Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
The unboxing of "Afterglow Of Ragnarok":

Includes the original demo of "If Eternity Should Fail", though Bruce says this track has also been reworked and retitled for inclusion on The Mandrake Project album itself.

The Mandrake Project will also get a graphic novel trilogy, which will be released over the next couple of years. The comic included in the single is a prequel.

This must be one of the most expensive marketing campaigns preceding a single release: Film the singer backstage one night before a Maiden show and split the recording into short Youtube snippets over a few weeks!

So, album storyline radically changed.. But now we saw pentagram, it definitely will be something about oppression of the souls of humans or aliens. Draining the life force from poor mortals like it was shown in the Warcraft movie. Those scenes with warlock Gul'dan were friggin powerful and convincing, I must say.

I bet Brussels would get the blame when things go wrong!

Super fascinated by If Eternity Should Fail. I guess it makes sense: if you take the average Maiden song compared to something that has shown up on a Roy Z produced Bruce Dickinson album, Maiden can sometimes sound like a demo. What Bruce presented to the band was probably a work in progress, but Maiden largely followed the original demo version in typical fashion. I'll always defend Steve's inclusion of the intro and outro, it sets a cool vibe and Maiden introducing concepts that aren't tied to anything else is a bit of a signature. Definitely a better way to use a demo than what we got with Satellite 15.

As for the final version, I imagine it's going to be the same skeletal structure but more produced and polished in general. I hate to say it, but it is probably going to draw a lot of negative attention toward the way Maiden's albums sound. We're essentially going to get a better sounding version of the song. More vocals makes sense, minimal overdubs in Maiden generally. I'm really excited about the prospect of hearing the demo, the Mandrake version, and getting to see how this song evolved. A rare glimpse behind the curtain!

Somebody unearthed that Dr Strange comic back when TBOS was announced, nice find!
I'm really struggling to find the angle from which some of you are looking at all of this. Is it the case of lowering your expectations so final result might end up better? Or is it the case of forming an negative opinion first-handed so if the consensus ends up being negative, you can go: "Well, I was one of the first ones that said this would suck!" thus possibly enhancing your music-critique level?

Gone are the days where you could see Bruce and Adrian together in small venue rocking AoB and TCW, I don't see the point of Bruce trying to re-live the "metal show" when he has being doing that for Maiden for past 20+ years. Just look at the stuff has been doing outside of Maiden since he rejoined - except that short tour in 2002, nothing even resembled to what he did in the 90s. Now when he doesn't have to worry about his paycheck he's been making beer, doing plane instructions, directing movies, writing memoirs, doing podcasts and radio shows, having a spoken word/stand-up shows, playing with orchestra etc. Nothing points to: I wanna play my last two metal albums in a small venue with Adrian. This whole Mandrake album and tour - I expect something completely different than what I would get with Maiden.

Then again, what the fuck do I know, my No.1 Bruce album is Skunkworks.
I think a lot of it is bitterness. People were complaining that there was no Bruce Dickinson solo album, and now the same people are complaining about 5 second samples, comic books, or whatever else. It's obvious that they can't be pleased. I just don't understand why folks feel the need to join a forum for a band just to shit on that band all the time.

Back