Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

The hall has been pretty inconsistent, for example specifically only inducting the original lineup of Kiss while other bands (like Metallica) have been able to include all of their members.

I think the closest analog will be Priest. It looks like they inducted the core lineup, Halford, Hill, Tipton, Downing, plus the three main drummers (Holland, Binks, Travis). No Ripper, no Faulkner. I think inducting Scott Travis and not Ripper is pretty similar to inducting Janick but not Blaze (almost the exact same timeline too). With Maiden, I could see them inducting the current lineup including Janick on the basis that he is still in the band and has been since 1990. After that probably Paul Di'Anno, Clive Burr, and maybe Dennis Stratton. No Blaze. But at the end of the day, I don't think a lot of thought goes into these rock hall inductions.

As for Maiden's response, I tend to think of it as a matter of "it's uncool until we're in it." They have memorabilia at the hall right now that they've donated to the organization, so obviously they don't have a hostile relationship with the hall in private. It'll be interesting to see if they play at the ceremony. It doesn't really seem in their brand to do one-offs like that (when was the last time they even appeared on TV?) and it definitely doesn't seem in their brand to reunite with former members or jam with other artists. It would be cool to see, but I think the most we're going to get is Bruce Dickinson giving a speech on behalf of the rest of the band.

Rod feeling guilty about all those Queen harmonies in Phantom?
The vocal harmonies? I think they are a perfect feature for the song.
Maiden just doesn't fit this ambient.
I can agree, although it's like a TV appearance, like those from the early 2000's.
The hall has been pretty inconsistent, for example specifically only inducting the original lineup of Kiss while other bands (like Metallica) have been able to include all of their members.

I think the closest analog will be Priest. It looks like they inducted the core lineup, Halford, Hill, Tipton, Downing, plus the three main drummers (Holland, Binks, Travis). No Ripper, no Faulkner. I think inducting Scott Travis and not Ripper is pretty similar to inducting Janick but not Blaze (almost the exact same timeline too). With Maiden, I could see them inducting the current lineup including Janick on the basis that he is still in the band and has been since 1990. After that probably Paul Di'Anno, Clive Burr, and maybe Dennis Stratton. No Blaze. But at the end of the day, I don't think a lot of thought goes into these rock hall inductions.

As for Maiden's response, I tend to think of it as a matter of "it's uncool until we're in it." They have memorabilia at the hall right now that they've donated to the organization, so obviously they don't have a hostile relationship with the hall in private. It'll be interesting to see if they play at the ceremony. It doesn't really seem in their brand to do one-offs like that (when was the last time they even appeared on TV?) and it definitely doesn't seem in their brand to reunite with former members or jam with other artists. It would be cool to see, but I think the most we're going to get is Bruce Dickinson giving a speech on behalf of the rest of the band.
I agree. I don't think Maiden care about it, but only Bruce doesn't like their ''award''. It would be cool to see them play (especially with Paul and Blaze), but you're right. Video speech is really plausible. Rod will convince Bruce.

Last edited:

Kiss has had a weird stance regarding the Rock Hall. First they said they don't care they're not in it, then they kissed a bunch of ass when they got nominated/inducted, then they got pissed that they were in it.

The non blaze induction is a load of bollocks.

If a band is inducted then to my mind everyone who played on an album should be eligible.

It seems the rock hall just make up whatever rule they want to depending on each band. I mean Steve morse who was with deep purple for 22 years when they were inducted was refused using the 25 year rule yet when Metallica were inducted in 2009 they allowed Rob Trujillo in yet he had only been a member for 6 years and played on 1 album!

I would love Maiden to snub the award if they get in on principle. Whether you like blaze or the albums he was on is irrelevant. If it wasn’t for that period we may never have had the reunion as the band were close to folding. Plus blaze had a lot of writing credits on the 2 albums he did.

From "Classic Rock", March 2023 issue:

Steve was a stamp collector as a kid.

"...
The Somewhere In Time album saw the integration of guitar synths and even bass synths to the Maiden sound.

SH: It’s a really good transitional album. It’s also important because it saw Adrian [Smith, guitar] evolve into more of a writer.

On the summer shows will you do a deep dive and revisit something like The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner?

SH: That’s something I would love to play. I’m not sure we will, we will have to get to rehearsals and see, but it’s one I think we should do.

Were you happy with the way latest album Senjutsu was received?

SH: Yeah. There will always be people that think the band died in 1988, and much as it puzzles me it’s fine that someone could think that. Maybe they’re hoping we will go back and do something like we did in eighty-eight, but we’ll never do that. Now is now. Why would anyone want part two of something from the past?

With four tracks in just over 40 minutes, Disc Two was a master class in Maiden’s current, prog-conscious direction.

SH: That’s just the way it worked out in trying to format the album when vinyl became popular again. Had that not been a factor, the running order might have been different.

Could Maiden write another short, snappy song like Run To The Hills?

SH: We never know until we start a new album, so I wouldn’t rule it out. You might get a shorter song… but probably not from me. I tend to meander off. But part of the direction of Senjutsu was me thinking: “If this is to be our last album, then I want to use some of the bigger ideas that I’ve got.”
Could there be another Iron Maiden album?

SH: Who knows for sure? At the moment we want to tour as much as we can. But even if we did semiretire [from playing live], we could still make albums. I don’t know. We’ll see.

I always thought that it would be nice to make fifteen albums, which we’ve surpassed. It’s all downhill from here, isn’t it? [Laughs.] But each of us is still enjoying it – possibly more than ever – maybe because we know that we’re coming towards the end. We try not to think too much about that, but so long as everyone still enjoys what we do we’ll keep on going as long as we can.
DL"

music-magazine-classic-rock-special-iron-maiden-third-edition-cover.jpg

That puzzles me. Appears as if I already bought the same in German in 2021 as "Sonderheft Nummer 4", but I'm not sure.

Long Distance Runner would be a really unexpected deep cut. Unsure if it would make it past rehearsals as its a very tough song to play and sing.

I'd absolutely love for Maiden to tour MUCH less and still make albums. We might get one more frequently than ever 5-6 years! Based on the current pattern we'd be looking for the next album in 2026!

That talk of knowing they're coming towards the end is simultaneously wholesome and heartbreaking. It'll be an incredibly sad day when they announce that it's over.

SH: It’s a really good transitional album. It’s also important because it saw Adrian [Smith, guitar] evolve into more of a writer.
Thank you for sharing this interesting interview.

I agree with Steve about Adrian. SIT is indeed a transition album to SSOASS, but it's a fantastic one..., Steve!
Were you happy with the way latest album Senjutsu was received?

SH: Yeah. There will always be people that think the band died in 1988, and much as it puzzles me it’s fine that someone could think that. Maybe they’re hoping we will go back and do something like we did in eighty-eight, but we’ll never do that. Now is now. Why would anyone want part two of something from the past?
Superb answer from Steve. I agree on a 100%. I think this is the first time any of the band members have addressed this.
With four tracks in just over 40 minutes, Disc Two was a master class in Maiden’s current, prog-conscious direction.

SH: That’s just the way it worked out in trying to format the album when vinyl became popular again. Had that not been a factor, the running order might have been different.
That's curious to hear. Ending the album with the 3 great epics is perfect and special for it and me.
Could Maiden write another short, snappy song like Run To The Hills?

SH: We never know until we start a new album, so I wouldn’t rule it out. You might get a shorter song… but probably not from me. I tend to meander off. But part of the direction of Senjutsu was me thinking: “If this is to be our last album, then I want to use some of the bigger ideas that I’ve got.”
''Stratego'' is a shorter song, Steve. But I understand him, Adrian, Bruce and Janick mostly write the shorter songs (along with Steve too, ofc). He is the master of the long epic songs!

His later part of the answer is the reason why he wrote so many epics for Senjutsu.
Could there be another Iron Maiden album?

SH: Who knows for sure? At the moment we want to tour as much as we can. But even if we did semiretire [from playing live], we could still make albums. I don’t know. We’ll see.

I always thought that it would be nice to make fifteen albums, which we’ve surpassed. It’s all downhill from here, isn’t it? [Laughs.] But each of us is still enjoying it – possibly more than ever – maybe because we know that we’re coming towards the end. We try not to think too much about that, but so long as everyone still enjoys what we do we’ll keep on going as long as we can.
They want to tour as much as they can - maybe that means 3 legs of TFP tour is certain, and probably because they missed 2 years without touring. I'm glad to hear they are still enjoying everything. Keep it up Maiden! 20 albums sounds better than the 15 albums goal. :)

About the semiretire -> that's a surprise. I always thought they enjoyed playing live more than making albums and that they will always prefer to do both together.
I'd absolutely love for Maiden to tour MUCH less and still make albums. We might get one more frequently than ever 5-6 years! Based on the current pattern we'd be looking for the next album in 2026!
Yeah, maybe every 3 years, but I'm not sure about that, although I would love to hear more and more new Maiden albums. It's just like they always say: ''we truly shine live''.

I think we'll get at least 1 more album, probably in 2025 or 2026.
That talk of knowing they're coming towards the end is simultaneously wholesome and heartbreaking. It'll be an incredibly sad day when they announce that it's over.
You're so right. Maiden is <3.

Last edited:
Metal Hammer Germany year-end vote 2022:

Best band of all time: 1 Iron Maiden
Best concert 2022: 1 Iron Maiden

Maiden are not on the list of losers this time. That would be 1 Manowar 2 Rammstein 3 Sabaton 4 Slipknot 5 Metallica

About the semiretire -> that's a surprise. I always thought they enjoyed playing live more than making albums and that they will always prefer to do both together.

Yeah, maybe every 3 years, but I'm not sure about that, although I would love to hear more and more new Maiden albums. It's just like they always say: ''we truly shine live''.

I think we'll get at least 1 more album, probably in 2025 or 2026.

You're so right. Maiden is <3.
I dont think its anything to do with WANTING to semi retire i thinks its just they know they are getting to the point they just cant do it anymore. Especially to the high standards they are used. Songs are getting slower, Bruce is sounding more strained. All the ravages of time im afraid. I think they have a few more years left of touring and then thats probably that. I for one wont know what i'll do then

Back