365 Albums In One Year

I’m partial to Ghost Reveries but BWP is a close second. Incredible album. Love the buildup at the end of the title track.

10 is a very small number in this context so I'm bound to leave some very beloved albums out. In this particular moment I'll go with:

Blackwater Park, Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Damnation by Opeth; Somewhere in Time and Powerslave by Iron Maiden; Ride the Lightning by Metallica; In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson; Animals by Pink Floyd and Argus by Wishbone Ash.

First three Metallica album reviews are done.

METALLICA - KILL 'EM ALL
20150807_213844_7549_752889.jpeg

Album 26/365

Review >

METALLICA - RIDE THE LIGHTNING
metallica-ride-the-lightning.jpg

Album 27/365

Review >

METALLICA - MASTER OF PUPPETS
th

Album 28/365

Review >

New Ghost review! Yay!

GHOST - MELIORA
Ghost_Meliora.jpg

Album 30/365

Review >

*I've actually heard 31 albums in the month of January, so I hit the perfect amount necessary for the project, but the final album is a part of the Metallica listen and won't be posted here until sometime in February, likely over the weekend.

More Metallica, plus two classics of early hard rock and heavy metal.

METALLICA - ...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL
th

Album 31/365

Review >

DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID

th
Black-Sabbath-Paranoid.jpg

Albums 32&33/365

Reviews >

I know it's not technically an album, but I felt like checking this EP out and decided to include it as part of the project.

MAYHEM - DEATHCRUSH
Deathcrush-Mayhem.jpg

Album 34/365

My issue with a lot of black metal is that the production and the style of music can get boring when it goes on for too long. Not this album. 18 minutes and 30 seconds is the right amount of time for it to develop and progress and get where it wants you to go... straight to your grave. It's kind of like a found footage film, in a way. Bad production levels obscure what might be somewhat discernible otherwise, the music is brutally raw, and the vocals are like a tortured soul crying out dementedly in pain and anguish and it's emotional in the most horrific manner possible. "Silvester Anfang" is like a summoning to a demonic ritual in the woods, and "Deathcrush" and "Chainsaw Gutsfuck" smack you across the skull and drag you, bleeding, up onto the altar of sacrifice. The ritual begins in the "Witching Hour" cover (which is better than the original) and heightens in "Necrolust", at the end of which you manage to get away. You come to an old house, and a piano inside starts to play by itself - "(Weird) Manheim" - and then all the demons inside let loose and you're dragged away to the pits of Hades forever. As you leave, an "Outro" sees you to your fate, which is legitimately the scariest piece of music I have ever heard and I love it. I also love this album. This thing is really, really close to being perfect.

Rating: 99%

10/365
Def_Leppard_-_High_%27n%27_Dry.jpg

High N Dry – Def Leppard
Format: Vinyl

Let it go - A blistering opener, clearly hearing all of Def Lep’s trademarks on this one. Full on NWOBHM on this track as well. Easily one of their best songs ever. 10/10

Another Hit and Run – A fast opening leads into a calmer section which leads into a mid-paced track which sadly doesn’t pull me in, overall a solid track but compared to the opener it leaves some to be desired. - 7/10

High N Dry (Saturday Night) – The title track kicks off with a nice hook and some crunchy riffs, a easily repeatable chorus. An overall fun track – 8/10

Bringin On’ the Heartbreak/Switch 625 – A strong ballad with a nice outro which perfectly transitions into the instrumental track following it, these songs should have been a single track imo and am treating them as such 9/10 for both.

You Got Me Runnin - A solid rocker with a nice chorus kicks off side 2 not overly complex but a strong track - 7.5/10

Lady Strange - Something about this song's initial vocal delivery reminds me of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath's title track. A mid paced track that really picks up tempo for the solo section overall another solid track - 8/10

On Through The Night - The title track left off the first record. A galloping guitar riff leads into a wonderful track which features some excellent guitar and vocal work - 8.5/10

Mirror Mirror (Look into my Eyes) - Strong rocker that is another fun Def Leppard classic deep cut - 8.5/10

No No No - The album closes with a fast paced track with some quick vocals on Elliot's part. Overall a nice way to end the album - 8/10

Overall 84%

11/365
I_love_rock_n%27_roll_-_joan_jett_%28album_cover%29.JPG

I Love Rock N Roll - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Format: Vinyl

I love Rock N Roll - The instantly recognizable title track kicks off the record. Classic song and rightfully so, amazing sing-a-long chorus and some solid musicianship - 9.5/10

(I'm Gonna) Run Away - Some rougher sounding guitars kick off the follow up, Joan sings in a cleaner voice with some clear harmonies, a very short and solid track - 7.5/10

Love is Pain - A full on punk sounding ballad of sorts. Strong song but not amazing - 7.5/10

Nag - The call and answer style reminds me of the Beatles, fast paced with some nice harmonies but overall nothin special - 7/10

Crimson and Clover - Side one closes out with this classic cover, and a really good one at that easily as strong as the title track - 9.5/10

Victim of Circumstances - A faster punk track kicks off side 2, callbacks to her song Bad Reputation are throughout the track which actually makes me like the track a little more - 9/10

Bits and Pieces - This one screams old school punk however it lacks the attitude, filler - 6/10

Be Straight - Starts off promising however becomes another filler track - 6.5/10

You're Too Possessive - A clear break up song, overall solid but nothing special - 7.5/10

Little Drummer Boy - Yet another cover closes out the album another solid track but again nothing special. Haven't been engaged since the end of the first song on this side. 7/10

Overall 77% but it really is about a 65% as a whole brought up by some killer tracks

Last edited:
More Metallica and the final Ghost album. Note: Album 36 is Load, which is yet to be reviewed.

METALLICA - METALLICA
metallica-black-album.jpg

Album 35/365

Review >

GHOST - PREQUELLE
th

Album 37/365

Review >

More Metallica and the final Ghost album. Note: Album 36 is Load, which is yet to be reviewed.

METALLICA - METALLICA
metallica-black-album.jpg

Album 35/365

Review >

GHOST - PREQUELLE
th

Album 37/365

Review >
Which is album 36? You have 35 and 37 here. NO CHEATING!

Back