Death Or Glory

How good is Death or Glory on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
But the lyrics are about war and death but belittle the horrors of it and make it sound like fun.

Yes I Agree, It's about the Excitement & Adventure of War. It was fun for von Richthofen and other people like Rommel and Patton loved war they enjoyed it very much. 9 out of 10 maiden songs about war have a very anti-war message (2 minutes to midnight, The Trooper, The Legacy) but it isn't like they haven't portrayed War & Battle this way before (Die With Your Boots On, Flash of the Blade, Aces High)

Severian and frus,
you're both right, there have been other songs like this such as Flash Of The Blade and Sun And Steel (which I don't enjoy for the same reason).
However, I would say that Die With Your Boots on (with lines like "Predicting War for millions in the hope that one appears") has a strong anti-war message. And Aces High gives a gripping account of the pressure and stress the RAF pilots had to endure, but does not include lines like Death Or Glory's "I kill to quench my thirst", which show the bloodlust of the protagonist.

Well I guess they (that is, Bruce) thinks the protagonist might have had such a relationship towards the war.
For instance, the song "Killers" I find much more bloodthirsty and explicit (although it doesn't sound that lightweight). They just like to try to get into someone's head sometimes like that

Tailgunner is also a lightweight and careless song, (seemingly) also about wartime pilots (although it's a different story altogether)

Severian and frus,
you're both right, there have been other songs like this such as Flash Of The Blade and Sun And Steel (which I don't enjoy for the same reason).
However, I would say that Die With Your Boots on (with lines like "Predicting War for millions in the hope that one appears") has a strong anti-war message. And Aces High gives a gripping account of the pressure and stress the RAF pilots had to endure, but does not include lines like Death Or Glory's "I kill to quench my thirst", which show the bloodlust of the protagonist.
You Must Hate Manowar

Predicting War for millions in the hope that one appears

I Always thought this meant they hoped a Disaster and Total War does happen, I thought it was about Book of Revelation meaning when the War is over Jesus will return to save everyone so lets get it over with and Die with our boots on

I just love the shuffle feel on this, can't remember if they've done that before? running free I guess, but is there other songs that slips my mind?
This was one of the songs I anticipated the least because of the title, thinking it would be another military bravado song, but it turned out to be one very nice little rocker. It's agreat one to hum in your head while working and of course I love the quotes from the baron in the lyrics, brings me back to being 10 years old and reding way too much about planes from wwI/wwII. Good shit.

I just love the shuffle feel on this, can't remember if they've done that before? running free I guess, but is there other songs that slips my mind?
This was one of the songs I anticipated the least because of the title, thinking it would be another military bravado song, but it turned out to be one very nice little rocker. It's agreat one to hum in your head while working and of course I love the quotes from the baron in the lyrics, brings me back to being 10 years old and reding way too much about planes from wwI/wwII. Good shit.

I believe Twilight Zone, and Drifter also got a similar shuffle feel. I guess this is the reason Death or Glory reminds me of the old days.

I mainly like this song because of its vocal melodies.

Turn like the deeviiiiil
Shoot straight from the suuuuuun

(If I could pick one moment on the album showing how I like "my" Bruce singing at his best, it's gotta be during this word "sun": awesome, powerful, cool sounding Bruce)
:edmetal:

The riffs are nice too.
Exactly my sentiments. Also, I love the rhythm of his singing, especially the part when he signs "the book that he wroTTTe". So fun!

I still think the pre-chorus is a lot better than the actual chorus. While I like this song just fine it's another example of Maiden's shorter songs being less worthy (IMO obviously) than the longer numbers.

This one is growing on me. Every time I hear it, I like it a little bit more. It's still not one of my favorites, but a fun little song. A nice breather in between denser songs. Bruce gives a great performance too, one of his best on the album.

Plus the Adrian Smith slide guitar solo is pretty cool and unique!

If there is a weak point here (apart from the production which is not good -in my opinion of course), it is the drumming(sound + playing). In WTRRD , for instance, Nicko is pushing the song forward. Here I feel like he is playing a bit slower than the rest of the band.

If there is a weak point here (apart from the production which is not good -in my opinion of course), it is the drumming(sound + playing). In WTRRD , for instance, Nicko is pushing the song forward. Here I feel like he is playing a bit slower than the rest of the band.
Probably it feels to you like this because of swing-like beat. I personally love it, something new...

The drums on this song are much better and tighter than on When The Drums Run Weak.

Last edited:
Definitely a grower, but I've come to like it a lot. It is at first overshadowed by the more epic and moody tracks on the album, but like SOL, it's a great, upbeat rocker and Bruce sounds killer.

I mainly like this song because of its vocal melodies.

Turn like the deeviiiiil
Shoot straight from the suuuuuun

(If I could pick one moment on the album showing how I like "my" Bruce singing at his best, it's gotta be during this word "sun": awesome, powerful, cool sounding Bruce)
:edmetal:

I totally agree. I wish Bruce would just embrace that his voice is slightly lower now. Sure, he can still hit the high stuff (and he keeps going for higher stuff because he's a stubborn bastard), but he sounds much better in this range.

Back