Coronavirus

Interesting meeting at work today. Staff who think everyone should be forced back into the office because 'covid is over' vs clinically vulnerable staff.

England is a country with no restrictions and where the equivalent of a plane crashing every day worth of deaths due to Covid is acceptable to the government.

Letting the virus spread like wildfire risks having new mutations resistant to vaccines and we are back to square one.

It's just publicly acceptable or tolerable now, at a guess. It's a popular figure of speech that more people die of cancer and more people due of cold and flu, and backbenchers have long been asking for an end to publishing covid stats. If pressure on hospitals becomes too much, the direction might change again. The variant risk is one of many things shoved on the back burner until it becomes topical. Incidentally, my colleague was told by a manager that clinical vulnerability doesn't exist any more. Ignoring the fact that medically it's still recognised, it's just that most of the legal protections have gone now.

Policy being dictated heavily by sometimes arbitrary PR goals, especially when it's Coronavirus policy, is worrying.

Maybe the House of Commons is every bit in need of reform as the Lords. It's like a smug school debating society that's more interested in scoring points for polite ways of being rude to opponents than in considered decisions affecting millions of people. So archaic and totally lacks and sincerity and dignity of so many other legislative chambers worldwide.

Maybe the House of Commons is every bit in need of reform as the Lords. It's like a smug school debating society that's more interested in scoring points for polite ways of being rude to opponents than in considered decisions affecting millions of people. So archaic and totally lacks and sincerity and dignity of so many other legislative chambers worldwide.
Sounds like the U.S. is a chip off the old block, though…

Just had my first (!) coronavirus test. Yesterday evening I started getting a fever and sore throat. Feels pretty much like a cold, but the general advice is to have a test so I did that.

Result came back yesterday afternoon. Negative, which means good news. I have a cold and nothing more :)
Good for you. When they tested you, did they stick a cotton swab all the way up your nasal cavity? I ask this because in late February of last year I came down with the flu and that is what they did to me. The nurse warned me prior that I may experience a little discomfort similar to water going up my nose. It was much worse than water going up my nose. I never want to do that again:) At the time they couldn't test me for Covid and said so. I had Influenza-A. Mild fever,sore throat and body aches. Was fully vaccinated this past spring.

When they tested you, did they stick a cotton swab all the way up your nasal cavity?
Yep, they did, but it wasn't very big and I've had far worse medical examinations done before so this wasn't a big deal. I've heard from those who've done more covid tests over the past year that they were worse in the beginning though, so maybe they're doing it in a less invasive way now than in the beginning.

Yep, they did, but it wasn't very big and I've had far worse medical examinations done before so this wasn't a big deal. I've heard from those who've done more covid tests over the past year that they were worse in the beginning though, so maybe they're doing it in a less invasive way now than in the beginning.
Okay. She just jammed the thing up my nose and my mucus spilled all over it. It was very uncomfortable. I was later told that this nurse may have done it wrong. Oh well. I lived:) I find it funny in that when I had this, the people attending me weren't apprehensive about approaching me despite the growing threat of Covid-19. I say this because in 2019 I had come down with something called an adenovirus and went to the same place. An adenovirus mimics symptoms of the flu,bronchitis and pneumonia. I was miserable. I had a cough/fever that wouldn't die. After my initial diagnosis by the head nurse at the Urgent Care clinic where I went to, nobody wanted anything to do with me. The following day(Wednesday) I lost my voice and had conjunctivitis. Had a sore throat also. Thursday my body was wracked in pain and I hardly left my bed until Saturday. It was a wonderful experience:rolleyes: I was okay by the end of the following week. Sorry for rambling a bit:)

Last edited:
Back