Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

I think he just dug up the Telecaster from IM warehouse to take it back to Hawaii, because he stated something like; It's to valuable just to be stored. The Martin Barre strat was used by Adrian (I think on the solo of Tears Of A Clown, that sounds like a strat, but it could still be the Jackson 8432 Prototype, since it has a single coil in the neck position).

Interesting :) the Barre Strat is definitely one I 'd be interested in knowing more about... maybe something will come up later.

H's guitars throug the years (With photos) part 1. Not a complete list, but the most important ones are here:

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop, Early 70's.
-Appeared on most of the albums H ever recorded
-Retired from the road (1985-1995,1999-2009,2015-...)
-Flight Of Icarus was written on this guitar in a toilet in America
-Has had pickguard reinstalled for ME tour

d3983e83c8b95cbedadd03c181abbb53--adrian-smith-iron-maiden.jpg

Hamer Explorer

-Used on Killers
-Backup to his Les Paul in the early 80's
upload_2017-12-18_17-32-18.jpeg

Ibanez Destroyer II, Candy apple red
-Used on most of Number Of The Beast
-Has had a white stripe added and neck pickup cover removed before POM tour
-Was destroyed somewhere between 2003-2010 in a flood
-It's now on the wall of H's home studio
3ae04a69f8bbe78c48753414afaff576.jpg

Gibson Melody Maker, double cutaway, Black
-Routed for humbuckers
-Used on Piece Of Mind
012af7_b152d97af5a54aceb5b6901d75638690~mv2.webp

Dean Baby ML, sunburst
-
Used on POM tour
-Reappeared on Chemical Wedding tour as a detuned guitar for the title track
dean_baby_ml.jpg

Gibson SG, 1972, Walnut
-This guitar firstly appeared on POM tour
-It was still used on the first leg of World Slavery tour
-It was called back from retirement for the Early Days tour
-It had it's Bigsby removed after first few shows of Early Days tour and a peace sticker applied over the holes a year later.

541c838ca8c7a16c71055d7d85a8fbd2--adrian-smith-gibson-sg.jpg

Ibanez Roadstar, Blue Sunburst
-Used on the whole Powerslave record
-Never used on stage, since H didn't like how it sounded live
2995be8ba22641a2ed5b4ae6d38cf2e4--adrian-smith-iron-maiden-gothic-rock.jpg

Lado Earth, Black
-H's main guitar for the first half of World Slavery Tour.
-Started off with stock Lado tremolo, which was soon replaced with chrome Rockinger locking tremolo and later, a gold Floyd Rose
-The bridge pickup was replaced with white Dimarzio Super Distortion
qboca-1.jpg

Lado Earth, Silver Sunburst
-Was one of two H's main guitars on the latter part of WST (the other was the Goldtop)
-Had the stock bridge pickup replaced by a black DiMarzio Super Distortion
-Had the stock tremolo replaced by a locking Rockinger tremolo
upload_2017-12-18_17-53-34.jpeg

Charvel Stratocaseter, Black
-Used in the Wasted Years video
-Carried as a backup
- The original Charvel neck was replaced by a Jackson one, probably at the same time when he recieved the 2nd neck for HSH Jackson (the one without a painted headstock)
7679504_orig.jpg

Jackson Superstrat, White, HSH comfiguration with Jackson pickups
-This guitar had a neck with matching headstock first, but it was soon replaced by a neck with natural headstock (I assume H ordered a custom neck, but had to wait for it to be made).
-This was H's main guitar from 1986-1995
-Nowadays it sports H's signature model pickguard and it's usually used as a dressing room guitar
-It was used on 2011 TFF tour as a main tremolo guitar
220px-Adrian_Smith_Iron_Maiden_Newcastle.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Lado Stratocaster, White
-Started out with Bill Lawrence pickups, the bridge one was soon replaced by Super Distortion
-Used as a main Jackson backup
17523492_10213008112016303_603098626540061185_n.jpg

Jackson Custom Stratocaster, Roland Guitar synth installed
-Used on Somewhere On Tour
4092328_orig.jpg

Lado Laser, Blue Sunburst, Roland synth installed
-Used on Seventh Tour
ladolaser_5.jpg

Roland Synth guitar
-Used on Somewhere In Time
gr7072.jpg

That covers the 80's. Will try to do all of the important ones up to today soon.

He had another SG in 82, hardtail. Seems like he got it somewhere in the US. A confirmed date he had it out was October 9th 1982, so some time around there
Red finish?

Attachments

• 85845808.jpg
    85845808.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 3fea8252fdab5aef13392c76c395542d--adrian-smith-iron-maiden.jpg
    3fea8252fdab5aef13392c76c395542d--adrian-smith-iron-maiden.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 33
It's a Lado Earth Silverburst 2004, if anybody wants I can get a hold of Joe Kovacic and ask about Adrians build specs on his Lados

That would be cool. I'm interested about when the Synth Laser was built. I also want to know when did they build the Lado Strat with BL pickups.

Can someone do all of the Steve basses and Nicko drum kits over the years with pictures ?
With Bruce, the microphones.... uhhhh no ! But with him it would be cool to do a stage costumes over the years with pictures.

And for Adrian,Dave and Janick would be cool to do it with pictures like @matic22 do for Adrian - awesome work ! ;)

Last edited:
Can someone do all of the Steve basses and Nicko drum kits over the years with pictures ?
With Bruce, the microphones.... uhhhh no ! But with him it would be cool to do a stage costumes over the years with pictures :cool:

And for Adrian,Dave and Janick would be cool to do it with pictures like @matic22 do for Adrian - awesome work ! ;)
Steve is pretty simple. It's a Fender Precision Bass he plays, and has always played in Maiden. Been repainted a couple of times, has a split Seymour Duncan pickups, a Badass bridge and Rotosound custom flatwound strings. The tone control is hardwired because people kept messing with it during gigs.

He also carries around a couple of extras on tour (I believe variations of the Fender signature model) that he sometimes (fairly rarely, honestly) plays during encores.

e: I guess you could could also mention the experiments with other basses around 1984, but who really keeps count of that stuff?

Steve is pretty simple. It's a Fender Precision Bass he plays, and has always played in Maiden. Been repainted a couple of times, has a split Seymour Duncan pickups, a Badass bridge and Rotosound custom flatwound strings. The tone control is hardwired because people kept messing with it during gigs.

He also carries around a couple of extras on tour (I believe variations of the Fender signature model) that he sometimes (fairly rarely, honestly) plays during encores.

e: I guess you could could also mention the experiments with other basses around 1984, but who really keeps count of that stuff?

Yeah, but Steve have it with different colors - black, white/black (Killers tour, if I remembered well), blue (it has one more blue, which is more dark blue), the one with the chess backdrop, and his signature white/black with the West Ham United FC emblem ! - I think that this is all of the basses ! And for the videos on AH and 2MTM he uses one very strange blue bass - I think it was Unicorn Lado Bass or something ! - would be cool to see all of them with pictures.

and the Nicko drum kits would be even more cool to see them with pictures - I don't know if some of them are available !
and with the Bruce stage costumes with pictures it would be so good to see - it has some spectacular ones !!!
Even with the walk-on Eddies and the Eddie behind the Nicko on the song Iron Maiden !!! - if someone can post all of this pictures, it would be Maiden feast day ! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, but Steve have it with different colors - black, white/black (Killers tour, if I remembered well), blue (it has one more blue, which is more dark blue), the one with the chess backdrop, and his signature white/black with the West Ham United FC emblem ! - I think that this is all of the basses ! And for the videos on AH and 2MTM he uses one very strange blue bass - I think it was Unicorn Lado Bass or something ! - would be cool to see all of them with pictures :)
I think the blue one is the same as the ' black and white West Ham' one, it has been painted over.

I think the blue one is the same as the ' black and white West Ham' one, it has been painted over.
Yeah, I did mention it, but for clarity's sake, according to the man himself it's the same exact bass, it's just went from being white originally, to black, to blue, and then back to white again with the West Ham theme going on.

Back