Coronavirus

That's MOST of Texas, regardlesss of direction. Miles and miles, hour after hour of NOTHING. Yet somehow, in that emptiness one can find a kind of beauty and peace. When I was kid we would drive from El Paso to Presidio, an 8 hour drive with Van horn being the midway point. No DVD player, no smartphone connectivit, hell not even CD or tape deck, only AM/FM in a rental car and the only stations we'd listen to were the ones with a strong enough signal. the SEEK button was our friend.

4 years ago when I travelled cross country from AZ to PA I had the pleasure to drive through the pan handle and guess what... same shit. Except this time I was able to hook up my ipod.

That's MOST of Texas, regardlesss of direction. Miles and miles, hour after hour of NOTHING. Yet somehow, in that emptiness one can find a kind of beauty and peace. When I was kid we would drive from El Paso to Presidio, an 8 hour drive with Van horn being the midway point. No DVD player, no smartphone connectivit, hell not even CD or tape deck, only AM/FM in a rental car and the only stations we'd listen to were the ones with a strong enough signal. the SEEK button was our friend.

4 years ago when I travelled cross country from AZ to PA I had the pleasure to drive through the pan handle and guess what... same shit. Except this time I was able to hook up my ipod.
Yeah, if you are travelling along the "triangle" between Dallas/Ft. Worth - Houston/Gulf cities- Austin/German Towns/San Antonio it is not bad and there are some neat towns in between ... East Texas is decent ... but anything west is just crap and boring

True. When I did the 12 hour drive from Tucson to San Antonio it wasn't that bad. When I went to Austin from San Antonio it was a very normal urban drive. But there's something about little places like Marfa and Valentine lol. The first time I drove through Valentine I thought it was a post apocalyptic ghost town. Second time I did see ONE person leaving their house to get their mail. Town is literally 3 blocks.

I just looked at this place on Google Maps. It's so shit that street view doesn't leave the highway. It looks quite ramshackle from the satellite view. How do people end up living there?

I just looked at this place on Google Maps. It's so shit that street view doesn't leave the highway. It looks quite ramshackle from the satellite view. How do people end up living there?

Don't know, but I heard they get an influx of people mailing Valentine's cards every year so it can have a stamp saying Valentine TX.

Generally there is/was a company (oil/ranch/manufacturing) in or near these towns, they move out and it ends up being a really cheap place to live .

Generally there is/was a company (oil/ranch/manufacturing) in or near these towns, they move out and it ends up being a really cheap place to live .

According to the almighty Wikipedia it was founded in the late 19th century by South Pacific Railroads. Also per the 2010 Census states there were 132 peeps living there, down from 186 in 2000. And it is a "town." The "Entertainment" section of the article is quite entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

giphy.gif

Congratulations USA!

The number of French and Italian Covid19 patients in intensive care has dropped. Hopefully they're turning a corner.

• Love
Reactions: Jer
and there's no sign of curve flattening.
Well that’s not true. Social distancing is showing to help in several states and there are signs of curve flattening throughout the country (https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ates-keep-watch-on-coronavirus-doubling-times). My state of Colorado is one such example. Our social distancing efforts has helped slow the rate of cases to give medical facilities more time and prevent patient overloads (https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-covid-colorado-peak-ventilators/).

And as they gently begin to flatten the curve in some areas, others are just getting ready to explode. We'll see, I guess, but I don't think this is far from over yet, either.

1586635612522.png

The UK is currently on the same trajectory as France and Italy, but bear in mind that Italy's population is about 8 million less than that of France and the UK. There is some evidence that we're reaching a plateau though, as the number of people in hospital beds isn't increasing rapidly nor is the number of new cases (not that we're able to test everybody).

Germany and South Korea have done a remarkable job to keep their death tolls so low, and China's statistics are surely total bullshit.

Back