Your Maiden blasphemy

I also read that The Wicker Man was written by H and Bruce before they rejoined IM (not the Bruce solo song). Possibly with different lyrics.

Wasn't there a theory at one point about No More Lies dating back to the VXI era as well? I believe it was based on Adrian confirming Nomad, Mercenary and Dream of Mirrors as three of the four tracks written during those sessions, but refused to name the fourth for some reason, with the prevailing theory being that he didn't want to admit a song on their latest album is actually already five years old at that point, especially considering it was Steve's epic on the album.

Then again he also said Blood Brothers wasn't one of them, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed since then to be a holdover. Maybe he just forgot.

Perhaps they were written but not finished for Virtual XI. Otherwise, I do not know how the possibly could have chosen the turd featured on Virtual XI over any of them! :lol:

I think you'd find most of the Virtual XI-songs equally good as the BNW ones if they'd had the same great production, performances, and singer.

Wasn't there a theory at one point about No More Lies dating back to the VXI era as well?

I believe that was confirmed?

I think you'd find most of the Virtual XI-songs equally good as the BNW ones if they'd had the same great production, performances, and singer.

You cannot polish a turd... :lol:

Joking aside, The Clansman is a good song and Futureal is not bad either. The rest is below mediocre.

The Educated Fool too.
So it's not like they stole the best Bayley-era ideas away from him. BNW was probably 'rushed' out of material band members had lying around (and that includes joint efforts while Bayley was still on-board), the vibe around everything was great and the band was probably itching to go to road again.

IMHO the reason why I consider both BNW and DoD to be shitty albums is that I don't feel everyone in the band 100%. That's because this lineup truly clicked with AMOLAD. That includes bringing your best stuff in and putting it for the records sake.

Any album with the Angle on the Gambler on it is automatically disqualified from being up for consideration for better than literally any other album. Add Steve's majestic drums debut and VXI totally loses out on the performance front too.

I'm absolutely fine with people liking Blaze era tunes, but my point ultimately is that The Angel and the Gambler is a bad enough tune to drag down the album a lot by itself. This combined with the bad production and the strangely basic drumming kind of kills any momentum achieved with Futureal and I don't think the album ever really picks up after that. It just feels lifeless. All the tracks are vastly improved live (well, except for TAatG) where none of these issues come into play, but that doesn't fix the album for me.

Some newbies will learn there are people out here who like more Blaze-era songs than just the ones performed with Bruce. Disagreement expect they can.

Thanks. As I will turn 41 next week it is quite refreshing to be called a newbie. It makes me feel young again.

That being said, I am one of those who likes more Blaze-era songs than those performed with Bruce. I think that Fortunes of War, for example, is better than Futureal.

Last edited:
The Educated Fool too.
So it's not like they stole the best Bayley-era ideas away from him. BNW was probably 'rushed' out of material band members had lying around (and that includes joint efforts while Bayley was still on-board), the vibe around everything was great and the band was probably itching to go to road again.

IMHO the reason why I consider both BNW and DoD to be shitty albums is that I don't feel everyone in the band 100%. That's because this lineup truly clicked with AMOLAD. That includes bringing your best stuff in and putting it for the records sake.

I agree BNW, writing wise has a similar feel to the Blaze era. But is a polished version with outstanding production.
As for DAnce of Death? Not even close. DOD is a perfect Maiden album, and I think Represents a 2nd peak for the band.
From first listen I recall thinking " they're back baby!" It is a throwback to the classic era and IMO right there with Piece of mind and Powerslave as best albums ever put out by Maiden.
Unfortunately, they kept up close to that level with AMOLAD then have slipped a bit backwards with FF and BOS. Still all five upgrades to the Blaze era though..especially virtual...

Four, actually - Blood Brothers, The Mercenary (which came from a White Spirit demo: "'Till the Kill), Dream of Mirrors and The Nomad.

Hi All

Long time viewer, first time posting

Just wondering, if the four BNW songs and No More Lies (although I understand NML is more rumour) were completed/available at the time of recording VX1 what would you say would be the best tracklisting? Based on 8 songs

Wasn't there a theory at one point about No More Lies dating back to the VXI era as well?
I really can't understand why this song made the album, let alone be included in the live setlist and promoted as a single. A bad self-parody in my opinion.

Back