Another Life

How good is Another Life on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
You know, the intro for this song is really cool, and it sounds as if it's a precursor to Speed Of Light. And honestly, I think I've underrated this one a fair bit upon re-listening to it. It's somewhat clunky in its delivery, and sounds a little cacophonic at times, especially near the end though.

6/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera:
9/10
2: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
3: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
4: Wrathchild: 7/10
5: Transylvania: 7/10
6: Strange World: 6/10
7: Sanctuary: 6/10
8: Another Life: 6/10
9: Prowler: 6/10
10: Iron Maiden: 5/10
11: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
12: Running Free: 4/10
13: The Ides Of March: 2/10

The lead in this, who plays it? Is it H? It sounds like him.

Repeated choruses for no reason. But it has a neat little sound to it. More than any other song from this era, this has a guitar sound that could have made a home on an Experimentation Era album. Really interesting sound. But overall, a lackluster effort.

5/10.

5/10. Decent little number. Can't really say anything bad about it. I don't actively seek it out, but if it comes on, I'm not gonna skip it.

1/10

Another Life is repetitive to the point of nausea. The opening drum gallop and guitar interplay feels like a completely different band. Steve Harris wrote almost every line and note on this album and apparently he didn't feel the need for multiple verses or choruses, because this song is literally the same lyrics repeated three times with no change. It’s copy and paste to the worst degree, especially since the original verse is nothing special. We do hear the first appearance of a riff that would later become H’s main hook in 2 Minutes to Midnight. The “Maiden is punk” debate must be brought up here because the bridge of Another Life is punk to the core: from the chord progression to Steve’s ska-esque bass fill.

• Pretty forgettable song, it's one of the very few Maiden songs that I struggle to remember the way it goes when I hear its name.
  • Agreed with Knick on the bridge. Steve might not like to admit it, but that section is pure punk and somewhat ironically is the highlight of the song.
  • An ill-balanced song from a compositional standpoint, the segments don't belong together and don't flow particularly well.
4/10.

This could have been a very good song, I just wish it was longer. Riffs are very cool, the solos are amazing. It it was like 5 minutes, then this would have been regarded as one of the best songs on the album.
8/10

One of the hidden gems, I think. The music is very good, a solid riff in the verses and a good intro. And the break always gets me headbanging. But, and it's a big but (I cannot lie) having the same lyrics during all three verses is annoying to no end. How hard can it be to write just a few extra words, it's not really long.... There might of course be some kind of purpose to the repetition, I have no problems whatsoever with repetition if I think it has a point. (like in Angel/gambler, as you all know I keep defending). but here i just can't see it. So what rate to give a song you really love that has lyrics that bugs, not quality wise but arrangement wise?
I'll go for the higher grade here, mostly because I think it's a bit underrated, people should re-listen to it and/or re-discover to it.
8/10

This has this really nice groove to it and nothing really else going for it. I agree, the repetition can be annoying and I was certainly annoyed at first.

Thing is, I like the main riff and the guitar licks all throughout the song sound cool. I also like the fast, punk-ish mid section. Maybe I'm asking for too much. You can't have every song be as good as Hallowed or something like that.

And maybe, just maybe, that's what I like about the Di'Anno era so much. The era in general is dominated by rockers, whose purpose is just to rock. Perhaps that is all that is needed.

Anyway...7/10.

Oddly, I don't find the repetition too much of an issue on this track. Still, it's only one rung above average. I'll give it a...

6/10

I don't like the repetition.
Apart from the cool intro, this song contains two simple riffs, and two simple bridges. None of them are effective enough.

It is kinda lame that the its just one verse repeating itself, but everything else works. Really underrated song I think. The twin guitar stuff is great, it has a solid vocal melody, and I really dig the drum intro. The song really gets going when it kicks into double time too, followed by the guitar solo with that long delay. Really rocking stuff.

If it isn't obvious already, I really love the Killers album.

7/10. It may be my least favorite song on the album, but it has a pretty cool riff and a good solo IMO. A pretty good rocker anyway and I like it more on Beast Over Hammersmith.

Cool bridge but otherwise a very average song.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life

Good song, despite the repetition. The guitar playing is the highlight for me. 7/10

One of the best choruses on the album. Brilliant drums. Chugs along nicely and is fun but it could be one of about 4 or 5 on Killers which are a bit 'meh'.

Back