Bruce Dickinson

He played with Moreno and Misanthrope on the previous album (as well as Roy Z) so it is hardly a concious effort to surround himself with teenagers to try and prove himself to the "yoof" crowd.....

From the interview in the article:

Bruce said the album was probably improved by waiting a little bit longer and getting it right. Like some additions to some songs (Wounds, Mirror), more vocals, or the writing of 2 new songs (Afterglow and Many Doors), which I think are needed. He waits for an inspiration for the ideas to happen.
At the same time, a few days ago Roy re-posted one of his interviews for the new album and said that ''simplicity is key for all things''. I think only Bruce really put additional ideas for the songs. I mean, they didn't even developed some of the other written material.

I don't think so. It's noticeable for him to play with younger and energetic musicians, although Maiden are still energetic live as much as possible.
First statement was: a stage without monsters, props…whatever…just musicians on stage with a video screen like 1972 :lol:
Now it's that he feels the energy & new blood from the young musicians of his band…:innocent:

In my opinion, Bruce often says stuff because he is enthusiastic without thinking much.
If you look at it closely, for example, none of his band members is really able to move to a rhythm, whereas with Janick, anyone who has had dance training (I'm a breakdancer) can see that he is very good at that. He doesn't just jump around chaotically.

I know that some fans still don't like Janick, but you really can't say that he's not highly energetic on stage.

In my opinion, Bruce often says stuff because he is enthusiastic without thinking much.
If you look at it closely, for example, none of his band members is really able to move to a rhythm, whereas with Janick, anyone who has had dance training (I'm a breakdancer) can see that he is very good at that. He doesn't just jump around chaotically.

I know that some fans still don't like Janick, but you really can't say that he's not highly energetic on stage.
I definitely didn't expect when I woke up today that I would be reading a breakdancer's analysis of Janick's stage moves. But I agree, I love his stage presence. Welcome to the forum!

Janick dances and prances and I wouldn't have it any other way. The topics in most Maiden songs are serious, but the live shows are fun and cheesy with a hint of epicness. I prefer musicians not taking themselves too seriously rather than the entire thing becoming a pretentious mess.

And if people really have issues with Janick's stage presence, there are plenty of other people on that stage that you can focus on.

Pure wishful thinking on my part but does anyone else think Bruce could make an appearance on the upcoming season of Jools Holland? The below are the filming dates and the final ones conincide quite nicely with the start of the UK tour on the 16th:

Monday 22 April
Tuesday 23 April
Monday 29 April
Tuesday 30 April
Monday 13 May
Tuesday 14 May

I did an interview with one of the new guitarists Philip Naslund early April, and now it's online on Youtube. (It took us while to translate it to Turkish etc) I hope you like it and ignore my rusty english :)

I think there are many cool details on the interview. Especially his opinion about Metallica and Maiden's difference made me think :) He struggled a lot to not to give any clues about the setlist but there are some good info about how the rehearsals went on and etc. How they shared Adrian and Roy's parts etc. And a little nerdy talk about Maiden... Bruce's gig in Istanbul will take place on 19th of July, if there are people still thinking of which one to go, I can advice this one. The place of the gig is -as far as I can see- is the biggest arena in Europe. (except the festivals of course) (and it's nearly sold out as i heard)

Last edited:
Maybe Bruce will release the Sao Paulo show. There are two new trailers from it:

In the really short snippets of the live sound, the vocals didn't sound that good, so I hope for the official release it's better. I think it should be. Watching some live videos from the show, I think Bruce sang some songs like Navigate or even Tears better in the other Brazil shows.

Attachments

• band picture live.jpg
    band picture live.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 16
In the really short snippets of the live sound, the vocals didn't sound that good, so I hope for the official release it's better. I think it should be. Watching some live videos from the show, I think Bruce sang some songs like Navigate or even Tears better in the other Brazil shows.

All vocals in those clips, apart from when Bruce is addressing Sao Paulo or talking about having their picture taken, are the studio takes of the songs! :lol:

Dave Moreno's live Drum Solo (pro-shot filmed from only one angle?; he changed his white kit for a black one):

Btw, isn't his kit setup unusual? I'm curious. And since TOS I thought he would use a double bass drum, idk why.

Attachments

• dave moreno live.jpg
    dave moreno live.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 12
Dave Moreno's live Drum Solo (pro-shot filmed from only one angle?; he changed his white kit for a black one):

Btw, isn't his kit setup unusual? I'm curious. And since TOS I thought he would use a double bass drum, idk why.
Kit setups are a personal thing and vary from drummer to drummer.

He uses a double bass pedal, as do most touring acts. It's basically industry standard even if they have a second bass drum to use a double pedal and to only mic up one of the bass drums. Makes mixing drums much easier and helps with consistency. A second bass drum is often more for either aesthetic purposes or for stability purposes.

Back