Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTGGOG is kinda eh, if you ask me. It has a nice idea behind and the question it asks is very intriguing (and I fucking love the sudden transition from the nice quiet intro to the heavy and fast verse, especially in the live version where they sped it up a little), but musically it's hardly a masterpiece. Good riffs, nice melodies, but the mediocre and short solos and the sort of annoying pre-chorus repetition take it down a notch. I'd still happily see it live, but for me it's never been any sort of holy grail.

But then again I'm total scum because I genuinely like TRATB better. It has its flaws, sure, but there's something strangely catchy about it once it gets going. It takes a moment to build up, but I don't necessarily think that's bad. That said I would probably get bored halfway seeing it live, honestly. It's one of those songs you can't listen to too often or you'll start mentally picking it apart.

But then again, and I am sort of ashamed to admit this, I think Steve's latter 80s epics fall in this category too. Yes, Rime, SSOASS, ATG and To Tame A Land are all tunes that I can't listen to too frequently or else they start sounding pretty bland. Hallowed and Phantom I could listen to on loop forever in comparison.

FTGGOG and TRATB -> both are very melodic songs, maybe Red and the Black even more , but it feels like it is overlong ! On the other hand, FTGGOG is a fantastic epic and with it's 9 minutes long is perfect, and it will be the highlight of the LOTB tour, if they play it ! The whole AMOLAD album is majestic and one of Maiden best - not a bad song on it and the lengths of the songs is just perfect for me, not overlong like (especially almost all the solos) on TFF album !

For the Greater Good of God pisses all over most of Steve's epics from 1990-2005 and 2007-2017 even though the chorus is not stellar.

I'm nitpicking a bit as I rate both TRATB and FTGGOG as probably 7 or 8's out of 1o, but the reason I rate FTGGOG as Steve's worst epic is I don't like the childhood's end style rhythm of the main verse or the fact you get 3 verses back to back and Dave Murray plays the most "phoned in" solo of his career.

When I say Steve's epics I really mean the one track per album that it's obvious he rates it as his best work on the album, and I'd disagree that FTGGOG pisses on any of the tracks from that time period, bar Mother Russia which is only borderline on even being considered in this category.

FOTD, great
SOTC, great
Clansman, great
Blood Brothers, great
No More Lies, ok this one is a love it or hate it, but I rate it as great
WTWWB, great

The Book of Souls is not overlong, maybe only -> TRATB,TGU,EOTC (I'm not sure about that o_O) ! Dance of Death is a very good album. I don't know why so many people don't like it - yeah, it has a couple of fillers -> AOI (the only song I really don't like from the reunion era) ,GOT (again great Janick song, but the song may suits better on the FOTD album. Not a very strong song by Maiden standards), maybe NF (Nicko first attempt, not a bad song, Adrian really helped here with the melody) and for me, Montségur is too heavy, but it is very melodic which I like a lot ! Like I said TFF album is very overlong, a couple of gems there, but so many unnecessary long songs :confused:
Brave New World is the ultimate album for me, and the best from the 2000's ! masterpiece from start to end ! better than AMOLAD. It really shows the greatness from this 6 man lineup and the superb melodies from the 3 guitars ! :)

Last edited:
The whole AMOLAD album is majestic and one of Maiden best - not a bad song on it
'The Pilgrim' is pretty poor by Maiden's standards.
Granted... but not a single really good one on it either...
1dxet4.jpg

Steve's songs used to be the first songs I heard once I got a hold of each new album. Nowadays his solo songs seem to get worse on every new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back