Nicko McBrain

@matic22 yeah you’re right! The Icarus snare is all oak, but the kit is indeed birch with inner and outer oak layers. Nicko also mentioned they’re working on even more signature products with a new kind of wood for BDC!

So will he be changing kits this year during the set? This kit looks like it's made for the later part of the LOTB set (Icarus onwards).

Yeah, it's curious. His initial idea for the LOTB tour was to have 3 different drum kits (design/art), if I'm not mistaken - that's quite a hard task to do. I doubt that this new drum kit will be used on the next (album) tour. It's too early for that.

According to this, the kit will not be used with Maiden but will be mainly for personal use, drum clinics, etc.

These new BDC cymbal stands he shows off here are also brilliant!

According to this, the kit will not be used with Maiden but will be mainly for personal use, drum clinics, etc.
I almost feel like that's a bit of a missed opportunity, but then again I'm not surprised. Adding two more kits to the rotation would be a logistical nightmare. Tripling the space needed for Nicko's drums and requiring some serious efforts in the backline to even make switching kits mid-show possible. I'm not sure they even have the space required backstage for that.

I almost feel like that's a bit of a missed opportunity, but then again I'm not surprised. Adding two more kits to the rotation would be a logistical nightmare. Tripling the space needed for Nicko's drums and requiring some serious efforts in the backline to even make switching kits mid-show possible. I'm not sure they even have the space required backstage for that.

Not really. 2 risers on wheels plus an UTP digital multi-core with two sets of mic's would make the switch between kits possible in a minute.

However, doing this is basically asking for problems. And Mr. Charlesworth would probably want a double salary :D .

Fun fact: Nicko also wrote a song for the AMOLAD album:

''Nicko claims he also wrote a song for the album "A Matter of Life and Death," but since he met too late with the rest of the band, there was no room for his song.''

I've found where I read that:

Nicko: "My writing contribution was more musical, like the drum parts to these songs etc. I really had a lot of input on this album. Usually the guys would come to and say '…..this is the sort of thing I would like you to do etc.' But that didn't really happen so much on this album. Although Steve had a couple of specific things he wanted from me. But a lot of the way I constructed the drum patterns and beats was my contribution to the writing aspect I suppose. In terms of bringing a song to the band, I flew over quite late into the writing period. And what had happened was, the guys already had ten songs ready to go. They had been getting together in various combinations to put the songs together. If we had needed eleven songs then I would have put my song into the mix as it was already mainly complete and it may or may not have been used. But the point is, we had these ten phenomenal songs! Jan had a couple more ideas, Adrian had a couple more songs ready and Steve had another three already written. So what is amazing is that we had too much material! Whereas normally we get to about eight songs and it's '……er, anyone got any more ideas?' So it wasn't because of any other reason than we had enough songs already. But to be honest with the standard of the songs already there, I wouldn't have even considered putting into the pot!"

Source: https://archive.ph/20130221054805/h...h.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=54636

What is curious in the interview with Nicko and Janick from the link above is when they discussed why the AMOLAD album wasn't named by one of the songs in it..- The suggestions were ''The Pilgrim'' and ''The Legacy'' and they do not call it ''The Legacy'' (as Nicko has said), because they thought somebody else did an album called The Legacy (probably they had in mind the Testament debut album of the same name). It is a good title for a album. And then Janick has said: ''I think calling it The Legacy would have hinted at this being the last album, and we definitely didn't want that!'' - well, for the next album (TFF album) they definitely wanted that (as Bruce and Steve have said). :blush:

Actually I think this is the best bit:
Janick: "Yeah but the thing is. If we brought Nicko down the front to sing, all the women would go like wow. He would then straight away become the focal point of the band….the band would fall to bits….Bruce would have to be put to the back and that wouldn't really work so….we let Bruce do all the live singing but Nicko really does it all in the studio!"
:lol:

Some funny stuff going, interesting talk from both Eric and Nicko, but I didn't listen to right from the start.
There should be recording of this whole talk available later, right?

Some funny stuff going, interesting talk from both Eric and Nicko, but I didn't listen to right from the start.
There should be recording of this whole talk available later, right?
Yeah they said at the beginning the whole thing will end up on YouTube :)

Back