As you scream into the web of silence...
Well, Genghis and Ides are lit, but yeah, other than that...
I will say that Killers upon my first ever listen to any tracks other than Wrathfhild yielded this rating. I do intend on relistening to a few of the albums again if I somehow manage to get ahead of schedule. SSOASS and Killers are both on that listYes, agreed. SSOASS is a 10/10 album all the way through. Half of Killers is below 5/10 in quality. It's recycled, repetitive, and uninspired. The title track, Murders, and Wrathchild are all-time classics, the rest is filler at best.
The best song on the album is the only one that doesn't get a 10/10
1. The Moor - I like this quiet opening piece. It's quite long but it seems to be setting up for something massive. Okay, now acoustic guitars, that's interesting. Was expected a break into heaviness. But I like this. Okay, there it is. Damn this riff is awesome. It sounds like something off of AMOLAD, actually. Damn I'm loving it. The growls are awesome and the lyrics make them work even better. Ooh, these clean vocals are awesome. Okay, now we're calming down.... wait no, now we've erupted into majestical guitars. The song really does feel like a walk through the moors. Heaviness seems to be fading out in favor of acoustic guitars, which are neat. This verse is kind of interesting and I like the vocalizations in the neat piece. Quite a magical sound, isn't it? FUCKING SHIT I love this eruption back into the violent heaviness they throw us into. Like a ship tossed on the waves, like the ooze climbing up from the moor to carry you down. If the rest of the album is as awesome as this then I think I've hit on something epic. 10/10
2. Godhead's Lament - A more aggressive opening to this one, which I'm digging a lot. Vocals and lyrics are great once again. The guitarwork here is excellent, particularly in the piece following the second verse. That scream! THOSE LEAD GUITARS BEFORE THE CHORUS ARE SO GOOD IM FUCKING CRYING. It sounds like some sort of ABBA song only heavier and I know that's gonna sound funny but whatever, I love it. Lord is that just amazing. Then that quiet section where electricity and acoustics intertwine, so good. Heaviness rolls back in this storm cloud. The growls seep in. Okay, another quieter section. The refrain and the chorus pieces are both great. This song is so good, I love it. 10/10
3. Benighted - More acoustic guitars. I like it, great opening to the song. I really like how this track fits in with the album. Mikael does a great job with his clean vocals here and it's quite a nice, moonlit track. Ooh, the drums have kicked in. Yeah, this is another great, great song. Nice reprieve from the heaviness. 10/10
4. Moonlapse Vertigo - And the heaviness returns. Åkerfeldt and Lindgren are quite the guitar duo, they intertwine with each other so well. Now we're slipping into an acoustic piece as the clean vocals come in. Okay but that scream is lit. Skipping ahead a bit, I like this quiet bit after "through the forest came the morn." It's very nice. Cool solo section afterwards. I'm liking this fifth verse. Nice fade-out. Don't think I quite like this as much as the first three, but it's still great. 9/10
5. Face Of Melinda - Another quiet intro the start off the song. Mikael sounds really good here, probably some of the best of his clean vocals I've heard yet. It's a very lush song and I like how... traditional, I guess, it feels. Quite lovely. A shuffling bit, ooh. Seems rather sinister. FUCK YES! Here we go, the heavy guitars have finally kicked in. It took a while, but it's worth it, because it sounds great. That acoustic piece near the end is great as well, and then that break back into the heaviness. Lovely. Another awesome, awesome song. 10/10
6. Serenity Painted Death - That drum opening is awesome. We burst into the heavy flowing river that is this song. Oh shit, they've killed Melinda. Damn. Okay I love this rocking bit we move into. Chorus is awesome. Cool soloings. Cool quiet bit, like falling into a pool of endless depth. And then the hellhound returns in a rage to consume all. A very dark song but it's another great one. Good stuff. 10/10
7. White Cluster - The last song stopped suddenly and then this one just exploded. This beginning is, once more, awesome. Okay, acoustic stuffs for the third verse, that's pretty neat. Another great chorus. The solo section is great as well. Love how it just flows throughout. Oh but they're calming down again. So hollow, so void, so vague, yet so... present. Okay but now it slams back in and the drums are absolutely awesome. Yes, now it feels like we're being paraded through in a coach with horsemen of the black cloth leading us onwards to the demise. It's so fucking good. What a great way to end the album. Particularly that quiet piece that seeps in after you think it's all over. Great stuff. 10/10
Wow, what a record. Better than Blackwater Park and up there with concept albums like Abigail. Just great, great stuff. Loved it.