Bruce Dickinson

Got my "What Does This Button Do?" Book yesterday. First edition with the black edged paper.

Apparently, I'm not allowed to touch it any more, so I got a second. I can't touch/read that one either.

Got my "What Does This Button Do?" Book yesterday. First edition with the black edged paper.

Apparently, I'm not allowed to touch it any more, so I got a second. I can't touch/read that one either.

Thats awesome! I picked one off the stack because I thought the black looked cooler haha!!

Went to the Bruce book event in Huntington last night. He seems to be sticking to a predictable script at these. He spoke for about 75 minutes, had a slide show of the pictures included in the books, read a chapter and took some pre-screened questions on note cards.

I say it seemed almost scripted because his comments on each of the slides were the exact text as quoted in their captions in the book and even some of his "off-the-cuff" remarks were included in the chapter that he read.

The audience questions (he took about 15) were read from note cards that several early birds were able to scribble down and give to one of the book store employees. They ranged from random (where does Dave Murray live? What is your favorite episode of The Prisoner?) to more personal (favorite type of aircraft?) to more band-related (any plans for another solo album? Will we hear Empire of the Clouds live? Are the backgrounds painted, silk screened or computer generated?)

In sum, yes he plans on finishing the solo album (at some unspecified time in the future--he's really busy with flying, beer, Maiden, etc). He said that he has 5-6 songs demoed out--we've heard this before. It WILL include an alternate version of If Eternity Should Fail (which was supposed to be the title track).

Empire will NOT be played by Maiden, but he would like to do an orchestral version, with actors, etc and it would be more than 18 minutes long.

The backdrops are all painted. They tried computer generated in the past, but didn't have enough depth.

After the talk, we were lined up and he signed books (no dedication, just his signature) and shook hands. In total, I spent about 12 seconds with Bruce before the next person in line was up.

Empire will NOT be played by Maiden, but he would like to do an orchestral version, with actors, etc and it would be more than 18 minutes long.
That has the potential to be either great or pretty underwhelming. I would kinda prefer Maiden to just do it.

I say it seemed almost scripted because his comments on each of the slides were the exact text as quoted in their captions in the book and even some of his "off-the-cuff" remarks were included in the chapter that he read.

This sort of thing happens automatically. As a former tour guide, let me tell you it's just part of the trade to do the same quips, jokes and 'spontaneous' remarks all the time if it's your job to do the same talks to ever changing audiences all the time. There doesn't need to be a proper script, you just work out which things you say work and which don't pretty quickly.

Bruce does that every night on tour, too. He's used to it. And pretty damn good at making a quasi-scripted show connect.

Not sure I agree. That line he kept using on both legs of the Book of Souls Tour about parents doing it to Children of the Damned and thereby creating new Maiden fans that were literal children of the damned was not the least bit funny. I would wager a lot that exactly zero children were conceived whilst listening to Children of the Damned.

That line he kept using on both legs of the Book of Souls Tour about parents doing it to Children of the Damned and thereby creating new Maiden fans that were literal children of the damned was not the least bit funny.
I didn't say he was perfect. Lots of his stuff connects. Not all of it does.

I would wager a lot that exactly zero children were conceived whilst listening to Children of the Damned.
There's one somewhere, I'm sure of it.

Not sure I agree. That line he kept using on both legs of the Book of Souls Tour about parents doing it to Children of the Damned and thereby creating new Maiden fans that were literal children of the damned was not the least bit funny. I would wager a lot that exactly zero children were conceived whilst listening to Children of the Damned.

The 3 times I saw Maiden in the UK this year there was a loud laugh after that joke. It does not necessarily need to be factually correct to be funny...

Many of Bruces modern day rants make my skin crawl. The Children one is particularly shite. Hope to fuck its cut from the live album.
2/3rds way through the book. Lovin it. Great read.

Back