Coronavirus

Britain succeeds in breeding yet another highly contagious variant, thanks to the total and utter lack of precautions being followed by 90% of the population.

I can only read the start of the article but it says its too early to say how contagious it is. How come you say its highly contagious?
My second corona (probably omicron) was much weaker than my first (probably delta) so hopefully this new guy is weaker again. Not even sure if i get time off work for it anymore, super sad times.

I can only read the start of the article but it says its too early to say how contagious it is. How come you say its highly contagious?
My second corona (probably omicron) was much weaker than my first (probably delta) so hopefully this new guy is weaker again. Not even sure if i get time off work for it anymore, super sad times.
Other articles :) Here's hoping it is less severe, omicron BA1 certainly has been.

It's frustrating lurching one from wave to another, though. It looked like the peak in Jan/Feb was all about omicron BA.1, but now it's on the up again, so at a guess that's BA.2 doing the rounds now. We just get the worst of one variant out of the way, and another one comes along and sidesteps immunity. I now know people who've tested positive at least three times for covid, twice in the past 6 months.

Support for self isolating has ended and you're not legally required to self isolate. You'd like to think employers would have a 'don't come into work with symptoms/a positive test', but seeing as so many don't even bother to pay tax or have any kind of health and safety, that's not going to be the case all round.

I had no symptoms of it for near 2 yrs and then 2 positive tests in 6 weeks, first was soon after my booster jab. Odd!

Good to know you aren't spreading fake news Brigs, I knew you were betrer than that :p

I'm watching the hospitalizations here like a hawk. BA.2 is starting to pick up in Ontario and they're refusing to change any of the health measures. So we will have to see what happens vis a vis hospitalizations. If they move up a little bit, that's one thing. If they spike again, well. There's more covid in the wastewater than ever, which means more people have it right now than ever before.

I'm watching the hospitalizations here like a hawk. BA.2 is starting to pick up in Ontario and they're refusing to change any of the health measures. So we will have to see what happens vis a vis hospitalizations. If they move up a little bit, that's one thing. If they spike again, well. There's more covid in the wastewater than ever, which means more people have it right now than ever before.
Probably nothing to worry about. BA2 is the dominant variant in Norway, but hospital numbers are still going down.

Probably nothing to worry about. BA2 is the dominant variant in Norway, but hospital numbers are still going down.
Sure. Hospitalizations are already going back up here, though. BA.1 provided a spike that was higher than Delta in most of the country in terms of hospitalizations (although hospitalizations per case were much lower than Delta). I can't speak as to why that's different in Norway.

Ottawa was different. Hospitalizations went up but didn't surpass the Delta peak. But this city is one of the most vaccinated in the country.

Sure. Hospitalizations are already going back up here, though. BA.1 provided a spike that was higher than Delta in most of the country in terms of hospitalizations (although hospitalizations per case were much lower than Delta). I can't speak as to why that's different in Norway.

Ottawa was different. Hospitalizations went up but didn't surpass the Delta peak. But this city is one of the most vaccinated in the country.
Week 9 had the highest amount of hospitalizations in Norway. 545 people were admitted with covid as the main reason. Another 458 were admitted due to different reasons, but also happened to have covid. Since then it's gone down. ICU and respirator numbers have been going down since before xmas. Once omicron hit those numbers went down.

The NHS has finally added more symptoms to its list of potential covid symptoms. It's a good move, as it'll hopefully get at least some people thinking harder about what they're coughing and sneezing all over others, instead of the usual 'if I'm not actually dying it's not covid' approach.

The NHS has finally added more symptoms to its list of potential covid symptoms. It's a good move, as it'll hopefully get at least some people thinking harder about what they're coughing and sneezing all over others, instead of the usual 'if I'm not actually dying it's not covid' approach.

Good move. When I had Covid-22 back in February I did not have any of the three main symptoms.

What most people would view as a sad sardonic dystopian joke, the Chinese Communist Party presents with naive earnestness:

(For those without context, China has been physically barricading buildings to lock large groups of people in when anyone in a given entryway tests positive for COVID, and they’ve been doing a poor job of providing supplies to these forcibly quarantined people, who have started singing from their balconies in protest.)

Omicron seems to be quite mild, no deaths have been reported in the city yet, but in bare numbers this is worst than start of epidemic in 2020.
Most of cases are asymptomatic. Ratio 1:33 currently.

There were compound-wise lock downs as early as beginning of March. In my case, we are nearly 4 weeks inside and counting. We don't sing yet, but the solidarity inside the community has been strengthened a lot, like sharing any excess food with others. We let our excess provisions in the lobby for others to pick up and take something we may need.

EDIT: I've heard that lock down could last for as long as until May.

Last edited:
What most people would view as a sad sardonic dystopian joke, the Chinese Communist Party presents with naive earnestness:

(For those without context, China has been physically barricading buildings to lock large groups of people in when anyone in a given entryway tests positive for COVID, and they’ve been doing a poor job of providing supplies to these forcibly quarantined people, who have started singing from their balconies in protest.)
Gotta love those governments who read "Nineteen eighty-four" as an instruction manual and not a dystopian novel.

Now my mother's positive for covid. Not a huge surprise to me because she travels by bus a lot, visits theatres and restaurants with friends,
and visits family every week which includes a huge pile of children who are forever catching covid at school. She's had 3 jabs, although she's just missed out on getting her 4th this week :( Fingers crossed she'll be okay, but she doesn't do well with colds of flu, so I'm worried.

32 straight days under lock down and counting.
Food supplies are less and less and I've lost my appetite as well. Staying until late night watching internet, general lack of concentration, feet getting weak by the day and I'm always tired, clearly leading an unhealthy life.

Word is that it may last for another month or more so I decided to take some action. Since I can't run, swim or cycle and since I have no Zwift gear at home, I took on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), started today.

I managed to do 20 minutes up to 170bpm then rest down to 130 and up again. Now feeling exhausted but healthy. My goal is when this is over to be in a better mental and physical shape that when it started.

No we don't sing yet in my compound.
I've been through different phases psychologically. I became lazy and slipped in new lows but now I'm starting to learn how to live with it.
The moment I realised that I have another 30 -45 days ahead, I decided to turn the tide. Now I feel quite strong and stable for 4 days straight.

Back