Coronavirus

Website of our national healthcare insurance agency :

4Zc3K6j7xOOLQym42IMntrCyYfUYjXwCdBXxNaJED_M.jpg

Unfortunately there is a lot of those, over the world, in my country, everywhere. Then again, how many conspiracy theorists are there in other areas? 9/11, chemtrails, flat Earth, Sandy Hook... this is just another one.
Yeah, but those are small percentages. There might be a few thousand real flat-earthers, for example. Anti-mask conspiracy theorists have been bolstered by the embrace of the concept by conservative movements worldwide, most notably in the USA.

Good news, but let’s see how the approval process is handled. Also, might prefer to wait for the Moderna vaccine, since it’s a more traditional approach, easier to store, and was initially more effective (before Pfizer claimed 95% efficacy as well).

I’m all for vaccines, but I’m a little leery of jumping right in on the first vaccine to ever do RNA modification of your T-cells when it requires supercooling to avoid spoiling and is receiving accelerated approval under an untrustworthy administration. This is the sort of thing that sounds like the backstory to a mutant apocalypse.

receiving accelerated approval under an untrustworthy administration.
I am less worried about this knowing that it wasn't made by an American company and that European governments (presumably) are going to also quickly approve the vaccine.

Reactions: Jer
Plus RNA vaccines have been approved for use in veterinary medicine for some time. There just wasn't a pressing need to develop an RNA vaccine for human use, although advantages of this type of vaccine have been stated for some time. By 'pressing need', I assume having a lot of money for the massive trial programmes, and/or the prospect of a hell of a lot of money for producing the end product, has played a big part here.

Unfortunately there is a lot of those, over the world, in my country, everywhere. Then again, how many conspiracy theorists are there in other areas? 9/11, chemtrails, flat Earth, Sandy Hook... this is just another one.

A lot of the more "regular folk" people here are already distrustful towards media and news, ever since they feel they've been lied to/given misinterpretations back at the time of the immigrant crisis of 2015+. I'm not saying they are in the right, I'm just stating that as a fact that won't go away.

And, BTW, to quote Wikipedia:

Postmodern thinkers frequently describe knowledge claims and value systems as contingent or socially-conditioned, framing them as products of political, historical, or cultural discourses and hierarchies. Common targets of postmodern criticism include universalist ideas of objective reality, morality, truth, human nature, reason, science, language, and social progress. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to self-consciousness, self-referentiality, epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, and irreverence.

So to me it's not necessarily stupidity, it's more bringing the current discourse/ideology to its logical conclusion and living it fully. I absolutely hate it, of course, but I find it only natural.
Yeah, but those are small percentages. There might be a few thousand real flat-earthers, for example. Anti-mask conspiracy theorists have been bolstered by the embrace of the concept by conservative movements worldwide, most notably in the USA.

The impression I've also been getting from everyday chat and social media is that conspiracy theorism has definitely gained a lot of followers this year and worryingly moved into everyday popular thinking, rather than being restricted to the tinfoil hat-wearing niche. It varies from the classic David Icke stuff to (on a more everyday level) scepticism or outright dismissal of anything that doesn't match a person's own views and suspicions. Bizarrely, quite intelligent people will routinely write off anything from widely respected and reasonably accountable media outlets, but think nothing of accepting a really badly made meme or social media viral status without question. Psychologically, people most likely struggle with mass society and personal identity, and globalisation has really piled on the pressure.

I am less worried about this knowing that it wasn't made by an American company and that European governments (presumably) are going to also quickly approve the vaccine.
This. Health Canada and the EMA are both looking quite fondly at both the Pfizer and the Moderna vaccines. If I was hesitant about the FDA approving a vaccine, I'd wait to see what those two external organizations do - it should only be a couple of weeks behind.

The Oxford/Astra zeneca developers did their own announcement today. They class it as 90% effective based on the testing trials, but it's two doses now (or one and half, for some reason) rather than being a planned single dose vaccine. So the Government probably hasn't bought enough of that one after all.

Meanwhile, one of Paul's colleagues has been hospitalised for a week now, and another of his colleagues, guy in his 20s, has been trying to get medical help as he's showing signs of pneumonia after testing positive. Neither have underlying health conditions, both appear to have caught Covid from partners who are teachers. :(

Last edited:
I saw that AstraZeneca was 70%. Still good, bit not 90. Same article stated it's the most viable option as it's the cheapest. At the end of the day, looks like we'll have three options, all said they'll have it out next month. Mass innaculations within the next year.

Also the vaccine we signed up to buy 100 million doses of months ago. :facepalm: It is 70% with a single dose, but goes up to 90% with two separate jabs, first one a half dose and second one a full dose.

Even a vaccine with 70% effectivity would be enough to stop the pandemic in a country if sufficiently many people in that country got it, because the risk of meeting someone with the virus would be reduced by a lot. Many strict measures could be lifted.

If these vaccines are as good as reported and they can be distributed efficiently across the countries in greatest need, the pandemic will die out.

Still, the next few months can be tough for many countries, because distributing enough vaccines to make a difference will take time.

Even a vaccine with 70% effectivity would be enough to stop the pandemic in a country if sufficiently many people in that country got it, because the risk of meeting someone with the virus would be reduced by a lot. Many strict measures could be lifted.

If these vaccines are as good as reported and they can be distributed efficiently across the countries in greatest need, the pandemic will die out.

Still, the next few months can be tough for many countries, because distributing enough vaccines to make a difference will take time.
Indeed, I'm actually skeptical about the efficacy in the 90s. The flu vaccines be is like 64% effective and no one has had an issue with that.

Indeed, I'm actually skeptical about the efficacy in the 90s. The flu vaccines be is like 64% effective and no one has had an issue with that.
Wired has a great article on the Oxford-AstaZenaca one:

Whereas Pfizer and Moderna seem to be on the level, it looks like this one is being fudged hard.

Back