9.The Book of Souls. 8.6/10
10.The Final Frontier. 8.4/10
11.A Matter of Life and Death. 8.3/10
12.Dance of Death. 8.1/10
13.No Prayer for the Dying. 7.9/10
14.Fear of the Dark. 7.4/10
15.Virtual XI. 6.5/10
16.The X Factor. 6.3/10
This is my list at the moment, of couse as time goes by my opinions change but I have some rule of thumb that I use to rank the albums, It's my more recent rules though. 1.Blaze's albums can never be put over Bruce's or Paul's, It's blasphemy 2. Even if I think some albums are better than others it all depends on how much I listen to the album.
'No prayer.. used to be higher on my list but then I relized while its a good album to me (Way better than Fear of the Dark #sorryFOTDfans) it's not worthy enough to be higher than any of the reunion albums , I mean think about how much harder Maiden worked to make AMOLAD or TFF, took way more effort to make those albums than NPFTD, so unfortunently for me it climbs down lower down the list. I've actually been listening to the reunion albums more latley and have gained a lot of respect for those albums.
Sometimes I feel 'Killers' should be lower on my list too but It has a place in my heart since it was one of the first IM albums I heard as a kid.
NOTE:The way I score the albums isn't 100% accurate for me, Except like 'Powerslave' and a handfull of others but some are just more less for me.

Don't know if these can be marked as blasphemy, but...
Negative: I absolutely don't like song Iron Maiden
Positive: I like X Factor so much that it's maybe among my Top 5. Definitely better than all the albums from the 90's, along with some post 2000's (DoD, TFF, BoS) and first album.

I don't think either are blasphemies, lol.

Negative: I absolutely don't like song Iron Maiden
I disagree, but it isn't a highly rated song as a whole on here.

Positive: I like X Factor so much that it's maybe among my Top 5. Definitely better than all the albums from the 90's, along with some post 2000's (DoD, TFF, BoS) and first album.
I agree; it's probably my favorite album after Powerslave.

Few that came to mind:

Alexander the Great isn't in my Top 50 Maiden songs.
I have never listened to Killers in its entirety.
Janicks Hallowed Be Thy Name solo is better than Adrians.
The Number of the Beast album is overrated.

:oops:

I like MITRM, Purgatory, Killers and Prodigal Son. I've only heard bits and pieces of the rest, none of it really grabbed me enough to want to listen to the whole thing :blush:

The loneliness is hard to bear....

Here I am again, on my own....

I am a man who walks alone....

Well MaidenFans, you left me alone in there....

Wake alone in the hills....

In a foreign field he lay, lonely Diesel, unknown grave....

Tears for somebody, but this lonely boy....

The Loneliness of the Killers-Hating Diesel....

(everything that's been written is my personal oppinion)
Not a fan of the self titled debut album.
Dislike Running Free and Iron Maiden
X Factor is maybe among my Top 5 Maiden albums ever
Think that Maiden composing became a bit predictable after BNW, exept for Bruce, who is literally one in a million on this planet. I mean, Empire of the Clouds...
Sanctuary, Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills are fine, but definitely overrated songs.
Killers is a great album (don't know the overall oppinion of the forum members, but I've seen a lot of posts that spoke negatively about the record)
Gangland chorus is better that the one from Run to the Hills
Alexander the Great shouldn't be played live (I can't imagine the way Bruce could handle that singing, not to mention the lyrics itslef)
Educated Fool is actually a good song
Dance of Death is something like Maiden trying to force their way to VIVA or MTV (overall, there are some great songs, but the production and the singles are way to ... Commercial)

Steve Harris is an overrated bassist. He is very very good, and deserves to be up in the top lot, but I think he's praised to much. His creativity (especially post-90) is sometimes inferior to other bassists and he has made some awful decisions for Iron Maiden along the way. Clever man, but not the genius he's often made out to be.

I also dislike his bass setup/rig, imo, a low action bass with clanging/smashing strings is not a brilliant sound, especially in certain albums. Burton and other bassists had a much nicer and deeper sound which worked a lot better I think. He's also very stubborn in changing this (as well as other things in Maiden)

He is not overrated nor underrated; you won't find him topping the lists ala Claypool or Flea. But he is the top lot and he's better than Burton IMHO, also a top lot player. Unfortunately we will never know what Burton was capable of.

Also people compare bassists without taking the whole rhythm section into the account. Burton/Urlich got nothing on Harris/McBrain. That wonderful scale and bass/drums interplay in the Four Horsemen chorus is something Harris and McBrain do all the time seamlessly.

Steve is my personal favorite because I like bass for the song, and the bass lines he’s done over the years just sound good. To me at least.

Back