Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Recently I rediscovered Piece of Mind album. Now it's my second favorite, after Powerslave.
Was listening to that today in my suv. Just bought 7 Maiden albums on sale on the iTunes (yeah, I’m old lol) to listen in my new vehicle. Has a pretty decent sound system and it sounded awesome. Would really love to hear To Tame a Land live again, so good…

Amen. Despite all the calls for more short rockers, few of them go down well. That said, I like TFF (miss off Satellite if you must) as a catchy little bit of fun.
I actually thought that TBOS did better than usual with the short rockers. Speed of Light was pretty close to classic Maiden. But yes I think they tend to do better with the epics.

Agreed with @Mosh
Whilst AMOLAD is arguably my favourite album I feel it would have been even better if it opened with These Colours Don’t Run and perhaps had Different World positioned before TROBB. Longer, more creative openers have worked brilliantly for Maiden…CSIT, Sign of the Cross etc…at least with the Satellite 15 beginning on TFF they showed they were ready to move on from a carbon-copy Wickerman-style opener for the first time in the reunion era even if it then flowed into the title track.

Same for live shows. I’m glad they opened BOS tour with IESF rather than Speed of Light (love that song by the way). And I hope Senjutsu (the song) has mid-paced, epic elements to it too.

Last edited:
Was listening to that today in my suv. Just bought 7 Maiden albums on sale on the iTunes (yeah, I’m old lol) to listen in my new vehicle. Has a pretty decent sound system and it sounded awesome. Would really love to hear To Tame a Land live again, so good…
Piece of mind is one of the best sounding albums on original vinyl, its an experience. These shitty 2015 "remasters" dont do it justice

I actually thought that TBOS did better than usual with the short rockers. Speed of Light was pretty close to classic Maiden. But yes I think they tend to do better with the epics.
I like their short rockers just fine. I just find the epics and longer compositions more interesting these days. Senjutsu seems to have a good mix, looking forward to hearing it.

The remasters are generally well done, considering what the norm is, although a couple are bad by these standards as well (NOTB comes to mind). The pumping from the 98 remasters is gone and that alone is a step up from the previous remasters, which were shit. Are the originals better? I think all of the 80's releases are, but the debut remaster is definitely better. The bump at 2khz is gone, which made the vocals hard to listen to. Fear of The Dark's frequency ring in the snare has been mitigated and the Shirley albums are mostly improved upon (and the vinyls have more dynamic range and attack than the CD counterparts).

On a different one: There's a tape slip or something similar on Die With Your Boots On at 4:31. I don't think that was there in the original release, but will have to check at home.

The remasters are generally well done, considering what the norm is, although a couple are bad by these standards as well (NOTB comes to mind). The pumping from the 98 remasters is gone and that alone is a step up from the previous remasters, which were shit. Are the originals better? I think all of the 80's releases are, but the debut remaster is definitely better. The bump at 2khz is gone, which made the vocals hard to listen to. Fear of The Dark's frequency ring in the snare has been mitigated and the Shirley albums are mostly improved upon (and the vinyls have more dynamic range and attack than the CD counterparts).

On a different one: There's a tape slip or something similar on Die With Your Boots On at 4:31. I don't think that was there in the original release, but will have to check at home.
The 1998 remasters were shiiiiiiiit
For the debut I have the pastmasters CD, haven't compared with my vinyl but it sounds a ton times better than the American mastering, that one sounds like a demo.
I've heard some of the vinyl reissues of the 80's albums and they sound pretty bad compared to the original masterings.
For the reunion albums now they were only released on a picture disc for some reason and these pressings where utter shitte so the remasters do improve.
BNW sounds nice, definitely better than the CD, DOD sounds very good, if you associated DOD with bad sound quality you should check the vinyl it sounds better than the DVD Audio downmix too. DOD was recorded on analog tapes although it was probably converted to digital before being pressed, I don't know. AMOLAD I haven't checked as I have no interest on this album and TFF with a quick listen can't really say it was outstanding (the production is to blame for TFF's sound quality). BOS was probably the biggest change, miles better than the CD, if you like the album pick this one up.
I am European so I haven't checked US pressings BTW
As for the 90's albums I haven't really compared. I have the red vinyl NPFTD (god why do I own this album), Black for Fear of the Dark (og pressing ofc), Clear vinyl for the x factor and I wanna get an original pressing of VXI but there are so many fakes. I haven't compared their sound to the reissues tho.

For the debut I have the pastmasters CD, haven't compared with my vinyl but it sounds a ton times better than the American mastering, that one sounds like a demo.
I've heard some of the vinyl reissues of the 80's albums and they sound pretty bad compared to the original masterings.
For the reunion albums now they were only released on a picture disc for some reason and these pressings where utter shitte so the remasters do improve.
BNW sounds nice, definitely better than the CD, DOD sounds very good, if you associated DOD with bad sound quality you should check the vinyl it sounds better than the DVD Audio downmix too. DOD was recorded on analog tapes although it was probably converted to digital before being pressed, I don't know. AMOLAD I haven't checked as I have no interest on this album and TFF with a quick listen can't really say it was outstanding (the production is to blame for TFF's sound quality). BOS was probably the biggest change, miles better than the CD, if you like the album pick this one up.
As for the 90's albums I haven't really compared. I have the red vinyl NPFTD (god why do I own this album), Black for Fear of the Dark (og pressing ofc), Clear vinyl for the x factor and I wanna get an original pressing of VXI but there are so many fakes. I haven't compared their sound to the reissues tho.
The first Madien albums I bought were the '98 remasters and while you could knock this down to nostalgia, I've never had a problem with the audio quality. And in a couple of cases I actually prefer them to the 2015 remasters. NOTB on vinyl (2015) sounds a bit flat to my ears and POM has too much low end making it a bit muddy. The '98 CD's sound much clearer and fuller.

I'll admit. I've not heard many of the original masters with the exception of my OG pressing of Killers which I found in a second hand shop. This certainly sounds brighter compared to the new remaster (which is more bass heavy). However, that could be down to the lighter weight vinyl they used back then.

As a side note, seeing as my introduction was the '98 versions I do miss how the new remasters removed the additional tracks added in '98 like Sanctuary and Total Eclipse.

The best CD sounding albums are the japanese 'Black Triangle' and the 2015 remasters, which are absolutely amazing.

The best CD sounding albums are the japanese 'Black Triangle' and the 2015 remasters, which are absolutely amazing.
I phase shifted several of the "Black Triangle albums" against a random other original CD issue, adjusted the gain a slight bit and voila, they cancelled out. Which means the sound on the Japanese and whichever other I compared to were 100% identical.

I phase shifted several of the "Black Triangle albums" against a random other original CD issue, adjusted the gain a slight bit and voila, they cancelled out. Which means the sound on the Japanese and whichever other I compared to were 100% identical.
I think most masterings on them arent unique, but the seventh son one should be. Early iron maiden cd's kind made my ears bleed (powerslave and SSOASS mostly) vinyl is the way to go, I have vinyl dumps on my phone and they get the job done

Last edited:
DOD 2015 mastered vinyl sounds quite shitty with distorted highs overall. Haven't heard original picture, but people telling it sounds much better.
BNW remastered vinyl sounds great. So great that I've finally understood what Nicko's "fucking missed" in the end of TTLBLAH. And that's after 18 years has passed from original release date)
Others post-reunion albums sound great on remastered vinyls. Don't know how they've fucked up with DOD sound so much. I really like 5.1 mix by the way. Some interesting experience in listening to it. Oh how I wanted TWOTW blu-ray to contain 5.1 mix of the whole Senjutsu album...

DOD 2015 mastered vinyl sounds quite shitty with distorted highs overall. Haven't heard original picture, but people telling it sounds much better.
The highs are not more distorted than on other records as fas as I can tell. Could be a tracking issue with your setup? There's always some distortion, no matter how well the pickup tracks, but that's just how it is with vinyl - That's also what makes Powerslave sounds so great to me. The subtle harmonic distortion adds to the experience. But anyhow, DoD does not stand out.

The highs are not more distorted than on other records as fas as I can tell. Could be a tracking issue with your setup? There's always some distortion, no matter how well the pickup tracks, but that's just how it is with vinyl. DoD does not stand out.
I have all studio albums remastered vinyls from TXF to TFF and only DOD have such issue. So it's not a setup problem, it's a master problem.

Could be a bad press then. I have all of those as well, and DoD just doesn't stand out. It's more high mid prominent than the rest though, that's just how it sounds. The guitars have a lot of presence. If you can, I'd be very interested to hear a recording from it and compare it to my rip.

Back