365 Albums In One Year

Was gonna review Frontiers but the used Vinyl i bought skipped about 5 times during separate ways and i couldn't handle it... so I guess that means I'm gonna review 3 more albums today to see how the other 3 I bought are.

55/365
Journey_Departure.jpg

Departure - Journey
Format: Vinyl

Anyway You Want It - The classic fast paced arena rock track kicks off the album in style, great vocals and a memorable guitar solo. Journey doesn't disappoint on this classic - 10/10

Walk Like A Lady - Slower paced, keys and some subtle band accompaniment; This song is almost a ballad of sorts slower but it ultimately is a forgettable track which doesn't reach the heights of their later ballads. - 6.5/10

Someday Soon - The third track picks up the pace a little bringing the band back up on the same level as Perry. Keyboardist Gregg Rolie takes vocals with Steve on this track and he has quite a solid voice even in comparison to Steve Perry. Schon has a nice guitar solo on this track but overall the song is just solid. - 7.5/10

People and Places - A synthy intro begins the next track, Schon takes colead vocals with Steve on this track. This song is another slower one, but has some dynamic and more upbeat sections. Overall the song goes on a little too long - 7.5/10

Precious Time - A more upbeat song, the guitar in the background feels very similar to pinball wizard, and the song soon picks up with the band playing very upbeat and Perry singing soaring over them. A really solid track - 8/10

Where Were You - Faster paced, chorus isn't imaginative at all, pulling a Maiden they repeat the name of the song 4 times. Verses are decent. - 7/10

I'm Cryin' - Schon and Rolie introduce this song with a nice little guitar and keys intro. Steve comes in soon after with some dramatic singing. The dramatic and dynamic singing carries throughout the song. Of the slower songs thus far this is the best one. - 8/10

Line Of Fire - An upbeat track filled with classic Journey harmonies. It isn't an outright amazing track but it is solid throughout and it would be super fun live - 8/10

Departure - The short instrumental in which the album is named after but it serves no real purpose but to segue into the next song at which point I ask why not just merge the two tracks - 7/10

Good Morning Girl - A very calm song, Steve sings soaringly over the piano accompaniment very short but sweet - 8/10

Stay Awhile - Picking up right where the previous track left off Stay Awhile really feels like part of a proper medley from the previous track and Departure. It serves the the medley justice from that perspective. Continuing the story nicely and ending it off nicely - 8/10

Medley - 8/10

Homemade Lover - The album closer opens with the hardest sounding guitar on the album. Another enjoyable track - 7.5/10

Overall 77%

Last edited:
56/365
Bat_out_of_Hell.jpg

Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf

Bat Out Of Hell - Furious keyboards introduce the opening title track of the album, the screaming guitars soon join in making the introduction of the track absolutely brilliant. The chorus kicks and chills run down my spine. Operatic, fast paced with amazing musicianship throughout. Really a brilliant piece of work - 10/10

You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) - A dialogue introduces the second track, setting the stage for the track to kick off, Operatic with a choir of backing vocals. The song doesn't pull me in fully but it is still giving me chills. Enjoyable poppy in a sense of the beat. -9/10

Heaven Can Wait - Piano's introduce track number 3, the absolute artistry that Meat Loaf has shown in the first 3 tracks alone for nearly any band is exceptional but to do such on a debut album shows someone knowing what they want and firing on all cylinders to get there. The piano ballad is a nice change of pace from the previous tracks speedy orchestration keeping it very simple but at the same time incredibly effective - 9/10

All Revved Up With No Place To Go - Saxophones kick off the final track of side 1, soon the rest of the band comes in with a wicked beat. Another really strong song, this one doesn't quite reach the levels of the previous 3 but it is by no means a bad song at all; scratch that the ending pulled this track back up. I like the aggression of the ending a lot. - 9/10

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad - Side two is introduced by some piano work, the song soon turns into a man asking to not have to leave. A wonderful ballad sung exceptionally well. It clicks 100% - 10/10

Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Fast paced off the start, the first section of the song feels like a song people would dance to, upbeat and a great beat at that. Dramatic and epic. The baseball broadcast comes in which is a great way to bypass what the message is trying to pass. The second portion of the song kicks in faster paced than before. The third chunk kicks in with a man regretting his earlier life choices. Overall the individual parts are all solid but together they are amazing - 9.5/10

For Crying Out Loud - The final piece begins with a piano once more. Epic, dramatic and sentimental all in one. - 10/10

Overall 95%

Although I personally enjoy Rising and Lovedrive more, this album is absolutely fucking amazing and overall is far more consistent than those two albums. I'm amazed by the perfection of the album

Last edited:
th

Album 69/365

1. Reise, Reise - Damn, what a powerful opener. Emotional yet absolutely crushing at the same time. Ending sounds like Alestorm lol. But man, what a great song. 10/10

2. Mein Teil - Fuck, that opening came out of nowhere. This song is awesome too. Crushing guitarwork, eerie verses, blinding chorus, definitely the best song ever written about eating a penis. 10/10

3. Dalai Lama - This is another great song, maybe not quite as good as the two before it, but I love the atmosphere as they describe a fated plane on its course to demise. Great stuff. 9/10

4. Keine Lust - Icy cold song that seems to be about watching death stare you right in the face and barrel towards it. This album's great so far. Lots of stuff reminds me of Alestorm and Ahab, which makes for an interesting combination with the industrial stuff and the German lyrics. But yeah, another great song. 9/10

5. Los - Cool acoustic-based song in which the band plays around with the word "los". Really strong stuff. 9/10

6. Amerika - Rammstein classic, certainly one of their most popular songs and for a reason. It's pretty genius in the way it critiques America and the way it keeps nosing in on other countries. Pumping chorus helps of course. 10/10

7. Moskau - Whew, this is some cool shit. I love the female vocals singing in Russian dancing around Till's deep Deutschsprach. Awesome, awesome song. 10/10

8. Morgenstern - Maybe the weakest song so far, but that's not saying much. I love the atmospheric stuff going on in this song. 9/10

9. Stein Um Stein - Is this song about "The Cask Of Amontillado"? Cuz if so, that's badass. Till's got a really awesome performance here too. Great stuff. 9/10

10. Ohne Dich - Awesome, awesome power ballad. Surprisingly touching, which isn't exactly something you expect from Rammstein. 10/10

11. Amour - Pretty great closer. Love the last line in particular. 9/10

Great, great album. Love the thematic links throughout, the band is really striving to reach the top of their game, and it's pretty much awesome throughout. It's a little better than Mutter, because while that had a lot of stand-outs, this one is stronger as a whole. But they're both great and I'm really liking this version of Rammstein a lot.

Rating: 95%

Rammstein-Rosenrot-Frontal.jpg

Album 70/365

1. Benzin - Did Rammstein or Metallica do a better "Fuel" song? Not sure. This song isn't as fun as Metallica's, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless. Blazing guitars, great performances, great opener to this album. 10/10

2. Mann Gegen Mann - Pretty great song, good use of the gang vocals. 9/10

3. Rosenrot - Fuck yes. I love literally everything about this song, from the epic fucking guitars, to the way it tells the story - it's so good. Another contender for my favorite Rammstein song. Every single second kicks ass. 11/10

4. Spring - Jesus, this is some really dark shit. And I'm loving it. The way they weave everything in front of your eyes is insane. It's slow but those guitars have a ton of crunch. 10/10

5. Wo Bist Du - Some more great atmospherics. This album so far seems to be better than I've hear people say it is. Good stuff. 9/10

6. Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do) - Interesting ballad. I like the English singer. Another really good song. 9/10

7. Zerstören - A good balls-out rocker. Maybe the weakest here yet, but it's still pretty great. 8/10

8. Hilf Mir - Holy shit, they're recreating a story from Der Struwwelpeter. I used to read that a lot when I was younger. Awesome adaptation. Not quite the best song but I really like what they've done here. 9/10

9. Te Quiero Puta! - Hahaha what the fuck is this song? It's the weirdest shit ever. I kinda like it but it's a bit too silly for my taste. 7/10

10. Feuer Und Wasser - Another interesting song. Doesn't enough for me unfortunately, but I like that they're being experimental. 7/10

11. Ein Lied - Ooh, great way to end the album. I like this really calm tune. 9/10

Another pretty great album, but it doesn't quite scale the heights of its predecessors. Luckily the vibe helps make it a better album than the sum of its parts, but if anything, that title track is fucking awesome. Also, shout-out to the dope album cover.

Rating: 89%

Last.fm tells me I've listened to 72 different albums since 20th February and until now. Most of them new to me but also some replays.

rammstein-liebe_ist_fuer_alle_da_BINARY_922191.jpg

Album 71/365

1. Rammlied - Wow, that's the third song they've injected their name into. I like the atmospheric stuff going on, but apart from that, it's solid but does little for me. 7/10

2. Ich Tu Dir Weh - Another solid but not really outstanding song. I like some of the ideas presented here, but I'm not blown away. 7/10

3. Waidmanns Heil - Okay, this song's better. Not quite awesome, but I like what it's going for. Some badass vocals help. 8/10

4. Haifisch - Good song, good lyrics, good stuff. Again, it just doesn't blow me out of the water. 8/10

5. B******** - Yeah, not onboard for this one. Too silly for my taste. 5/10

6. Frühling In Paris - I think this one's better on paper than it is in practice, but it's a pretty nice song all the same. 8/10

7. Wiener Blut - Thought I was liking this song, but it went meh fast. Average Rammstein song. 5/10

8. Pussy - The music is great, but damn, this song is so fucking stupid. They're not even trying to have fun with it. 4/10

9. Liebe Ist Für Alle Da - Eh. 5/10

10. Mehr - Well, this one's better than the last three, but it's only slightly above average. The bridge is what pushes it above the line. 6/10

11. Roter Sand - At least we're going out with a good song. I like what they're going for here, although it doesn't quite push me over the moon again, it's still good. 8/10

I suppose after three great albums, something's gotta give, but wow, this was... very iffy. Some good songs but nothing truly outstanding, and then the absolute nadir of Rammstein's career. I'm hopeful that given the amount of time between this album and today, they've re-fortified their castles for the new album, and given how great "Deutschland" is, things are looking good. But damn, this would have been a bland way to end a career with.

Rating: 65%

57/365
Megadeth-RustInPeace.jpg

Rust In Peace - Megadeth

Holy Wars... The Punishment is Due - Wicked fast guitar work kicks off the opening track of the album. Dave's vocals aren't strong on this tracks opening.
The second section features some really strong instrumental work although once again Dave's vocals don't do it for me. (This will be a theme having seen them live I know his vocals aren't the part of Megadeth that makes them so well known). The second half is a solid 9/10 whist the opening portion sits around an 8/10 Overall the song kicks ass. - 8.5/10

Hanger 18 - The second track continues the heavy metal assault. Guitars sing in the background, and Dave doesn't annoy me with his vocals too much. -8.5/10

Take No Prisoners - Another guitar assault, Dave really fits into the feeling of this song. Another solid - 8.5/10

Five Magics - The song kicks off really heavy before slowing down and the guitars sing again; The song soon kicks off into a fast pace once more as Mustaine comes in singing. I don't connect with this song really once the intro is done, the solo section is unreal so that is the songs saving grace. -7.5/10

Poison Was The Cure - A subdued opening to this short song, before the band really kicks in. Decent but not amazing - 7.5/10

Lugretia - Somewhat creepy laughing transitions into some really pleasant guitar work. Another stronger song - 8.5/10

Tornado of Souls - Overall a solid song, same complaints/praises as the rest of the album thus far. - 8/10

Dawn Patrol - The bass and slow drumbeats introduce the shortest song on the album. Lyrics are delivered in a spoken word style. It just doesn't fit the album but it isn't a bad song. - 7/10

Rust In Peace... Polaris - The title track kicks off with furious drums and some aggressive guitar before the lead starts singing. Really strong instrumental work on this song. A solid - 8.5/10

Overall 81%

Last edited:
Images-and-Words.jpg

Album 72/365

1. Pull Me Under - What an epic way to open an album. This eight minute number doesn't feel like it's really that long, and despite that it's the band's most famous song. Maybe it's overrated, but I wouldn't know. I really like it though. It's got a lot of great moments throughout and builds nicely. Great stuff. 9/10

2. Another Day - Holy shit, is this a pop ballad? Holy shit, it's a pop ballad! Okay, it does get a bit heavy halfway through, but for fuck's sake, it even features a saxophone in it. I'm not really complaining, because I'm a sucker for ballads, although I can't say this is the best one I've ever heard. I like what they're going for though. Maybe not the best follow-up to "Pull Me Under", but at any rate, it ain't half bad. 8/10

3. Take The Time - More metal pop? I don't really care for the keyboard here, and LaBrie sounds like Michael Jackson at times. I don't mind change-ups in music but Jesus, there are just so many constantly happening that it starts to feel like it's their way of masturbating. The chorus is pretty nice but not mindblowing, and really... this stuff isn't at all what I'd expected from this album, and I can't say that's a good thing. Not a terribly bad song, but there's a lot of things that hold it back. 6/10

4. Surrounded - Oh boy, another ballad? I really feel like I turned on the wrong album by mistake, because this stuff sounds like '80s pop laced with metal. When it gets heavier it's pretty cool, though. Okay, LaBrie is pretty great here. There's some blander stuff here, but also some great stuff. I don't think it's quite as fully formed as "Another Day", though. 7/10

5. Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle And The Sleeper" - This is one of the songs I've heard from this album before, alongside "Pull Me Under", but it never clicked with me, unlike that song. Let's see if that's changed. I'm digging this opening, it's really cool. My issues with all the little changes constantly going on is still kind of present here, but luckily not as "in your face" as they were in "Take The Time", and there's some great melodic stuff going on throughout that I quite like. LaBrie also sounds pretty great. The keyboard solo isn't really my thing, though. Yeah, the instrumental section as a whole just isn't for me. The song ends well, and it's definitely the best thing since the opener, but it's not nearly perfect. 8/10

6. Under A Glass Moon - Ooh, this opening is pretty sweet. Let's see if it can keep that up for the rest of the song. The first verse was pretty awesome, and LaBrie hits some great notes throughout the song. Actually, I'm really on board with almost everything here. It's a pretty great song. 9/10

7. Wait For Sleep - Okay, I like this ballad-y song. It's short but sweet enough. 8/10

8. Learning To Live - And for a closer, we break the eleven minute mark for the album's longest number. Is length a determination of quality? Hopefully. The opening is kinda cool, though not mindblowing. And I really have nothing much to say about this song, really. The instrumental stuff is great, the ending is great, and much of the other stuff is pretty good. Some stuff doesn't blow me away, but as a whole it's a pretty good song. 8/10

Wow, that was interesting. I really didn't think "prog metal" meant "pop metal", lol. Some meh stuff, some great stuff, weird album. Is it as good as many claim? No, but it's not the worst thing ever by any means. Good, not quite great album.

Rating: 79%

Last edited:
Images-and-Words.jpg

Album 72/365

1. Pull Me Under - What an epic way to open an album. This eight minute number doesn't feel like it's really that long, and despite that it's the band's most famous song. Maybe it's overrated, but I wouldn't know. I really like it though. It's got a lot of great moments throughout and builds nicely. Great stuff. 9/10

2. Another Day - Holy shit, is this a pop ballad? Holy shit, it's a pop ballad! Okay, it does get a bit heavy halfway through, but for fuck's sake, it even features a saxophone in it. I'm not really complaining, because I'm a sucker for ballads, although I can't say this is the best one I've ever heard. I like what they're going for though. Maybe not the best follow-up to "Pull Me Under", but at any rate, it ain't half bad. 8/10

3. Take The Time - More metal pop? I don't really care for the keyboard here, and LaBrie sounds like Michael Jackson at times. I don't mind change-ups in music but Jesus, there are just so many constantly happening that it starts to feel like it's their way of masturbating. The chorus is pretty nice but not mindblowing, and really... this stuff isn't at all what I'd expected from this album, and I can't say that's a good thing. Not a terribly bad song, but there's a lot of things that hold it back. 6/10

4. Surrounded - Oh boy, another ballad? I really feel like I turned on the wrong album by mistake, because this stuff sounds like '80s pop laced with metal. When it gets heavier it's pretty cool, though. Okay, LaBrie is pretty great here. There's some blander stuff here, but also some great stuff. I don't think it's quite as fully formed as "Another Day", though. 7/10

5. Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle And The Sleeper" - This is one of the songs I've heard from this album before, alongside "Pull Me Under", but it never clicked with me, unlike that song. Let's see if that's changed. I'm digging this opening, it's really cool. My issues with all the little changes constantly going on is still kind of present here, but luckily not as "in your face" as they were in "Take The Time", and there's some great melodic stuff going on throughout that I quite like. LaBrie also sounds pretty great. The keyboard solo isn't really my thing, though. Yeah, the instrumental section as a whole just isn't for me. The song ends well, and it's definitely the best thing since the opener, but it's not nearly perfect. 8/10

6. Under A Glass Moon - Ooh, this opening is pretty sweet. Let's see if it can keep that up for the rest of the song. The first verse was pretty awesome, and LaBrie hits some great notes throughout the song. Actually, I'm really on board with almost everything here. It's a pretty great song. 9/10

7. Wait For Sleep - Okay, I like this ballad-y song. It's short but sweet enough. 8/10

8. Learning To Live - And for a closer, we break the eleven minute mark for the album's longest number. Is length a determination of quality? Hopefully. The opening is kinda cool, though not mindblowing. And I really have nothing much to say about this song, really. The instrumental stuff is great, the ending is great, and much of the other stuff is pretty good. Some stuff doesn't blow me away, but as a whole it's a pretty good song. 8/10

Wow, that was interesting. I really didn't think "prog metal" meant "pop metal", lol. Some meh stuff, some great stuff, weird album. Is it as good as many claim? No, but it's not the worst thing ever by any means. Good, not quite great album.

Rating: 79%
Finally! I get where you are going with the pop metal kind of.. I think it's more of a reflection of the era they were in at the time. It's very 90's. The good news for you is that the next album Awake is a lot heavier. I don't know if this is the start of your Dream Theater reviews, I would suggest revisiting this album a bit later. After listening to some other albums it will grow immensely. It didn't click for me immediately.

This one is gonna be a high rating...

58/365
Black_Sabbath_Heaven_and_Hell.jpg

Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell

Neon Nights - The roaring opener to this classic Sabbath Album encompasses the talent of the band perfectly, killer riffs and solo, Geezer's bass work is top notch and the drums rock. Oh and Dio's melodic voice soars over the band. Easy 10/10

Children of The Sea - The majestic Children Of The Sea follows up the roaring opener, Dio sings softly on the intro before the band kicks in. Heavy but absolutely beautiful. The first song that Tony and Ronnie wrote together and the reason we have the amazing album we do. - 10/10

Lady Evil - The groovy bass intro leads into a fun track. More on the poppier side but still heavy at the same time. The lyrics are 100% Dio, fantasy based and delivered in a great manner. - 9/10

Heaven and Hell - The monster title track closes off side 1. A killer riff, lengthy with Dio singing through the stratosphere. How can one not sign to that riff? The breakdown into the final solo is also a peace of brilliance - 10/10

Wishing Well - Some fast paced drum work from Ward kicks off the 2nd side, Tony and Geezer contribute nicely to this track as well. A solid track that is completely overshadowed by the monstrous tracks of this amazing album - 8.5/10

Die Young - Calm intro leads into roaring guitars from Tony and Dio kicking serious ass on vocals, the live version from Wacken with Geezer tearing up remains one of my favourite live videos for metal as it shows just how powerful the song remains all these years later - 10/10

Walk Away - Another overshadowed track, I recall disliking this track before but now it is a really enjoyable track. another 8.5/10

Lonely Is The Word - Slower and heavy. Dio sings out to all those who feel alone, midway in the band gets more into the song and Tony shows off some of his chops. The song. A nice way to end off the album - 9/10

Overall 94%

Last edited:
Metropolis Pt. 2 is amazing, and it's one of my favorite albums ever. To be fair, tho, I think it's the only Dream Theater album I've ever listened to from start to finish.

59/365
Boston_-_Don%27t_Look_Back.jpg

Don't Look Back - Boston

Don't Look Back - The title track opens up the album, it sounds a little more subdued than the previous Boston record I heard, the harmonies aren't as pronounced but the band is still on fire. Vocals are solid as well. - 9/10

The Journey - Transitioning from the previous track into spacy with some solid synths work. Serves really well as bridge between tracks but should really be put as part of the next track. - 8/10

Its Easy - Fast paced kicking off with a bang, Harmonies are back, the guitar and synth harmonies in the instrumental portion of the track is glorious. A solid track overall - 8/10

A Man I'll Never Be - A power ballad, starting off with just keys and vocals, the guitars come in and begin to pick up the pace a little but there is so much feeling in the guitar work on this song. This song really harkens back to the debut album and the song is such a great ballad. - 9.5/10

Feelin' Satisfied - Some nice guitar work kicks off the second side, faster paced once again. Solid track - 8.5/10

Party - A fairly solid track. Clearly meant to get the crowd pumped. Musicianship is strong as per usual. Not an outright amazing track but solid - 7.5/10

Used To Bad News - Another solid track, not too much more to say this album is really solid overall - 7.5/10

Don't Be Afraid - The album closes off with a faster paced track, great guitar harmonies on this track. Nice vocal delivery once more. - 8/10

Overall 82%

Last edited:
Yea not much of a thrash metal fan, it is a pretty good song but it doesn't really reach the godly/epic status it has amongst fans.

I can’t disgaree more. It’s the epitome of thrash, the pinnacle of the style while also pushing the technicality and catchiness of the style to new heights.

Last edited:
Back