Coronavirus

Norway has opened kindergartens this week and plan on opening schools for up to 10 year olds next week. The reasoning is that children seem less likely to contract the virus and thus less likely to become contagious.

The assumption is that Norway currently has a "reproduction" number for the virus of about 0,7 (each contagious person on average gives the virus to 0,7 others) and that opening the schools will not raise this number, for the population as a whole, above 1.

I do hope this decision also is based on having sufficient test capacity now to detect it early if this assumption does not hold, because then we'd need to close down again.

In Poland we don't have capacity for early tests. People are waiting 3+ days to get tested because doctor must often ask for permission to test somebody. At this stage we're doing around 5600 tests per 1 000 000 citizens.

I think that's very bad idea, we have 9000 officially infected and we're almost out of resources. Opening schools without tools to protect children and parents may cause bigger problems.

Only reason for that plan is that government was spending money like crazy for last years and now we don't have money for medical supplies and to pay parents to stay at home with kids.

Last edited:
Two week quarantine ends today.

Not that there's terribly much for me to do, but at least I can go out for a walk, opening restrictions for shops are being loosened and by the end of the month, libraries will have limited services again.

Polish government still want to do elections by mail. It's safe. Why? Because they have data. Exerpt from interview with government spokesman:

MZ spokesman - "the analysis we received from the University of Bavaria shows that there is no increased number of cases after the election" Journalist - "what center did these analyzes?" Spokesman - "these were the observations of one person from whom we received a letter. The person wants to be anonymous"

Here's a poignant story I've copied straight from the BBC's live updates:

Twins killed by pandemics 100 years apart
A 100-year-old man in the US has died of Covid-19 - more than a century after losing his twin brother to the 1918 flu pandemic, his grandson told CNN.
Philip and Samuel Kahn were born on5 December 1919. Samuel died of the flu just weeks later. The Spanish Flu is thought to have killed between 50-100 million people worldwide, and about 675,000 in the US.
Philip, a World War Two veteran, feared another pandemic would happen in his lifetime, his grandson Warren Zysman told CNN.
"I would have conversations with him and he would say to me, 'I told you history repeats itself, 100 years is not that long of a period of time.'"

giphy.gif

Here's a poignant story I've copied straight from the BBC's live updates:

Twins killed by pandemics 100 years apart
A 100-year-old man in the US has died of Covid-19 - more than a century after losing his twin brother to the 1918 flu pandemic, his grandson told CNN.
Philip and Samuel Kahn were born on5 December 1919. Samuel died of the flu just weeks later. The Spanish Flu is thought to have killed between 50-100 million people worldwide, and about 675,000 in the US.
Philip, a World War Two veteran, feared another pandemic would happen in his lifetime, his grandson Warren Zysman told CNN.
"I would have conversations with him and he would say to me, 'I told you history repeats itself, 100 years is not that long of a period of time.'"

giphy.gif

I wonder if this is fake, there was a similar one about women in Britian a few weeks ago.

It was from CNN so the grandson of the recently deceased twin might be a crisis actor.

I think the story from Britain was about a woman who died the day before her 100th birthday (or a similarly high number) whose sister died from Spanish Flu.

Mexico went into "phase 3" of the quarantine. Don't know exactly what that means except that now you need a face mask to go everywhere. I found this out a couple of days ago when I went to the store which is only about a kilometer from home, so I can go walking with no issue. When I get there I have this little exchange:

"Sorry sir, you can't come in without a face mask."
"What? since when?"
"Since phase 3.#
"Ok, so, do you have face masks.?"
"No."
"Then how am I supposed to do my shopping?"
"With a face mask."
"You said that, I'm asking HOW do I do that if I don't have one and i can't get one. I don't have a car and I haven't left my house except to your store since March 12. I walk here, you don't offer face mask, how the fuck am I supposed to do my shopping?"
"Um, well, the pharmacy in the neighborhood may have some."

So I go to the pharmacy aaaaaand, they're out. So I go back home VERY annoyed, not pissed, just annoyed, because theankfully I wasn't getting anything essential, but good god man. These fucking places all have a giant TUB of antibacterial gel at the front for people to use, but they don't offer face mask even for purchase? Even though they are mandatory now?

Thankfully my mother-in-law, who is a nurse, got us some so I was able to go the next day.

Maybe? Perhaps Sky New brought it up again because there's a publication in Nature Communications (which I can't find) about it.

I thought Foro actually posted a link ages ago about them finding the antibody. Maybe they've carried out further studies and refined their knowledge. Am I right to be sceptical of the agenda/bias of a publication called 'Nature Communications'?

Explain what you mean by that please. Nature publications are among the most prestigious and high impact of all the scientific journals.

Back