Coronavirus

Worst thing is that we don't know how all of this will end. I'm trying to be optimistic but I'm curious if any one prepared global best/worst case scenarios.

I think I'm slowly coming to terms with life under the restrictions in Finland. I really enjoy being at home, so no problem there. Working from home I don't like, but I'm getting used to it too. They're planning to restrict traffic to and from a part of Southern Finland, and close down restaurants, but that doesn't really affect my life at the moment. All I do is work, sleep and read/watch Corona news. :)

Worrying study. If they did not die from Covid-19, what's the alternative? Suicides? Crazy flu season?

One of the world's oldest and most well respected peer reviewed journals published this based on WHO data. Mortality rate could be as high as 20% of symptomatic and confirmed cases in Wuhan.

Other things to consider:

- It takes up to 14 days after infection until you feel ill.
- It takes between 2 and 8 weeks from symptoms onset til death.

This means: it takes an insane lot of time until anyone can see effects of countermeasures / lock downs / quarantines. Not 10 weeks, but way longer than 14 days.

It also means: doing too little will not show immediately but might take a month...

France says the Paris hospitals are saturated and they have to move the infected people to other parts of the country or even other countries.

The question is: when will be the best time to ease restrictions? This thing probably won't go away in next year or two.
I think we have to be ready for the next winter because scientist says that a second wave could be happen before they get a vaccine.

Personally maybe I'm paranoid but I'm preparing myself for the thought that this will be a seasonal thing and even vaccine won't eradicate this in 100%. Maybe less people will die but still this will be a huge deal for society. Either way no. 1 priority now is to secure some kind of income and stay safe.

The question is: when will be the best time to ease restrictions? This thing probably won't go away in next year or two.

Sooner rather than later the economy will collapse and society won't be able to sustain itself. At this point, there will be no recovery and not much to go back to. We're probably talking months maximum here. Projections for unemployment rates over Europe right now is somewhere around 40%.

Long before that. Let's just hope healthcare services have had time to build up ICU-capacity somewhat before that. Then we just have to live with, there's no other choice.

This is pretty crazy. A cruise ship, that first set sail in early March, is still sailing around desperately trying to find a place that will take them in. 4 people on board are dead already, 2 have tested positive for corona so far, and 138 others are ill with flu-like symptoms.

Another happy news from Poland: today at night ruling party using Coronavirus as excuse passed laws that allows to vote remotely, but only for those who are 60+ (and this age group represent something like 70% of their voter base). At the same time they banned gatherings of 2 people or more.

Everything because on 10th of May we have president election day and only their candidate has now working campaign. So basically their voters base will have right to vote from home and younger people will have to gather in voting commissions and risk getting infected if they want to vote.

Oh and they did all of this by sending all documents (over 200 files) regarding this laws today around 2 at night, hour before voting.

And this is how you can destroy democracy during pandemic in one hour.

Another happy news from Poland: today at night ruling party using Coronavirus as excuse passed laws that allows to vote remotely, but only for those who are 60+ (and this age group represent something like 70% of their voter base). At the same time they banned gatherings of 2 people or more.

Everything because on 10th of May we have president election day and only their candidate has now working campaign. So basically their voters base will have right to vote from home and younger people will have to gather in voting commissions and risk getting infected if they want to vote.

Oh and they did all of this by sending all documents (over 200 files) regarding this laws today around 2 at night, hour before voting.

And this is how you can destroy democracy during pandemic in one hour.

Again, Poland sounds like Turkey.

I feel your pain.

Back