Coronavirus

I see the Daily Mail has started asking "what planet are they on" about the Tories handling of Dominic Cummings repeatedly breaking lockdown. This could be about to get interesting.

In Poland we have stable situation. They want to allow employers to cut salary by 50% for 12 months. At same time they rising social benefits for unemployed so they now will get more money than workers at minimal wage. Meaning that when salary will be cut you will be working 8-12h/day for less than unemployed guy is getting from government and your taxes for sitting at home.

I'm not up to speed on this development. Why do they want employers to cut salaries?

Edit: didn't see a word in there. It's to save businesses at risk of going under, I assume.

I'm not up to speed on this development. Why do they want employers to cut salaries?

Edit: didn't see a word in there. It's to save businesses at risk of going under, I assume.
Kind of. However mentality of small business owners can be described as 'you don't agree with me? GTFO, I have X students for your place' so this law will be a major stab at workforce in these companies and is rewarding doing nothing at same time. At same time politicians responsible for this law are claiming that they eradicated unemployment and poverty from Poland. And they have great excuse thanks to Covid because they were spending money like crazy for last years to buy votes from poor, uneducated and unemployed with social programs. Last weekend they police were fighting with coalition of business owners who are against bigger and bigger taxes to keep these programs going. Why? Because gatherings during epidemic are banned. At same time ruling party was doing meetings with their voters and that was ok according to president staff people.

Oh, also police arrested during these protests candidate for presidential elections and claimed that he volunteered to sit in police car. But on videos he was forced by 5-10 cops. It's a mess but we can't do anything thanks to new laws that were issued under Covid outbreak for our safety and keeping democracy, of course.

So deaths are just one side of problem. Covid situation let politicians do whatever they want and claim that this is for democracy and safety.

Reactions: Jer
For Croatia the elephant in the room was temporary ban of work on Sundays. That's on conservative (church-backed) agenda forever now, it will never be voted in, and in all probability it is unconstitutional (right to work, y'know). Today government announced the conditions are good for removal of temporary ban.

The issue is about a share of companies, mostly in retail and services, not logging in and paying their workers overtime/weekends. It's more of a bad bussiness climate thing, where working people won't report these grave violations of contract and work ethic, because the institutions are perceived as inert and corrupt. These 'enterpreneurs' also line officials' pockets with cash making whistleblowing seem like a completely futile endeavour.

The Church seems to care way more about overworked underpaid and poor population being free on Sunday morning.

The most ridiculous thing I've read since this pandemic started:

:facepalm:
I've had enough interactions with these kinds of monkeys that this is immediately believable.
Them no real monkees Wiz. Them reptiloids in disguise. :ok:
Nope, them real monkees. Would a reptiloid be scared of a langur?

Is this some kind of Zen / Dhyāna?
Nope! It's very literal, actually.

This is a langur:
322px-Northern_plains_gray_langur.jpg
300px-Gray_langur_Mudumalai_02.jpg
They're long-tailed monkeys a good bit larger than a rhesus macaque.
In the more suburban residential areas of Delhi and the surrounding region, there are people with trained langurs. They (for a fee) patrol the area every so often in order to keep the monkeys away - the monkeys are scared of the langur and won't go near it.

The drop in the number of ambulance sirens screaming past has been really noticeable. Back in very late March/early April, there were very frequent ambulances tearing down the main road to the nearby hospital, and putting the sirens on for the full length of the road. This is unusual, especially when there isn't much traffic on the road. Of course it's possible that people not at work were drinking lots, doing things that resulted in silly accidents, or not seeking medical help for chronic conditions until they became really ill, but it does coincide with the peak period so far for coronavirus cases and deaths. It got quite disturbing to hear - it sounded like about half the population was seriously ill.

Back