memorable. It's accessible to the mainstream fan of heavy music without sacrificing the distinct Maiden sound. And, like many other have said, it's a load of fun.

Back