Coronavirus

I can't even comprehend this. Translate on your own risk.

Major League Baseball is participating in a massive coronavirus antibody study, with up to 10,000 tests taken nationwide over the next two days. Researchers hope the results offer a far better understanding of coronavirus' spread.

It's important to note that this just an antibody test, and is being used for research purposes, so it's not taking away the ability to be tested for the disease from the sick or healthcare workers.

Angela Merkel explaining things simply and clearly. A big contrast to another world leader I can think of.... :innocent:

I probably said this before, but I'm really glad Germany has the government it has right now. Sure, I don't like everyone in charge and things could always be better. But they're saving us from a fucking crisis. If a government can't do that, everything else it does it worthless.

Last edited:
She obviously understands science (has a doctorate and had an academic career)
I've met remarkable idiots with a doctorate (D.Sc. included) and an academic career who understand shit.
And people with no degrees having a brilliant grasp of "science".
Nothing to do with Merkel, just a random comment.

I've met remarkable idiots with a doctorate (D.Sc. included) and an academic career who understand shit.
And people with no degrees having a brilliant grasp of "science".
Nothing to do with Merkel, just a random comment.

That's true and important, and especially holds true in countries where academia is underdeveloped and corrupt, but averages are still relevant - the likelihood of coming across someone who has a good grasp on science does increase as the level of education does.

That's true and important, and especially holds true in countries where academia is underdeveloped and corrupt, but averages are still relevant - the likelihood of coming across someone who has a good grasp on science does increase as the level of education does.
I'm not so sure.
Obviously, if you have no education at all it might be difficult - not impossible - to grasp some concepts, but if you're a moron with a degree you're one for life.

I'm not so sure.
Obviously, if you have no education at all it might be difficult - not impossible - to grasp some concepts, but if you're a moron with a degree you're one for life.

That wasn't the point though. The point is that the number of idiots among the uneducated is far greater than those among the educated, especially the highly educated. There are highly educated idiots, and you may be correct that those people are more unlikely to better themselves, but the percentage of people who fit the description is simply smaller.

That wasn't the point though. The point is that the number of idiots among the uneducated is far greater than those among the educated, especially the highly educated. There are highly educated idiots, and you may be correct that those people are more unlikely to better themselves, but the percentage of people who fit the description is simply smaller.
This, and I really don't want to offend you in any way, apologies if I do, is simply snobbery. Education does not make you less of an idiot if you are one, and, unfortunately, educated idiots tend to be more harmful.

Back