Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

By the way you can tell it's a Jackson by looking at the logo on the head (unless he mounted the Jackson neck on a Fender body, but we would have had Theseus's Paradox at that point).
Yes, actually the Jackson logo looks smaller than it should look, so at first I though it was a Fender with the Jackson logo mounted, but as Matic said, this is a custom Jackson.

Well he also has/had guitars he doesn't (or rarely) use with Iron Maiden. The one he used in the Hear 'n Aid video for example, or the Fernandes (was it a Fernandes?) he used in 2003.

He also was coming back to Fender in 1999, after all.
Dave came back to Fender in 1992, not 1999. Fender first gave him a prototype of HSS hot rod Strat (the one that H played on Running Free during Donnington in 1992). Soon afterwards Dave got 2 HSH Fender Hotrods, a 3 tone sunburst one and a blue sunburst one. They were both soon refinished in cream.

Hear and aid was played on a loaned Ibanez (H played Vivian Campbell's Aria).

The Strat in 2003 was a Wayne (Wayne Charvel) and was replaced by the soon to become main 2-tone California Series Strat mid-tour. The Wayne is now owned by Steve Lazarus.

Well he also has/had guitars he doesn't (or rarely) use with Iron Maiden. The one he used in the Hear 'n Aid video for example, or the Fernandes (was it a Fernandes?) he used in 2003.

He also was coming back to Fender in 1999, after all.
The one he used in 2003 is a Wayne with 3 hot rails, and the one used in the Hear'n Aid video I think it's an Ibanez Roadstar.

Attachments

• dave murray wayne.jpg
    dave murray wayne.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 11
  • dave and h hear'n aid.jpg
    dave and h hear'n aid.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 11
Dave came back to Fender in 1992, not 1999. Fender first gave him a prototype of HSS hot rod Strat (the one that H played on Running Free during Donnington in 1992). Soon afterwards Dave got 2 HSH Fender Hotrods, a 3 tone sunburst one and a blue sunburst one. They were both soon refinished in cream.

Hear and aid was played on a loaned Ibanez (H played Vivian Campbell's Aria).

The Strat in 2003 was a Wayne (Wayne Charvel) and was replaced by the soon to become main 2-tone California Series Strat mid-tour. The Wayne is now owned by Steve Lazarus.
Afaik the 3 tone sunburst and the blue sunburst later became the Cream ones that he used on Raising Hell right? Or you mean another cream ones?

Afaik the 3 tone sunburst and the blue sunburst later became the Cream ones that he used on Raising Hell right? Or you mean another cream ones?
Yes, that's right. One with zebra humbuckers and one with full black ones.

They are still in their original colour during Monsters Of Rock Italy 92 performance. Blue one is used as a wireless guitar and the 3 tone sunburst is the main guitar. One of those 2 guitars got a white pickguard with 3 Hot Rails during Blaze years.

There is also a possibility that Dave had a third cream strat made, but that's another story.

Yes, that's right. One with zebra humbuckers and one with full black ones.

They are still in their original colour during Monsters Of Rock Italy 92 performance. Blue one is used as a wireless guitar and the 3 tone sunburst is the main guitar. One of those 2 guitars got a white pickguard with 3 Hot Rails during Blaze years.

There is also a possibility that Dave had a third cream strat made, but that's another story.
Oh thank you very much!! I'm watching the Italy gig to find the Blue Sunburst Strat (never found a picture of that one) and also, in the video I saw the white Jackson, now with the black pickup in the neck instead of the white humbucker, from what I see, it seems to me that that black neck pickup is a black Dimarzio bluesbucker or some kind of P90 (the pictures are screenshots I took from a Youtube video of the Italy gig, sorry for the bad quality)

Attachments

• blue sunburst.png
    blue sunburst.png
    796.8 KB · Views: 14
  • dave white jackson.png
    dave white jackson.png
    730 KB · Views: 13
Oh thank you very much!! I'm watching the Italy gig to find the Blue Sunburst Strat (never found a picture of that one) and also, in the video I saw the white Jackson, now with the black pickup in the neck instead of the white humbucker, from what I see, it seems to me that that black neck pickup is a black Dimarzio bluesbucker or some kind of P90 (the pictures are screenshots I took from a Youtube video of the Italy gig, sorry for the bad quality)
White Jackson was at that point relegated to the guitar that is used to throw around.

I think the neck pickup in that one is a DiMarzio Paf Pro (at least it looks like it).

White Jackson was at that point relegated to the guitar that is used to throw around.

I think the neck pickup in that one is a DiMarzio Paf Pro (at least it looks like it).
Yes, that pickup looks like a PAF pro (always thought it was an SD normal humbucker) and also, do you know if the cream Stratocaster with Zebra humbuckers was the blue sunburst or the 3-tone sunburst? I'm wondering that because both the blue sunburst and the 3-tone sunburst used to have full black humbuckers in the neck and the bridge (sorry to bother you so much)

Yes, that pickup looks like a PAF pro (always thought it was an SD normal humbucker) and also, do you know if the cream Stratocaster with Zebra humbuckers was the blue sunburst or the 3-tone sunburst? I'm wondering that because both the blue sunburst and the 3-tone sunburst used to have full black humbuckers in the neck and the bridge (sorry to bother you so much)
Impossible to know. My theory about the third Strat from that era is based on the fact that one of the cream Strats has "Original Body Contour" missing on the headstock.

If I had to bet, I'd say that the sunburst one became the zebra pickup one and the blue one became the black pickup one.

Then, there was another switcharound before The X Factour. One of them got an all black pickguard and the other got a triple Hot Rails pickguard. Both still had "Original Body Contour" markings on the headstocks, so I assume those were still the Raising Hell/Sunburst Strats. If I had to guess, the zebra cream Strat became the Hot Rails Strat.

Then, before Virtual XI tour even more strange change happens. Burgundy/Candy Apple Red Jackson Strat becomes the secondary guitar again. There is only one cream Strat. That one has a zebra in the bridge position and no "Original body contour" decal on the headstock, which can indicate three scenarios:

- The Hot Rails' Strat pickguard was replaced again with the Raising Hell pickguard. The bridge pickup remained in place, the middle's cover and the neck pickup were replaced. "Original body contour" decal fell of.

- The full black pickups Strat's bridge pickup was replaced by the one from the other pickguard. The "Original body contour" decal fell off.

- This is an entirely new guitar with combined pickups from the two cream strats.

That third/third iteration of the cream Strat was still the main guitar during Ed Hunter tour, however with a new zebra neck pickup. Red Jackson is still the main backup until the arrival of the black Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster. At that point this guitar becomes the main backup. After the cream Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster arrives, the guitar is gone.

Coincidentally, both those Floyd Rose Classic Stratocasters (Rock in Rio guitars) are still on tour. Cream one is the secondary backup and the black one is just along for the ride.

Impossible to know. My theory about the third Strat from that era is based on the fact that one of the cream Strats has "Original Body Contour" missing on the headstock.

If I had to bet, I'd say that the sunburst one became the zebra pickup one and the blue one became the black pickup one.

Then, there was another switcharound before The X Factour. One of them got an all black pickguard and the other got a triple Hot Rails pickguard. Both still had "Original Body Contour" markings on the headstocks, so I assume those were still the Raising Hell/Sunburst Strats. If I had to guess, the zebra cream Strat became the Hot Rails Strat.

Then, before Virtual XI tour even more strange change happens. Burgundy/Candy Apple Red Jackson Strat becomes the secondary guitar again. There is only one cream Strat. That one has a zebra in the bridge position and no "Original body contour" decal on the headstock, which can indicate three scenarios:

- The Hot Rails' Strat pickguard was replaced again with the Raising Hell pickguard. The bridge pickup remained in place, the middle's cover and the neck pickup were replaced. "Original body contour" decal fell of.

- The full black pickups Strat's bridge pickup was replaced by the one from the other pickguard. The "Original body contour" decal fell off.

- This is an entirely new guitar with combined pickups from the two cream strats.

That third/third iteration of the cream Strat was still the main guitar during Ed Hunter tour, however with a new zebra neck pickup. Red Jackson is still the main backup until the arrival of the black Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster. At that point this guitar becomes the main backup. After the cream Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster arrives, the guitar is gone.

Coincidentally, both those Floyd Rose Classic Stratocasters (Rock in Rio guitars) are still on tour. Cream one is the secondary backup and the black one is just along for the ride.
Ohh, yes mate, it is impossible to know, but yes, I'll bet the same as you, I also think that the sunburst one became the zebra pickup one and the blue one became the black pickup one, taking into account that the sunburst and the zebra were mains and the other two were backups, interesting to know about the story about the guitars and their constant changes, thank you very much for the information my friend.

Also about zebra and black pickup Raising Hell Strats... It seems like the zebra pickups are DiMarzios and the black ones are Seymour Duncan (with Seymour Duncan written on them). Originally, both Strats had Duncans.

Also an important little detail that might (or might not) determine which guitar became which is the fact that the zebra strat has a silver saddle for the high E.

Ok, I think I figured it out.

I base this on Davey's preference and the fact that it seems like the zebra humbucker guitar has a deeper floyd recess route.

The 3 tone sunburst strat appears towarss the end of the FOTD tour and slowly starts taking the place of the CAR/burgundy Jackson. After the FOTD tour, it's repainted cream/vintage white. It gets 2 new DiMarzio pickups a reverse zebra in the neck and a zebra in the bridge. The neck pickup is replaced by a zebra DiMarzio before Raising Hell. Before the Raising Hell concert Floyd saddles start falling apart (note that during the Raising Hell concert the guitar has a chrome saddle for the high E). Before X Factor album/tour, the tremolo is replaced by a Schaller Floyd, middle pickup cover is painted black and both humbuckers are replaced by Seymour Duncans (possibly the pickguard is moved from the other cream strat to this one). Before virtual XI the bridge pickup is replaced by a zebra one, possibly the DiMarzio from Raising hell. Before Ed Huntour, the neck pickup is also replaced by a zebra one, before the guitar was replaced by Floyd Rose Classic Strats.

The blue sunburst one was painted before Raising Hell. Before X Factor it recieved a triple Hot Rails pickguard. Afterwards it wasn't seen again and CAR/burgundy Jackson returned to the secondary guitar spot.

The most interesting thing is that the zebra humbucker Strat was basically back to Raising Hell specs during Ed Huntour in 1999, minus the tremolo and painted middle pickup cover.

Ok, I think I figured it out.

I base this on Davey's preference and the fact that it seems like the zebra humbucker guitar has a deeper floyd recess route.

The 3 tone sunburst strat appears towarss the end of the FOTD tour and slowly starts taking the place of the CAR/burgundy Jackson. After the FOTD tour, it's repainted cream/vintage white. It gets 2 new DiMarzio pickups a reverse zebra in the neck and a zebra in the bridge. The neck pickup is replaced by a zebra DiMarzio before Raising Hell. Before the Raising Hell concert Floyd saddles start falling apart (note that during the Raising Hell concert the guitar has a chrome saddle for the high E). Before X Factor album/tour, the tremolo is replaced by a Schaller Floyd, middle pickup cover is painted black and both humbuckers are replaced by Seymour Duncans (possibly the pickguard is moved from the other cream strat to this one). Before virtual XI the bridge pickup is replaced by a zebra one, possibly the DiMarzio from Raising hell. Before Ed Huntour, the neck pickup is also replaced by a zebra one, before the guitar was replaced by Floyd Rose Classic Strats.

The blue sunburst one was painted before Raising Hell. Before X Factor it recieved a triple Hot Rails pickguard. Afterwards it wasn't seen again and CAR/burgundy Jackson returned to the secondary guitar spot.

The most interesting thing is that the zebra humbucker Strat was basically back to Raising Hell specs during Ed Huntour in 1999, minus the tremolo and painted middle pickup cover.
Interesting mate, so I see that what you bet is correct, I was also thinking that the sunburst one later became the cream zebra and the blue sunburst became the one with full black ones, taking into account that the sunburst was becoming a main at late FOTD tour and the blue sunburst was a backup, and after that, the zebra was used as the main and the full black was used as a backup (also, I didn't know that the #2 cream strat later sported Hot Rails) thank you very much for the info my friend, so great to hear!!

Can someone tell me what H is playing here?

View attachment 39370
Roland G 707 midi guitar. Basically a guitar and a guitar synth controller in one. Connected to the module with a 17-pin cable.

Multiple of those were later gutted and their electronics placed in at least 3 guitars that were better looking/easier to play:

- Custom shop Jackson #1, white, HSH, stratocaster headstock. Floyd Rose bridge. Main synth guitar on Somewhere On Tour. The guitar later cracked from the bridge to the strap pin and was likely retired for that reason after the tour.

- Custom shop Jackson #2, white, HSH, pointy headstock. Jackson/Charvel bridge. The guitar that was at Matt's guitar shop along with Dave's Powerslave era Squier Strat.

- Lado Laser, blue sunburst. Floyd Rose bridge. Used on Seventh Tour for Can I Play With Madness and occasionally Clairvoyant.

Back