Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How much shorter? Take anything out and that song would fall faster than the Hindenburg R101.
I agree that taking parts out would degrade the flow of the song, but if it had been written with the aim of being nine minutes long rather than eighteen I'm sure the result would've been fine.

Satisfying to see a song (The Mercenary) that was way more criticized have more votes than its opponent (When the River Run Deep).

Current overall standing:
Brave New World vs The Book of Souls: 6-5.

The Mercenary is a song that has an insane amount of repetition that should not have passed through.

....and yet it's one of the band's most enjoyable bangers ever.

To me the Mercenary is just the better version of two quite similar songs. it gets quicker to the point, has a fatter/heavier riff., a more memorable chorus and stays consistent in the tempo throughout...

IESF is well ahead though....I can't decide if that's surprising or not, Wicker Man is certainly very strong. However IESF seems like the first song in a long time they actually wrote as an intro song..AND without using the template of Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, Different World, Final Frontier ie short rockers....which makes it that much more special.

Last edited:
IESF is well ahead though....I can't decided if that's surprising or not, Wicker Man is certainly very strong. However IESF seems like the first song in a long time they actually wrote as an intro song..AND without using the template of Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, Different World, Final Frontier ie short rockers....which makes it that much more special.
Yeah, they had three attempts at repeating the Wicker Man formula and never got it anywhere near as good. Even if I do have a soft spot for TFF (I'm classing S15 as an extended intro for the purpose of this discussion).

Eternity was fresh and has a lot of clout to it. It was a 'chicken skin' moment, as Mr Foro put it. :D

"Death or Glory" doesn't deserve to be ahead of "The Fallen Angel".
giphy.gif

Back