Coronavirus

Ah fuck, they will surely have a funeral that will turn into a super spreader event. Better stock up on toilet paper asap.

Not cruel, just somewhat heartless. I personally don't like this line of "Social-Darwinist" thinking, but to each his own, I guess.

For the record, I also don't think using the same spoon is a good idea. I also think it's careless and probably very unwise. Yet I hope they are going to be fine and won't suffer from it. If we all were to die for our stupidity, it would be a very barren world indeed.

And yes, I do think that the churches should be the last place to close. After the the hospitals have imploded and crumbled, then still the church should be open for those needing help, if possible in any way. But even though I firmly believe that even the Communion should never be denied, I also think it serves no purpose to not use precaution and to be as careful as possible. Face masks, distancing, proper desinfection before communing (but then again, we don't use spoons) - the risk would be really low, from what we seem to know about the virus.

If I couldn't give glory to the God, what's the point in surviving? But to be wantonly disrespectful of any dangers and precautions has nothing in common with either piety or humility and I frown upon that also. Just being more understading towards others' mistakes and bad sides, I hope, 'cause I myself have plenty.

Yeah, you know what I mean. The houses of worship. The "spiritual hospitals". Just not being pre-emptively inclusive myself, in our country there's not much of those other types, bar a synagogue or two.

Blimey, when I thought that I had read everything someone advocated for keeping indoor places of worship where social distancing is not observed and coronavirus can thrive to remain open!

With all due respect, is it not possible to pray at home and get remote spiritual feedback? If I can lecture from home to keep my students safe I guess most religious things could be done remotely, couldn’t they?

Just not being pre-emptively inclusive myself, in our country there's not much of those other types, bar a synagogue or two.
There's more churches here, but the gap is closing.

Anyway I am fine with places of worship being open with strict restrictions. As long as they respect the fact that COVID will infect regardless of religious location, they should be open. Lots of people depend on them for mental health, and that's fine. Direct contact shouldn't be needed for the act of worship.

If you tell me I have to close places of worship OR hospitals, obviously I'm going to pick places of worship.

With all due respect, is it not possible to pray at home and get remote spiritual feedback?
0ADEAD80-0AB6-49C4-AC81-4B80C35A93F0_1_105_c.jpeg

This would make it seem like a “yes”.

Blimey, when I thought that I had read everything someone advocated for keeping indoor places of worship where social distancing is not observed and coronavirus can thrive to remain open!

With all due respect, is it not possible to pray at home and get remote spiritual feedback? If I can lecture from home to keep my students safe I guess most religious things could be done remotely, couldn’t they?

Well, let me put it this way. Sure, God can come to me everywhere, true enough... but I can come to God only somewhere, actually. And I want to come, I need to come. To me (and probably some other people as well), the physical act is just as important as the internal one.

But yes, as our churches have been closed for nearly two months now we have no other option than to pray at home and possibly watch a stream of a priest+cameraman only Mass. And I've begrudgingly accepted it, because I try to be as respectful as possible towards my government, although their approach gets crazier and crazier in general (I already wrote about this before, including the completely incomprehensible speeches of our PM, the "carrot cupcake", now there are some really bizarre rules coming on Monday etc.).

But when I go to the supermarket and I see tens of people not sanitising their hands in any way (or, well, sometimes not even maintaining basic hygiene), having their face masks half-assed under the nose and rummaging through the bread and pastry, I wonder - why exactly is the relative low-contact church closed? (especially since the attendance has been lowering for quite some time now).

For the record, I do not want people to die, my dilemma is if it is heartless to think that they had it coming.

It's heartless to think they're in some way deserving of it. I don't think it's heartless to recognise that people who get ill as a result of taking needless risks, or spread illness to others by taking risks, are in part responsible for this outcome.

What I also can't get out of my head today is some fucking moron whose profile I stumbled upon on Instagram (he's a friend's husband) who shared photos of their wedding with a caption like "I hate people who didn't let us have more people over at our wedding because of a made up virus". How stupid do you have to be that after everything that has transpired with the virus since January you still think it's a made up virus?

My partner and I actually went to a Catholic Church service at a nearby Catholic landmark when the restrictions were starting to ease up in the late summer. I was pretty impressed with how they handled the restrictions: very limited capacity (less than 10), no communion, masks, everyone gets a pew to themselves. I wouldn’t go every week, but as a one off it seemed fine. That said, I can’t say I’m sympathetic to places of worship being a priority to stay open, especially when lots of at risk folks go to church. My mom, a devout Catholic, has been “attending” church remotely since March.

What I also can't get out of my head today is some fucking moron whose profile I stumbled upon on Instagram (he's a friend's husband) who shared photos of their wedding with a caption like "I hate people who didn't let us have more people over at our wedding because of a made up virus". How stupid do you have to be that after everything that has transpired with the virus since January you still think it's a made up virus?

Unfortunately there is a lot of those, over the world, in my country, everywhere. Then again, how many conspiracy theorists are there in other areas? 9/11, chemtrails, flat Earth, Sandy Hook... this is just another one.

A lot of the more "regular folk" people here are already distrustful towards media and news, ever since they feel they've been lied to/given misinterpretations back at the time of the immigrant crisis of 2015+. I'm not saying they are in the right, I'm just stating that as a fact that won't go away.

And, BTW, to quote Wikipedia:

Postmodern thinkers frequently describe knowledge claims and value systems as contingent or socially-conditioned, framing them as products of political, historical, or cultural discourses and hierarchies. Common targets of postmodern criticism include universalist ideas of objective reality, morality, truth, human nature, reason, science, language, and social progress. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to self-consciousness, self-referentiality, epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, and irreverence.

So to me it's not necessarily stupidity, it's more bringing the current discourse/ideology to its logical conclusion and living it fully. I absolutely hate it, of course, but I find it only natural.

Oh, and

It's heartless to think they're in some way deserving of it. I don't think it's heartless to recognise that people who get ill as a result of taking needless risks, or spread illness to others by taking risks, are in part responsible for this outcome.

Agree with this, NP's original post was kinda ambivalent to me as to what was the intention.

For the record, I do not want people to die, my dilemma is if it is heartless to think that they had it coming.

Sorry I don't think it is. Fuck them. We all know how the virus is spread, they aren't just putting themselves at risk, maybe if it was only themselves at risk I would feel sorry for them, but if they catch the virus they could potentially kill anyone at risk that they come into contact with.

I saw on Twitter during the week someone tweeted a story of how her grandmother cared for her grandfather who had dementia. The grandmother went to a family wedding were some of the guests are anti-maskers, the grandmother caught the virus and passed it onto the grandfather who is now dead.

Back