Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Pinkoboe

Prowler
Came across this on the internet. I missed the actual auction, but this is the first Dave Murray owned guitar I have seen that was sold off and it looks legitimate.

I am guessing this was the first guitar given to him by ESP prior to the similarly spec'd ice blue model that showed up on the Somewhere on Tour. I have a vague recollection of seeing him with this guitar on stage, but cannot locate any videos or pictures to support that memory.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/esp-custom-strat-1984-japanese-used-1539239119

Pinkoboe

Prowler
Yup. Dave owns/owned 2 of them. This one and an electric blue one, that he got in 1986.

At least one is still in his posession.
Dave actually had two blue ESP stratocasters. The first one was electric (ice?) blue that showed up only on the Somewhere on Tour. That guitar had the ESP shaped headstock and 22 frets. On the Seventh Tour, he got a new one that was sonic blue (or something similar) which had the Fender shaped headstock and 21 frets. This second guitar was also used for the subsequent tour before it disappeared.

matic22

Ancient Mariner
Dave actually had two blue ESP stratocasters. The first one was electric (ice?) blue that showed up only on the Somewhere on Tour. That guitar had the ESP shaped headstock and 22 frets. On the Seventh Tour, he got a new one that was sonic blue (or something similar) which had the Fender shaped headstock and 21 frets. This second guitar was also used for the subsequent tour before it disappeared.
Any pics of the 2nd one?

Ok, I found it. The Clairvoyant video. It seems to be Baby Blue.

And yeah, both Cream and Baby Blue ESP's dissapeared after this tour. Probably because Dave got his Candy Apple Red / Burgundy Jackson made to his specs.

Last edited:

matic22

Ancient Mariner
That wine-red Les Paul looks like a Deluxe that was routed for humbuckers.

(That guitar was probably another one of those that were sold to finance the Kossoff strat)

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Steve, Adrian and Dave all have a signature model guitar, but does Janick have? I think not - maybe his black and white Fender Strat. o_O

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
He's with this company Sandberg. Curious that Fender didn't give him a signature model given that he's exclusively used them most of his career.

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
Well, it’s not that curious...
Well, I guess it's understandable that Fender wouldn't want to build him a nice guitar only for him to throw it around. :lol:

Really though, far less noteworthy guitar players have had signature models. Janick is part of one of the most iconic metal bands out there, why shouldn't he get one? It's very strange to me that he had to go with a model/brand that he's not known for using. It's like Slash and his signature Firebird.

matic22

Ancient Mariner
Again, Jan's strats are all basically 62 or 64 reissues with changed electronics. It would make much more sense if Seymour Duncan brought out Janick Gers signature pickguard.