Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Refresher for what? The only things you learn during mandatory service are do your bed, shine your boots, shout when talk and stand up for 2 hours straight.
Well, that's pretty much it. My understanding is that this will be mostly battle training.

I applied for Murican Green Card Lottery. If by some miracle I was to win... what's the best city to move to?

I don't like warm weather too much, and tornadoes, hurricanes, crocodiles and guns scare me.

I applied for Murican Green Card Lottery. If by some miracle I was to win... what's the best city to move to?

I don't like warm weather too much, and tornadoes, hurricanes, crocodiles and guns scare me.
Well, then you shouldn't move to America if guns scare you.

Sounds like Boston to me. Might get a hurricane, but not too strong. It's not too hot.

I’m biased toward Denver but it is a great city to live in if you can afford it. It’s gotten ridiculously expensive although you have some options in the front range between denver and Boulder. If you want a smaller or cheaper city Santa Fe is nice but does get warm. You might like the Pacific Northwest better for weather, Seattle/Portland/etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding the areas with high crime rate and shootings.
Cities with high crime typically still have plenty of nice areas.

Sounds cool. I was also thinking Denver, Seattle and Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City has extremely bizarre liquor laws due to the large Mormon population there. Beautiful place, but beware the kook factor.

Tornadoes shouldn’t scare you. They can destroy your neighbor’s house while leaving yours untouched. Gun to your head, you should pick tornadoes over any other natural disaster. Seriously. What you should avoid are earthquakes, hurricanes, and flooding. And yes, crocodiles.

If you don’t want it too warm, you need to stick to the upper half of the country or a high altitude place like Denver. If you don’t ever want earthquakes, you need to stay away from the west coast. If you’re paranoid about guns, you should avoid red states and huge cities. That pretty much leaves Denver, Minneapolis, and the non-giant cities in New England. If you’re willing to compromise on some of the other things, then Washington (state), Oregon, and Chicago should be in the mix too.

We talked about Chicago here recently and how everybody loves it.

Most of the big businesses are in California, if you get a good job you will be able to live in a safe and nice place. I was in Irvince, CA earlier this month, it's basically a business town, but safe, nice, clean and very, very rich. If you score a job at a large company there I guess you've got it made.

And yes, crocodiles.

Then Florida should be safe for him, only alligators there.

EDIT: Okay, I just checked and saw that there are crocodiles on the southern tip of Florida. So I guess Miami is out of the question.

Then Florida should be safe for him, only alligators there.
Florida already has multiple disqualifications due to hurricanes, heat, and “stand your ground” gun laws, so whether he’d be dealing with merely alligators or both alligators and crocodiles is moot. But you do get a silver medal for pedantry.

And I learned something about Florida wildlife.

There's the non native snakes too, just to add to Florida's charm.

@Night Prowler - you’ll probably be better off looking towards Denver or the Pacific Northwest. As much as I enjoyed my time in SLC - it’s a weird fucking place full of bizarre laws and a heavy dose of casual racism.

And the fact that you’ve made any comments about guns says to me that you should stay out of the South or major cities like Chicago, New York, LA, or Boston. Chicago is great, but it’s very easy to get overtaken by the (very overblown) stereotypical fears involving gun violence.

Definitely stay out of Southern California unless you enjoy heat, monotonous weather, and a ridiculously high cost of living. The Bay Area is nicer weather wise but I think has the highest cost of living in the country.

Back