Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
I agree with most of your first part, as for these:
It's not unjustified, but it certainly depends on the topic and on "our" understanding of their stances. It doesn't take much for that shit to spiral out of control. For example: Steve's anti-vax. A guy from a guy heard he is anti-vax (mind you, I personally knew one of those guys, and he was always full of bullshit). Steve thanked Novak Đoković in Senjutsu booklet, Novak - who is a famous anti-vaxxer. Steve postponed his British Lion gigs. That was basically it, until a couple of days later, people were saying that the 2022 Maiden tour won't happen. And as we all know, it did and not a single gig was canceled or postponed. Looking back now, those comments about Iron Maiden not being able to tour can be funny, but at the time they did create this certain feeling of unease around the band. Same as those rumors that Dave wanted to retire. Now imagine you trying to cancel your plane tickets and hotel bookings because people "warn" you that the Maiden tour won't happen and later finding out it was bullshit in the first place.
Steve's alleged anti-vax views are mentioned quite rarely as far as I've seen. It's really not something that gets mentioned again and again. As for the bolded, I'm sorry but if someone truly did that that's on them. I would never make such a decision based on the word of a stranger on the internet and I think most people wouldn't do that either.

As per Bruce, I don't give a damn about his political views because I don't give a damn about politics. I try to separate art from the artist (although I'm having trouble with it lately), but I also don't see it's fair to take one aspect of his personality/trait and use it to justify (or counter-argument) some other aspect of his personality/trait, especially if those two have nothing in common. And I especially find it distasteful to publicly comment on his professional work with information from his private life. FFS, a guy wrote an autobiography, if he didn't mention it there, he probably wants to keep it private, and I fully respect his decision.
He's talked about his Brexit views in interviews. He specifically did not want to keep it private. That means it's fair game to discuss these. It's absolutely okay if you don't care about politics or want to separate art from the artist. It's also okay for us to care about that and view things in context without separating them.
Art is inherently political and everyone has their own lines and boundaries. I was a huge Iced Earth fan for decades but dropped them since the storming of the Capitol. I could ignore Jon's idiotic view before, but not after that. Nothing Bruce has done or said is close to that of course and I'm not contemplating cutting my support of his. That doesn't mean that I can't comment and make fun of his views that I find problematic or baseless. I don't think anyone is using his Brexit views as a basis to form their opinion on Bruce; those views can taint one's opinion though.

In the end, nobody says you can't talk about all this stuff in any way you want to (again, as long as it's civilized and respectful). Just don't be surprised if somebody has a negative opinion about your negative opinion. And I don't see anybody here as a hater or troller, just as I haven't come across somebody who is praising every single detail. It's more like hearing your friend moan about a certain problem, but you see he's bound to repeat it again and you've had that conversation a dozen times, so you just want to say: Get a grip already! It's fun to speculate, wish, hope and plan about something you're into, but somewhere along the way, too much of that stuff can take a wrong turn and lead you down the one-way street of disappointment.
As for the bolded: Sure, that's fair. That's also the part where you just ignore and scroll along though. Most topics (except news of course) are cyclical and will be repeated at some point or another. Both the positive and negative ones. If we didn't feel strongly about Maiden we wouldn't be here in the first place. That means that we tend to be passionate about our dislikes as well. As long as it's not an RLonger (I think was the name?) situation I don't see the point in hyperfocusing on specific posters. In the end we're all here to have fun and discuss anything related to Maiden and beyond.

(This is unrealistic, because Roy has always layered the guitars in his recordings, even on BTP and TOS where he was the only guitarist…)

So should he be focusing on the Mandrake songs to the exclusion of everything else, or should he be trying to hit the parts of the catalog that have never been serviced in that market before, while also putting a spotlight on the Mandrake material? And if you’re going to do justice to the catalog, how do you accomplish that with a single live guitarist?
Yes. There is no doubt about the need for a 2nd guitar live. As for your question - the second option.

My prediction:

-> If TMP has 12 songs, I guess he will play 6-7 songs (maybe more, who knows, but I doubt it), as it should be because he's promoting it.
-> 3-4 songs from TOS (I guess he will want to play the title track). I want a bit more, but... he should have done a short solo tour in 2005.
-> 2-3(4) songs from TCW (title track, Tower, Book, Jerusalem?).
-> 2-3 (at least) from AOB. This album has a lot of candidates, but songs like Aquarius and Omega need a 2nd guitar; I guess he can replace it with keys for the former. With the keys he can finally play Man Of Sorrows, but Roy has to play Adrian's solo (for Road To Hell too). I can't imagine a solo show of Bruce without the hits from this album. He could play a 4th song from it, but it will most likely be Taking The Queen.
-> 1 song from BTP.
-> 0 songs from TM and Skunkworks. There is no room in a 15-16 songs setlist. With set rotation (not a lot) is possible though.

I never would have thought that the fan credentials of the guy who created the Strange Death newsletter so Bruce fans could discuss things back in the 90s would be questioned! :oops:

Stay strong @Jer ! The very few of us who were there at the time stand with you!

On a different note, I would like to add that any information I have shared with fellow Maiden fans over the years has come from trustworthy and reliable sources, in contact with people in the know.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Yes. There is no doubt about the need for a 2nd guitar live. As for your question - the second option.

My prediction:

-> If TMP has 12 songs, I guess he will play 6-7 songs (maybe more, who knows, but I doubt it), as it should be because he's promoting it.
-> 3-4 songs from TOS (I guess he will want to play the title track). I want a bit more, but... he should have done a short solo tour in 2005.
-> 2-3(4) songs from TCW (title track, Tower, Book, Jerusalem?).
-> 2-3 (at least) from AOB. This album has a lot of candidates, but songs like Aquarius and Omega need a 2nd guitar; I guess he can replace it with keys for the former. With the keys he can finally play Man Of Sorrows, but Roy has to play Adrian's solo (for Road To Hell too). I can't imagine a solo show of Bruce without the hits from this album. He could play a 4th song from it, but it will most likely be Taking The Queen.
-> 1 song from BTP.
-> 0 songs from TM and Skunkworks. There is no room in a 15-16 songs setlist. With set rotation (not a lot) is possible though.
Road To Hell is impossible. There is a lot of twin guitars on that track. Man Of Sorrows is possible.

But that said, I'd say they'll play AoB and maybe Starchildren or Taking The Queen.

Road To Hell is impossible. There is a lot of twin guitars on that track. Man Of Sorrows is possible.

But that said, I'd say they'll play AoB and maybe Starchildren or Taking The Queen.
That would be a bummer for me. And I like Taking The Queen a lot (Starchildren is nice, but I don't like it that much; awesome riff though). Bruce should play his hits, with keys for the twin guitars obviously. Otherwise, another very popular song like The Tower could be omitted because of this. Maybe Roy wants to play the songs for which Adrian is without a solo, but that means no Book Of Thel(!), Darkside Of Aquarius(!), Road To Hell, Jerusalem, Man Of Sorrows...

Last edited:
That would be a bummer for me. And I like Taking The Queen a lot (Starchildren is nice, but I don't like it that much; awesome riff though). Bruce should play his hits, with keys for the twin guitars obviously. Otherwise, another very popular song like The Tower could be omitted because of this. Maybe Roy wants to play the songs for which Adrian is without a solo, but that means no Book Of Thel(!), Darkside Of Aquarius(!), Jerusalem Man Of Sorrows...
Jerusalem is doable. They did it with the orchestra.

Anyways, I think majority of the set will be new material, along with 2 songs from BTP, AoB, TCW and ToS.

Along with new material, I think they will play Tears Of The Dragon, Laughing In The Hiding Bush, Accident Of Birth, Freak/Starchildren/Taking The Queen, The Chemical Wedding, Jerusalem, Abduction and Navigate The Seas Of The Sun.

Jerusalem is doable. They did it with the orchestra.
Wouldn't it sound quite different with the keys?
Anyways, I think majority of the set will be new material, along with 2 songs from BTP, AoB, TCW and ToS.

Along with new material, I think they will play Tears Of The Dragon, Laughing In The Hiding Bush, Accident Of Birth, Freak/Starchildren/Taking The Queen, The Chemical Wedding, Jerusalem, Abduction and Navigate The Seas Of The Sun.
Majority of the new set to be from the new album is expected, but I expect a bit more songs from AOB and TCW. From TOS too. It's possible.
I think Bruce will want to play Kill Devil Hill/A Tyranny Of Souls (why not Soul Intruders), Road To Hell, Tower, Aquarius, Book. His decision between Abduction and Power Of The Sun is curious. I hope for both as they are some of my favorite songs.
Whereas, Taking The Queen is one of Roy's favorite songs.

Steve's alleged anti-vax views are mentioned quite rarely as far as I've seen.

There's a lot of speculation about Steve's anti-vax views. There isn't anything definite to say he's actually anti-vax to begin with. Closest thing is canceling the tour with the Darkness. Everything else is tin foil hat stuff, or "I heard from someone's uncle's neighbour's hair dresser...". As far as I'm aware there's no actual statement from Steve Harris himself on the subject.

Darkside of Aquarius, Road to Hell, Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, The Tower, The Alchemist, Return of the King, Soul Intruders, Kill Devil Hill or no Tour at all! :edmetal:

Last edited:
Just saying, Roy Z playing the Road To Hell solo and pre-solo is basically the same as if Janick played The Wicker Man solo and pre-solo.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio

janick-gers-iron-maiden.gif

Last edited:
It was still fine with 1 guitar. Road To Hell would sound dull and Adrian is crucial to that song with his solo.
True. Roy has a very different style to Adrian, but he should be able to do a cool (most likely faster) solo for it. And this is their choice after all, 1 guitar live. The easy way would be to not play all those great songs. But I agree that for this song the keys can't replace the 2nd guitar for the twin harmonies. It won't sound right. Rightfully the tour is for the new album, but you have to play your best songs (especially after such a long break), with the choices you've made. I hope they put a lot of thought into that. Without all these songs, the tour wouldn't be that special. His hits.
Isn’t it Roy Z the one who brought the magic to Bruce’s solo career??
More or less. And Bruce too. But I understand what you mean.

Maybe it will be Roy playing the riffs and harmonies and solos in one side and Tanya doing rhytm guitar with her bass... That has already be done with Absolva and Blaze Bayley live band when Luke Appleton wasn't a member.

Last edited:
Back