The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
steve usually cares for how the words and lines sound, match the music, and all that phonetics, and to make it sound right he sometimes put the poetry or the historic info on the shadow.

Yeap maybe this is why he threw events out of order. In any case musically it's a masterpiece, it even contains some pieces or an ancient Greek dance 3:53 -4:35 time stamp in the song.
Check the video of the dance itself and what the Greek interviewer asks Harris in 8:53 of the interview.

Yeap maybe this is why he threw events out of order. In any case musically it's a masterpiece, it even contains some pieces or an ancient Greek dance 3:53 -4:35 time stamp in the song.
Check the video of the dance itself and what the Greek interviewer asks Harris in 8:53 of the interview.
thx for great insight, i'm from Turkey and familiar with greek music, we have some alike dance melodies also :)
and i agree, somehow steve may have been influenced from greek melodies.
also in this video it's interesting to see steve comment on Manowar's music and Joey as a bassguitarist. Rare stuff. I was watching this Metalmania Show from Turkey by the way, from Izmir (Symrna) we could watch Greek channels EPT 1 and 2.

"It's not the historicity aspect but its too prosaic without any catch to it. For me it is a lot more closer to cheesy power metal lyrics than to Maiden's or Harris' standard."

ATG is a song that Manowar wished they could have written. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the song and I hope we finally get to hear it on the Future Past Tour.

Last edited:
the bit about AtG in Bruce's show is now on YouTube. he is not answering really, so the reports are false. but there is hope:

He can't say - but of course. This is his answer from Bergen, the reports were from Oslo.

''ATG is more of a winter season player''... :oops:

It will be exactly five years since the last time I saw Maiden, and the third time I see them on the 28th of May. London 2017 and Helsinki 2018 being the two other times.

I felt like that was important info to share with you people.

:lol:

I have seen Maiden live in May on several different tours (Virtual XI in 1998, GMETID in 2003, Maiden England in 2013, The Book of Souls in 2017), but only once did they play for me on my birthday: second gig of the GMETID tour.

Pointless fact, I know.

:lol:

I have seen Maiden live in May on several different tours (Virtual XI in 1998, GMETID in 2003, Maiden England in 2013, The Book of Souls in 2017), but only once did they play for me on my birthday: second gig of the GMETID tour.

Pointless fact, I know.
First time I ever heard or saw Maiden live was on my birthday in 1981, with Priest and Whitesnake. Another pointless but cool for me fact.

thx for great insight, i'm from Turkey and familiar with greek music, we have some alike dance melodies also :)
and i agree, somehow steve may have been influenced from greek melodies.
also in this video it's interesting to see steve comment on Manowar's music and Joey as a bassguitarist. Rare stuff. I was watching this Metalmania Show from Turkey by the way, from Izmir (Symrna) we could watch Greek channels EPT 1 and 2.

Yeah big time, in Greece we still use the Turkish /Arabic names of makams in our traditional music, we call them "roads" with names such as Hicaz, Uşşâk, Hüseynî, Rast, Kürdî, only to discover that those were the same exact scales note per note that Pythagoras used to call Phrygian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Ionian, Dorian etc.
Or the 9/8 rhythm. There were hymns written under this one, but the way we dance it today 4 + 4 + 1 comes from Zeybeks in Anatolia.

No way! :D You were watching Metalmania? Huge! So we must have the same age. This guy was good, he even released his own project and album go there, awesome --> (12:01) late 80s, early 90s (heavy Richie Blackmore influences) but later disappeared. Anyway, that time Metalmania was for us young metalheads a true oasis in the desert!

My late teacher Talip Özkan was from Izmir. Have you heard of him?

ATG is a song that Manowar wished they could have written. :D

:lol: Haaha Manowar are cheesy alright but when it came to write about Iliad, they are the only ones that I know (including Hollywood) that got it right. So I'd think that they would get it right with ATG as well.
See, Iliad is only an portion of a wider epic cycle. Other portions written by different people are now lost, Homer wrote only 2 portions, Iliad & Odyssey, which both survived due to their quality and innovation (first time an epic poet broke the linear approach in the narrative and started to narrate from the middle -backwards and then fwd).
Despite what most people (even in Greece) think, Idiad is not about the War of Troy, it's about Achilles anger (towards chief or army Agamemnon) and its consequences. Exactly as Manowar present it in their 29 minute epic Achilles, Agony & Ecstasy.

But musically yes, ATG is just divine, Manowar are right to be jealous! ;)

"It's not the historicity aspect but its too prosaic without any catch to it. For me it is a lot more closer to cheesy power metal lyrics than to Maiden's or Harris' standard."
Without any catch to it? That's far from the truth imo and the vocal delivery in the verses is not that different from the one in Rime. About the lyrics, Steve said in 2006 that the melodies are first and foremost for him, iirc. I think the lyrics are better than the ones on To Tame A Land.

Speaking of the lyrics in these two songs, it seems Bruce is not a fan of them (the interview is from last year when TFP tour was already planned, I guess):

Q: Another Iron Maiden tune with sci-fi connection, written by Steve, is ''To Tame A Land'' based on Dune. This is very topical now, with the film about to come out. Any wishes for the new movie version?

Bruce: ''Listen, if they can get in “He is the Kwizatz Haderach/He is born of Caladan/And will take the Gom Jabbar” and say it with a straight face, that’s fantastic! I, frankly, have lost pieces of my tongue singing that song. Listen, there’s a whole world out there that goes “Oh, God, are you ever gonna’ do ‘To Tame A Land’ again?!? What about ‘Alexander the Great’?!?’” Oof, that’s another one. “His name struck fear into hearts of men/He died of fever in Babylon. We recently went back and listened to it and you know what we said? We said, “what is this bit? I don’t remember it!” This jazz-rock bit in the middle with guitars! I remember looking over at Adrian, and he’s looking at me going “shit, do I have to remember how to do that?!''

^ Adrian has no problem, Janick will learn it and play it great.

The interviewer's answer is really good:

Hey, man, you guys are complex musicians, that’s why we love you. Not because these songs are easy, but because they are hard!

Bruce: ''Yeah, you are right. And there’s a lot of that on this new album''.

If Bruce wants these questions about ATG to stop, the solution is really simple... :innocent:

He can't say - but of course. This is his answer from Bergen, the reports were from Oslo.

''ATG is more of a winter season player''... :oops:
What did he really say in Oslo? I didn't read any exact quote from that event, only some reports saying he was positive and we should expect it...

I didn't understand this reply neither and why it's considered positive for the song. Does he want to say that it won't be played in summer, but in winter when the tour continue.

The dance is not Greek, it's Bulgarian and called Rachenica. The tempo is unstraight - 7/8.

Yeah big time, in Greece we still use the Turkish /Arabic names of makams in our traditional music, we call them "roads" with names such as Hicaz, Uşşâk, Hüseynî, Rast, Kürdî, only to discover that those were the same exact scales note per note that Pythagoras used to call Phrygian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Ionian, Dorian etc.
Or the 9/8 rhythm. There were hymns written under this one, but the way we dance it today 4 + 4 + 1 comes from Zeybeks in Anatolia.

No way! :D You were watching Metalmania? Huge! So we must have the same age. This guy was good, he even released his own project and album go there, awesome --> (12:01) late 80s, early 90s (heavy Richie Blackmore influences) but later disappeared. Anyway, that time Metalmania was for us young metalheads a true oasis in the desert!

My late teacher Talip Özkan was from Izmir. Have you heard of him?

:lol: Haaha Manowar are cheesy alright but when it came to write about Iliad, they are the only ones that I know (including Hollywood) that got it right. So I'd think that they would get it right with ATG as well.
See, Iliad is only an portion of a wider epic cycle. Other portions written by different people are now lost, Homer wrote only 2 portions, Iliad & Odyssey, which both survived due to their quality and innovation (first time an epic poet broke the linear approach in the narrative and started to narrate from the middle -backwards and then fwd).
Despite what most people (even in Greece) think, Idiad is not about the War of Troy, it's about Achilles anger (towards chief or army Agamemnon) and its consequences. Exactly as Manowar present it in their 29 minute epic Achilles, Agony & Ecstasy.

But musically yes, ATG is just divine, Manowar are right to be jealous! ;)
Metalmania was one of our sources (maybe the only one!) to watch metal videos in the late 80's, early 90's. I remember first time seeing Judas Priest (Electric Eye - Live) on that programme. Also I remember seeing Joey DeMaio frequently on that show, they were friends as I remember. I might have some recordings from that show in my pile of VHS cassettes :) So yes, that was an oasis for us too! I'm 45 years old btw :)

I listened to Dimitris Katis' album just now, has the same vibe-soul of our local bands of that time. Liked it!

I'm not that into local music but Talip Özkan is quite famous, and considered as one of the masters of Turkish folk music... if he's the same Talip Özkan (probably he is) :) Was he living in Greece? What did you learn from him, baglama, saz? I'm happy to see these coincidences - connections, especially with neighbor countries like Greece and Bulgaria... After all this is what 'blood brothers' is all about : )

Sorry if we mess up the topic a little...

The Pyrrhichios (πυρρίχιος) is Ancient Greek, Ratschenitza is Bulgarian. Both are danced in 7/8. The Balkans have a ton of dances in odd time signatures, because they are often danced with short and long steps. A short step is equivalent to an eighth note, while a long step is 50% longer, being a dotted eighth note. That's why 7/8 and 9/8 dances are rather common in the area.

the bit about AtG in Bruce's show is now on YouTube. he is not answering really, so the reports are false. but there is hope:

Well, all the audience questions he answers are being pre-selected. He answers only what he wants to answer. In Hamburg the audience ATG question also got selected, and so it happened in many other places. So, my interpretation of this fact is that they will definitely play ATG. Otherwise this all would make no sense.

Metalmania was one of our sources (maybe the only one!) to watch metal videos in the late 80's, early 90's.

No MTV? There was Headbanger's Ball not too bad.

I'm not that into local music but Talip Özkan is quite famous, and considered as one of the masters of Turkish folk music... if he's the same Talip Özkan (probably he is) :) Was he living in Greece? What did you learn from him, baglama, saz? I'm happy to see these coincidences - connections, especially with neighbor countries like Greece and Bulgaria... After all this is what 'blood brothers' is all about : )

Myself and Talip were both living in Paris back then. He was a real master of saz. People were coming and live to Paris with the sole purpose to be his students.

I was working in a bar pretty close to his apartment. One night closing time, it clicked with some clients I did them a spontaneous introduction of my recordings. One of them, a jazz musician quite liked the vibe and when I revealed that I had been given an Oud recently, he told me about Talip and introduced me to him a few days later.
So like this, once a week as I was going to open the bar, I was passing first from Talip's with my Oud. The deal /ritual was I was preparing tea from the mountain of Taygetus (Sparta), we were drinking it first, talked a bit and then he was showing me something new. He never accepted money. After 2 -3 months I found another job in different location of Paris and I had to try hard to learn it fast so I was going less and less in Talip's and finally I stopped.

Then I left Paris, came back years later and I searched for him, only to find out he had died in Izmir.

Adrian will re-learn the ATG part. He is by far the most familiar with odd time signatures in the band. Plus, if he doesn't remember it, he has lots of friends (RK being one) who can learn it and help remind him.

The problem with that solo part is that it has almost no connection with the rythm going on in the background. But once you learn, play and understand it, it's kinda logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back