Coronavirus

Paul got his first shot today. They're stopping new appointments for first shots from something like March 31, apparently because of vaccine shortages, but also I suspect because they've given 27m the first shot and less than 3m the second. They need to catch up. Plus it looks very much like people in some areas have been able to book themselves in and get a jab no questions asked, ahead of the actual higher risk priority group people. They need to close that loophole.

I see, your reasoning is not driven by science. :lol:

And yes, they were wrong and helped to increase insecurity with outdated info. Now let's see when the next blunder happens.
= = = = = = =
AstraZeneca to publish full U.S. trial results after rare rebuke over 'outdated' data

LONDON/CHICAGO, March 23 (Reuters) - AstraZeneca will publish up-to-date results from its major U.S. COVID-19 vaccine trial within 48 hours after health officials publicly criticized the drugmaker for using "outdated information" to show how well the immunization worked.

The rare public rebuke marks the latest setback for the vaccine once hailed as a milestone in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic but has since been dogged by questions over its effectiveness and possible side effects.

AstraZeneca said results it published on Monday in which the vaccine had demonstrated 79% efficacy were based on an interim analysis of data through Feb. 17, and it would now "immediately engage" with the independent panel monitoring the trial to share its full analysis.

The British-based drugmaker on Tuesday said it had reviewed the preliminary assessment of its full, or primary, analysis and found it to be consistent with the interim report.

But the Washington Post reported that the data monitoring panel told federal officials they had been working with the company through March, had seen data that showed the vaccine might be 69% to 74% effective, and had "strongly recommended" AstraZeneca include that information in its public statement.

AstraZeneca shares fell 1.8% in London trading.

The U.S. National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) said on Monday that the board charged with ensuring the trial's safety and accuracy had expressed concern the company may have included outdated data that gave an incomplete view of the shot's effectiveness.

NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci called the whole issue a really unfortunate unforced error.

"This is very likely a very good vaccine and this kind of thing does ... nothing but really cast some doubt about the vaccines and may contribute to the hesitancy," he told ABC's "Good Morning America."

"The data really are quite good but when they put it into the press release it wasn't completely accurate," he said.
= = = = =

Yep, press matters. There are people who pay attention.

Paul got his first shot today. They're stopping new appointments for first shots from something like March 31, apparently because of vaccine shortages, but also I suspect because they've given 27m the first shot and less than 3m the second. They need to catch up. Plus it looks very much like people in some areas have been able to book themselves in and get a jab no questions asked, ahead of the actual higher risk priority group people. They need to close that loophole.
Glad to hear he got it, though. Hoping we can all get stabbed before too long.

For what is worth, the following article provides a good explanation of the differences between the contracts signed by the EU and the UK (analysis courtesy of a contract law expert at Leuven University):

Thanks. Fine for the UK that their contract law was better.
But it does not put Astra is a good light. They were not very committed. They did not have to, but they could. Or at least be more clear about the expectations. That is called decency. We're talking about protecting people here, not selling toys.

Last edited:
After a year of lockdown and restrictions I've noticed I don't mind the facemask anymore. At first, like the crybabies proteting about them, I found it difficult to breathe, the straps would hurt my ears, my glasses would fog up and it'd get hot underneath the mask. Now... I breathe just fine, I've found a way so my glasses don't fog up and I don't care if it gets hot underneath the mask. I find myself wearing it even if I don't have to or leave it on without noticing. I've even thought to myself I might keep wearing it well after we go back to "normal."

the breathe problem still happens to me wearing the facemask, doctors said that my lungs were well and could be anxiety so I'm taking 2 pills for anxiety everyday since January , and the problem stills there.

I've even thought to myself I might keep wearing it well after we go back to "normal."

Me too, haven't had cold in a year, and I usually get them every couple of months, I suspect social distance is just as much the benefit as the mask, but I'm definitely willing to give wearing the mask a try when we get back to normal at least for a while.

I'll definitely wear a mask whenever I'm feeling sickly in the post-COVID world. Not too worried about it in the hot or cold, to be honest. Once I have the thing on for 5 minutes I barely notice it.

I'll definitely wear a mask whenever I'm feeling sickly in the post-COVID world. Not too worried about it in the hot or cold, to be honest. Once I have the thing on for 5 minutes I barely notice it.
This. A few days of wearing the mask for 8+ hours a day early in the pandemic was enough to get used to it. And it’s nice to have to keep my face warm in the cold.

I stop noticing it after five minutes, but I start noticing it again after about five hours, give or take. At that point my ears start to get tired of holding the elastic band. I can still wear it for some five hours after that, but in the end I tend to tear it off my face the moment I can and throw it in the trash with a lot of hate.

I find it annoying when driving a car, especially with my car-sunglasses which go over my normal glasses. I usually take off the sunglasses, because they fog up terribly; the mask must me kept on with someone else in a car.

I'm not sure if not noticing the mask is a good thing. If not being that conscious of it, one may use it in a wrong manner (touching it in a wrong way or something like that).

I cannot imagine I'd like to keep wearing it for a long time (post-vaccination era), when not necessary.
Question is: when is it still necessary, and how long does that take.

Wearing it for many (e.g. 3 or 5 hours) in a row (without taking it off a single time) seems completely unreal to me. And impossible, since I eat and drink. I'm not travelling for such a length of time, nor do I wish to be with strangers for such a long while. It just doesn't happen.

Pretty much. In Asia (mainly Japan and China) people wear them for a few reasons. One is if they are feeling sick and they don't get others sick and, at least in some Chinese cities, the air pollution is horrible. At first I thought it was just Asian politeness, but the reason is much darker.... They kept the habit after the 1918 pandemic while the rest of the world forgot. Now I get it and even after COVID, like you said I'll wear it if I feel sick or like in China, just to keep much of the dirty air out of my precious lungs lol.

Stupid error on AZ's part .. but the bottom line is the vaccine is 76% effective instead of 79% and is still 100% effective in preventing severe cases.

Just got my COVID shot. It was “unfortunately” J&J/Janssen, but I’ll take what I can get. I strongly suspect I already had COVID about a year ago anyway, and with minimal symptoms at the time, so I probably didn’t have much to be concerned about in the first place.

The process was pretty efficient — I had the needle in my arm within two minutes of my appointment time, so that’s a good sign.

I did read a report recently that didn't attribute great efficacy to one of the alleged 90%+ vaccines. The more people with some degree of protection the better, though.

Anyway, I was really excited to open an envelope from the NHS this morning, saw 'it's time to book your vaccine' at the top....then noticed it was the BF's name on the letter. :facepalm: They used his first name, which I don't often see outside of work. And he already had his first shot on Tuesday.

I got one of those letters too. It included a clause about ignoring if I'd already had it.

According to the Boyfriend this is a deliberate attempt to make sure no-one slips through the net if part of the system falls over: in his words "belt, braces, string, gaffer tape, helium balloons ..." :D

Just got my COVID shot. It was “unfortunately” J&J/Janssen, but I’ll take what I can get. I strongly suspect I already had COVID about a year ago anyway, and with minimal symptoms at the time, so I probably didn’t have much to be concerned about in the first place.

The process was pretty efficient — I had the needle in my arm within two minutes of my appointment time, so that’s a good sign.
Take what you can get, man. And if they decide someone needs a booster in a year or so, then so be it. But take what you can get. I'm happy for you.

Back