Your Maiden blasphemy

He is not overrated nor underrated; you won't find him topping the lists ala Claypool or Flea. But he is the top lot and he's better than Burton IMHO, also a top lot player. Unfortunately we will never know what Burton was capable of.

Also people compare bassists without taking the whole rhythm section into the account. Burton/Urlich got nothing on Harris/McBrain. That wonderful scale and bass/drums interplay in the Four Horsemen chorus is something Harris and McBrain do all the time seamlessly.

Well one bassist by himself will always be worse than a bassist/drummer combo...

Idk, there's something about Steve that just isn't right in my eyes, I feel that there is better out there such as Burton but I'm not sure if I could describe it like this.

But this is the unpopular opinions thread anyway, so deal with it;):p

Steve Harris is an overrated bassist. He is very very good, and deserves to be up in the top lot, but I think he's praised to much. His creativity (especially post-90) is sometimes inferior to other bassists and he has made some awful decisions for Iron Maiden along the way. Clever man, but not the genius he's often made out to be.

I also dislike his bass setup/rig, imo, a low action bass with clanging/smashing strings is not a brilliant sound, especially in certain albums. Burton and other bassists had a much nicer and deeper sound which worked a lot better I think. He's also very stubborn in changing this (as well as other things in Maiden)
I love love love the sound of harrys bass. Just wish he was more creative with bass lines rather than always just

G-9———————-
D-9———————-
A-7-777777777777
E————————-

Yeah but remember that the comparison is Nicko McBrain. Harris and McBrain make one hell of a combo, but Nicko especially is an unbelievably good drummer. Even if you make the argument that Cliff Burton is a more talented bassist (which is debatable, I'd say he was more of an artist, someone who just happened to play bass, did some really weird stuff with it and was amazingly competent at it) than Steve Harris, it's still hard to beat a combo of an incredibly solid bassist and a fantastic drummer in perfect lockstep.

That said, I recommend people listen to some of the classic Maiden basslines. They sound almost downright simple, but they complement the songs so perfectly it's really hard to swallow the claim that Arry is somehow massively overrated. He's no bass wizard, but the way he pulls off amazingly memorable lines like it's nothing is admirable, clicky tone or not.

Yeah but remember that the comparison is Nicko McBrain. Harris and McBrain make one hell of a combo, but Nicko especially is an unbelievably good drummer. Even if you make the argument that Cliff Burton is a more talented bassist (which is debatable, I'd say he was more of an artist, someone who just happened to play bass, did some really weird stuff with it and was amazingly competent at it) than Steve Harris, it's still hard to beat a combo of an incredibly solid bassist and a fantastic drummer in perfect lockstep.

That said, I recommend people listen to some of the classic Maiden basslines. They sound almost downright simple, but they complement the songs so perfectly it's really hard to swallow the claim that Arry is somehow massively overrated. He's no bass wizard, but the way he pulls off amazingly memorable lines like it's nothing is admirable, clicky tone or not.
I wouldn’t call them simple because of how physically demanding some of them can be. Even if caught somewhere in Time is mainly galloping on a few notes it’s very fast and requires stamnina and precision

That why I said that they sound simple. Doesn't mean they necessarily are, though. Just that they sound very much to the point and not at all like he's trying to be flashy or something.

I don't like most of the openers.

Dislike:
- Prowler
- Ides of March
- Invaders
- The Wicker Man
- Futureal
- Wildest Dreams
- The Final Frontier (+Satellite whatever)

Got accustomed to the following in time. I don't dislike them, but I would rarely click on them on my playlist:
- Where Eagles Dare
- Aces High
- BQBD
- Tailgunner
- Different World (I don't like it musically, but it is one of the first demo songs for my hifi setup)

Like (arguably, most of them are not 'proper' openers in Maiden book):
- Caught Somewhere in Time
- Sign of the Cross
- Moonchild
- If Eternity Should Fail

So yes, this is my blasphemy.

I don’t dislike most Maiden openers but I find a lot of them serve the sole purpose of opening an album/concert and don’t have as much to offer as other songs on the album. This is true especially in the reunion era.

Like (arguably, most of them are not 'proper' openers in Maiden book):
- Caught Somewhere in Time
- Sign of the Cross
- Moonchild
- If Eternity Should Fail

This and the "Worst Song from each album" threads kill me inside. Four of Maiden's most opener-est of openers are not "proper openers"? :eek:

This and the "Worst Song from each album" threads kill me inside. Four of Maiden's most opener-est of openers are not "proper openers"? :eek:
I probably agree with you on that, but I said "arguably" for a reason, given the status they acquired/ or the criticisms they received in time:

- The Sign of the Cross: it will never be an opener in any concert. It does not either look like an opener like those of other albums.

- Caught Somewhere in Time: probably, it will never be played again. It is some kind of a black sheep in the Maiden history.

- Moonchild: This is probably the only undisputed opener among the 4 I like.

- IESF: too long to be called an opener among others?

Back