Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like S15 but I think it could've used some shortening. I really like The Final Frontier itself, however; not their best lyrically and not their best overall but a stand-out from the album.

Still, Futureal and The Angel and the Gambler are too really great songs I've enjoyed from the moment I first listened to VXI.

Sat 15 is great for what it is. Compare Cyclops and Mars Within. Can't be done directly. Cyclops needs to be rated as an opener, Mars Within as an intro, and their respective marks compared.

Satellite 15 vs. Futureal
The Final Frontier vs The Angel and the Gambler
El Dorado vs Lightning Strikes Twice
Mother of Mercy vs The Clansman
Coming Home vs Virus
The Alchemist vs When Two Worlds Collide
Isle of Avalon vs The Educated Fool
Starblind
vs Don't Look To The Eyes of a Stranger
The Talisman vs Judgement Day
The Man Who Would Be King vs Justice of the Peace
When the Wild Wind Blows vs Como Estais Amigos

6-5 for TFF

Like I expected, in the first half VXI was winning quite easily while the second half was dominated by TFF. Although I admit that the Wind x Amigos choice was really tough.

Picking El Dorado over Lightning Strikes Twice was a tough choice for me at this round.

I'm more shocked by the appalling lack of appreciation for the wonderful Lightning Strikes Twice. Magnificent intro and build-up. Superb melodies (guitar and vocals). So much more going on than on its opponent. Booooo @ Zare.
Here as well

Btw, so Futureal is only slightly better than a bunch of noise? o_O

Satellite 15 vs Futureal
Final Frontier
vs The Angel and the Gambler
El Dorado vs Lightning Strikes Twice
Mother of Mercy vs The Clansman
Coming Home vs Virus
The Alchemist vs When Two Worlds Collide
Isle of Avalon vs The Educated Fool
Starblind vs Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
The Talisman vs Judgement Day
The Man Who Would Be King vs Justice of the Peace
When the Wild Wind Blows vs Como Estais Amigos

6-5 Virtual XI. I used to rank TFF higher and, indeed, it was Number 1 when it came out but it has not aged well whereas VXI has gone up in my estimation. There's issues with production and lyrics, for me but I'm still more likely to listen to it than TFF. Both are pretty low on the list, though.

Lightning Strikes Twice is class, despite the shite lyrics. El Dorado is fun enough but Lightning Strikes could (should) have been a classic.
Coming Home has great moments, in particular the instrumental bit but the main riff pisses me off. Something about it makes me want to vomit. Great lyrics, though. Virus is maybe a bit standard and cheesy but I love it. It has everything I love about Maiden. Easy choice.
Big fan of Mother of Mercy, despite its clunky bridge but it had a tough draw.
Avalon & Starblind piss me off. They really kill the listening experience of this album. Great bits in both, interesting and different but overall, neither work for me as whole (long) songs. Educated Fool is the best song on either of these albums. The run out on Eyes of a Stranger just shades the interesting parts of Starblind.

That was a much bigger shit-kicking than I was anticipating given the way TFF seems to have dropped around here lately.
The Final Frontier wins 8-2 with one tie.

Up next, an interesting reunion-era pairing, Brave New World versus Book of Souls.:ahhh:

Wow this is brutal. These albums are neck and neck for me in general. Almost every song was somehow perfectly matched too (i.e. they are rated similarly for me). I probably slightly prefer The Book of Souls but surprisingly went 6 - 5 in favor of BNW. That's pretty impressive especially considering Brave New World has an immediate disadvantage with The Apparition.

I was surprised at how lopsided I went for BoS.
It's back half is even stronger than its start, while BNW falls off quite a bit and can't keep up.

If Eternity Should Fail vs. The Wicker Man
Speed of Light vs Ghost of the Navigator
The Great Unknown vs Brave New World
The Red and the Black
vs Blood Brothers
When the River Runs Deep vs The Mercenary
Book of Souls vs Dream of Mirrors
Death of Glory
vs The Fallen Angel
Shadows of the Valley vs The Nomad
Tears of a Clown vs Out of the Silent Planet
The Man of Sorrows
vs The Apparition
Empire of the Clouds vs The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Some very touch choices in this head-to-head! 7-4 to 'Brave New World' in the end though.

The first five are easily BNW wins for me, but then it gets really hard. Still went 7-3 for BNW.

Damn you for that Empire of the Clouds VS. Thin Line matchup!

Back