Coronavirus

Some wierd events over the last few hours:

A tiger in the Bronx Zoo in New York has contracted the virus. That's very sad to hear since they shouldn't be kept on zoos anyway, and it's also quite worrying that the virus is jumping from humans to tigers. It's concerning for house pets, particularly cats who could easily bring in into a house and then spread it around their neighbourhood.

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for "routine tests" and will stay overnight. He's been suffering from persist symptoms for the last 10 days. His pregnant fiancee also has the virus.

The Chief Medical Officer for Scotland was spotted ignoring her own social distancing guidelines by visiting her second home with her family - certainly not "essential travel"! She has how resigned.

The total number of new reported cases today in the US is under 25,000. That's a bit of an improvement over the daily 30,000+ we've been seeing over the last few days. And the number of new deaths is under 800. Let's really pray and hope everthing keeps going down.

Germany is the fourth country to hit 100,000 cases, although death rate is still relatively low at "only" 1.5k. I never thought I would say this, but it seems like Germany is run by a competent government.

Some wierd events over the last few hours:

A tiger in the Bronx Zoo in New York has contracted the virus. That's very sad to hear since they shouldn't be kept on zoos anyway, and it's also quite worrying that the virus is jumping from humans to tigers. It's concerning for house pets, particularly cats who could easily bring in into a house and then spread it around their neighbourhood.

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for "routine tests" and will stay overnight. He's been suffering from persist symptoms for the last 10 days. His pregnant fiancee also has the virus.

The Chief Medical Officer for Scotland was spotted ignoring her own social distancing guidelines by visiting her second home with her family - certainly not "essential travel"! She has how resigned.

Meanwhile, a photographer captures the moment it finally dawns on Matt Hancock that, when it matters, PPE does not stand for Philosophy, Politics and Economics but Personal Protective Equipment...

1586159221602.jpeg

Our Taoiseach, a former GP, has re-registered as a doctor and is picking up some shifts to help out. Probably a cynical PR move, but certainly one that will actually contribute a lot more than the usual PR move.

According to some news UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was move to the Hospital to receive oxigen

According to some news UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was move to the Hospital to receive oxigen
1200px-Internet_Explorer_9_icon.svg.png

All this stay at home has resulted in a ton of yardwork being done. Plated 10 trees over the weekend (4 peach, 2 fig, 4 hollies).

Thinking the weekend after next, we are going to get away for a 3 day weekend. Found a few options in the middle of nowhere and away from people. Will be good to see something different.

Not sure the video will play outside of the US .. but a story this weekend remembering the great toilet paper shortage of 1973 (spoiler .. was not really a shortage). Interesting and good timing for the guy who made the documentary about it

Boris is apparently much more sick than he's been letting on, which is not good for him, obviously. One has to wonder if he's minimizing his illness because of his original cavalier attitude towards the virus.
Yeah, The Queen addressing her peons seems to indicate the seriousness of the situation.

Not sure the video will play outside of the US .. but a story this weekend remembering the great toilet paper shortage of 1973 (spoiler .. was not really a shortage). Interesting and good timing for the guy who made the documentary about it

Wasn't that during the oil shortage crisis or something?

Wasn't that during the oil shortage crisis or something?
Kinda, but it really came as a statement from a Congressman that "next we will have to worry about toilet paper shortage" when that was not really true, it got picked up and Johnny Carson included it in a monologue .. and it spiraled from there.

The interesting part, that applies today is
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And there is no shortage today … but there is another panic.

"When there's uncertainty in the world, people would like to eliminate some of that uncertainty," said Boston University economics professor Jay Zagorsky, who said it is rooted in something called "zero risk bias."

"Buying toilet paper ensures that at least one act in their life is completely taken care of," Zagorsky said.

"It gives us some degree of reassurance?" asked Rocca.

"Reassurance, certainty. You might run out of something else, but at least you have one of the staples that makes most people feel better."

Kinda, but it really came as a statement from a Congressman that "next we will have to worry about toilet paper shortage" when that was not really true, it got picked up and Johnny Carson included it in a monologue .. and it spiraled from there.

The interesting part, that applies today is
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And there is no shortage today … but there is another panic.

"When there's uncertainty in the world, people would like to eliminate some of that uncertainty," said Boston University economics professor Jay Zagorsky, who said it is rooted in something called "zero risk bias."

"Buying toilet paper ensures that at least one act in their life is completely taken care of," Zagorsky said.

"It gives us some degree of reassurance?" asked Rocca.

"Reassurance, certainty. You might run out of something else, but at least you have one of the staples that makes most people feel better."

I've noticed that with my GF. I wouldn't say she's panicking, but she's definitely nervous about our water jugs. We have 3 20 liter jugs we refill at a purification station. We normally wait until all three are empty and go fill them in one go. Now, as soon as the first hits the halfway mark she's already asking, no, sorry, she starts TELLING me to message my brother to see when HIS next water jug run is so he can take us with him as we don't have a car and he does.

I thought about this... what if we DO run out of clean, potable water? My first thought was, we'll just boil tap water. Thankfully there is a simple solution to most of these supposed shorateges. This isn't the 1919 pandemic, nor is it the great depression. People forget that even during really shitty times, MOST people still have it quite good.

Back