Coronavirus

I've noticed that with my GF. I wouldn't say she's panicking, but she's definitely nervous about our water jugs. We have 3 20 liter jugs we refill at a purification station. We normally wait until all three are empty and go fill them in one go. Now, as soon as the first hits the halfway mark she's already asking, no, sorry, she starts TELLING me to message my brother to see when HIS next water jug run is so he can take us with him as we don't have a car and he does.

I thought about this... what if we DO run out of clean, potable water? My first thought was, we'll just boil tap water. Thankfully there is a simple solution to most of these supposed shorateges. This isn't the 1919 pandemic, nor is it the great depression. People forget that even during really shitty times, MOST people still have it quite good.

It is natural I think, when a lot of things are happening that are out of a person's control ... gaining control over certain things makes the situation seem more manageable. I think my wife and I are a bit lucky in that we had a bunch of plans for around now anyway to get stuff planted in the yard and make changes in the yard .. so really this is what we were going to be doing anyway and our work is not really affected at all by this ... that said, next weekend is the end of the yard plans for this Spring .. so after that, it might change

Yeah, The Queen addressing her peons seems to indicate the seriousness of the situation.

Looking at the previous times she addressed the nation, I would not use the term seriousness to describe most of them.

Anyway, we live in the 21st century. Whilst the message was nice, having an un-elected figure addressing the nation is unlikely to have the same impact it would have had years ago...

That sucks, hope he pulls through (along with as many other people as possible)
Agreed. He's a bit of a wanker but I don't wish any harm upon him, other than stepping on a banana skin. :) Hopefully he pulls through and can conduct himself with a bit more humility afterwards.

I don't understand why he went to an NHS hospital though. He's obviously loaded so surely would normally use a private hospital.

For Americans here ..no clue about other countries ..but worth calling your auto insurance company and report your much less driving due to COVID. Got a decent discount for this quarter by essenialky saying we are going to barely drive 50 miles this month

Well, so much for a downward trend with over 30,000 new cases and 1,300 deaths in the US.

And this is crazy!:
New York City may need to bury coronavirus victims in a local park as hospital morgues and refrigerated trailers parked outside hospitals reach capacity, City Councilman Mark Levine tweeted Monday.

"All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world, mad world"

Using corvid as excuse ruling party pushed voting on remote presidential election.

"Best" parts?
a) you must sign voting card with your name and social number
b) if lost, hide or do anything with this voting card, let say NOT vote, according to this new law they can put you for 3 years in prison

I never loved my country so much.

Becomes a problem if the deceased is Jewish or Muslim because their religion forbids it.

Used to be the case with Christianity as well. It is very recent that most Christians and notably most Christian theologists have become accepting of cremation, and it was for reasons of practicality which was judged not to be in violation of the religious notions of resurrection. IIRC, the Catholic Church only took an official accepting stance on cremation in the 60s.

An Orthodox Jew or a conservative Muslim is very likely to reject cremation with no exceptions, even if it's the more practical option, and even when it's the option that minimizes negative impact. It's an interesting case where a religious person's actual sense of ethics gets put to the test: Consequentialism or Deontology. The more conservative religious people, especially the more literal interpreters of religion are likely to opt for the deontological option.

The responsibility actually ends up at the hands of the relatives of the deceased, obviously, unless the deceased shares his will prior to his death. (Technically, it still lies at the hands of the relatives, as they may choose not to honor the will of the deceased)

Last edited:
That doesn't really matter in this case though, does it? Unless you're telling religious communities to change their doctrine. Some might, but others will not, and this really isn't the time for a theological discussion or religiously motivated unrest, and that's kind of my point.

Agreed. He's a bit of a wanker but I don't wish any harm upon him, other than stepping on a banana skin. :) Hopefully he pulls through and can conduct himself with a bit more humility afterwards.

I don't understand why he went to an NHS hospital though. He's obviously loaded so surely would normally use a private hospital.

The bit in bold is a bit of an understatement, isn't it? In addition to that, expecting humility from him is like believing the Earth is flat! The hubris of Eton and the Bullingdon club is so deeply ingrained that I cannot see that happening.

That being said, let's hope Boris would recover soon.

The New York Times published an interesting piece on how different parts of the US have reacted to the pandemic. Areas in blue are not necessarily Democrat voting counties (although this would help in November) - they are areas where travel distances have decreased (by up to 60%) compared with "normal". White areas are (probably very white too) areas where travel distances haven't changed much and in red areas travel distances have increased compared to normal. I suspect the red counties are Republican voting too. :lol: It's interesting that the spine of the country and the (non-Florida) south-east have responded less drastically than the major population centres.

1586256255016.png

Back