The Trooper Beer

Had my first few pints of Red and Black Trooper last Saturday. Was in Cambridge UK for the weekend with the girlfriend and happened to find a pub that had it on tap. Big fan of porter ales and this one was superb. Just wish it was more widely available in pubs in the UK.

Will have to get online and order me some bottles now.

Just had a bottle with snow crab in the backyard today for late dinner. It was pretty damned good. Classic sweet(ish) English porter with dry chocolate and slightly bitter berry notes to it. And, when the sunlight hits the glass right... it really is red and black!

Trooper is undergoing a makeover, not entirely sure why: http://www.ironmaidenbeer.com/news/robinsons-and-iron-maiden-brew-up-new-look-for-trooper-beer

New label:
trooper2017_2.png

Odd that they chose to go with a cartoony side to the artwork. I wonder if there were legal issues regarding the original image?

I am guessing they are thinking some fans of the band will buy extra to have it in their collection and/or a slightly "friendlier" Eddie/brighter colors to make it stand out on the shelves in stores.

Tastes a lot nicer on tap when you can find it! A couple of years ago me and my girlfriend were in London and walked into a bar that sold it with Iron Maiden pint glasses... ashamed to say I took one with me!

Had a few bottles of Hallowed. I'm not a massive fan of Belgian beers, but this is nice enough for what it is, if you like stuff like Leffe or Affligem you'll probably enjoy this

Last edited:
Had a few bottles of Hallowed. I'm not a massive fan of Belgian beers, but this is nice enough for what it is, if you like stuff like Leffe of Affligem you'll probably enjoy this

Still not tried it but tempted to order some online! I'm sure I will if I have a couple drinks this evening haha

Back