Bruce Dickinson

He uses a double bass pedal, as do most touring acts. It's basically industry standard even if they have a second bass drum to use a double pedal and to only mic up one of the bass drums. Makes mixing drums much easier and helps with consistency. A second bass drum is often more for either aesthetic purposes or for stability purposes.
I don't think that's true at all. Guys like Dave Lombardo for example have gone on record they prefer two separate bass drums simply because then the beaters aren't hitting the same drumhead and causing interference issues for the drummers. In fact I don't think I've literally heard of anyone bringing out two bass drums on tour if they aren't being used, so I dunno where that came from.

I don't think that's true at all. Guys like Dave Lombardo for example have gone on record they prefer two separate bass drums simply because then the beaters aren't hitting the same drumhead and causing interference issues for the drummers. In fact I don't think I've literally heard of anyone bringing out two bass drums on tour if they aren't being used, so I dunno where that came from.
Just wanted to write that.

Of course there are exceptions and bigger bands can often afford such a privilege, especially for more important shows, but you can take a look at live footage of plenty of smaller bands and you can see exactly what I wrote: that only one of the bass drums is actually mic'd up. I know for a fact that Iced Earth, for example, often used double bass pedals for many of their tours despite lugging around the second bass drum.

Edit: To add to the reasoning used by many FOH engineers and drummers, two bass drums can have significant sound differences on the night of the show, so using a double pedal on a single drum guarantees consistency and cuts down on tuning time.

Last edited:
Watching some live clips - does anyone else find the keytar solo during the great and memorable heavy part of Book Of Thel before the solos a bit odd? It's cool and with a fitting melody, but it is similar to Adrian's solo. Also, why a song like Resurrection Men (or even Ragnarok) which is without an original solo not have one live or additional melodic part. I think the keytar works pretty well for the other songs.

Nice initiative!

Bruce will be at the vanguard of the fundraising campaign and will soon be launching an auction of memorabilia from both IRON MAIDEN and his solo career, through the IRON MAIDEN fan club, including the William Blake gravestone as seen in the "Rain On The Graves" video. Plans are also underway for Bruce to play a fundraising concert, details of which will be announced in due course.

"Sometimes, if I throw a shit-fit at some guy in the audience, it’s because they’ve behaved in a way that’s broken the spell. "

The Maiden PR machine working overtime.

Back