Your Maiden blasphemy

For example, you go to their too-slick website or Facebook page and you're bombarded with videos and ads for some stupid video game. So I don't visit those sites anymore. That's not what Maiden is about to me. I don't like it.

And that's my unpopular opinion! I hope I captured the spirit of the thread. :)

Just curious. Never ever heard or read that. Source?

I don't have a source for TCW but he praised Accident of Birth in one of the FC mags around that time. Although he also made the famous quote about Bruce being willing to write a Country and Western album if he thought it would sell. I think this was around Skunkworks era.

Bruce was asked about the X Factor and said it should have been called the Y (why?) Factor. Dave Murray responded that Bruce was suffering from the Ex-Factor.

I also remember Bruce being asked about Virtual XI when The Chemical Wedding was released, he praised Futureal as he said it's better when the singer writes the words and vocal melody.

I remember well that Steve said he was hesitant about a reunion for several reasons, one of them that TCW wasn't that strong. It was precisely this statement which for many years made me view Steve as, like, perhaps not the brightest button that ever shone.

I remember well that Steve said he was hesitant about a reunion for several reasons, one of them that TCW wasn't that strong. It was precisely this statement which for many years made me view Steve as, like, perhaps not the brightest button that ever shone.

:lol:

The Chemical Wedding is an absolute masterpiece, but some of the material was miles away what Steve would have considered playing back in 1998.

Funnily enough, some of the recent heavier tracks with Dickinson, Smith and Harris getting sonwriting credits are not miles away from The Chemical Wedding...

Love threads like these.

• No Prayer For the Dying is a really good album. Not their best, but far from their worst. As far as 90s albums go I'd probably rate it 2nd only to X Factor.
  • Quest For Fire and Sun and Steel are awesome. Especially the latter. There is so much cool stuff happening there, it blows my mind that it isn't as popular as other songs from the album.
  • Drifter is a great song and a fun way to close an otherwise dark album.
  • Fear Of the Dark (the song) is massively overrated. It's the audience that makes that song cool live, not the band. On its own, its just as bad as every other song on the album (excluding ATSS). I wish they'd fill that concert time with something else.
  • New Frontier isn't that bad.
  • Killers is way better than the debut. Like, lightyears better. It's a near perfect album. Don't get me wrong, the debut is great too, but Killers is just on another level.
That should be enough for now. :p

I agree on how good No Prayer is....also I think Fear of the Dark is their second WORST album only to VXI . I like about half of those albums.

Fully agree with the respect for sun and steel and quest for fire: it is my opinion that they suffer from being the ... least special... two songs on an outstanding album.

Every other song on the disc is phenomenal, and are for the most part fan favorites.

New frontier is soooo incredibley under rated too. Catchy as heck. I almost always hit repeat for a second and third listen when it comes up in rotation. Of course DOD itself is the most under respected album of all time. IMO...

Last edited:
New frontier is soooo incredibley under rated too. Catchy as heck. I almost always hit repeat for a second and third listen when it comes up in rotation. .

I definitely agree with this. I understand the lyrics may not be everyone's cup of tea but the music itself friggen rules. The highlight being Bruce's sustained "war of god and maaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAn towards the end. Always thought it was an awesome song.

Bruce was asked about the X Factor and said it should have been called the Y (why?) Factor. Dave Murray responded that Bruce was suffering from the Ex-Factor.
By reading this I came to think of an old article with Bruce from 1996 in which he was asked about the album, and I managed to find it again.
He thinks the X Factor is a decent album, but that Maiden should change musical styles to fit Blaze Bayley's vocal style, just as they did when Bruce replaced Paul Di'anno.

http://www.ram.org/music/articles/dickinterview.html

Fully agree with the respect for sun and steel and quest for fire: it is my opinion that they suffer from being the ... least special... two songs on an outstanding album
TBH, Quest For Fire and To Tame A Land don't jell so well with me. However, Sun and Steel I fricking love. There's something about the chorus that makes me love it (and "Life is like a wheel" sounds stupid when you hear it but something about that line makes me enjoy it even more). And of course the rest of the song is good too, enough to rival even The Trooper IMO.

Honestly, Piece of Mind as an album doesn't do much for me, but the individual songs (excluding the two I mentioned above) are great.

I LOVE Sun&Steel!
POM probably has the best individual songs, but somehow suffers from the lack of energy, between TNOTB and Powerslave (and especially Killers)

Make as much money as possible touring and making music. The touring alone makes enough money for multiple lifetimes for them. But if you follow their Facebook page you'll be flooded with sales pitches. Maiden's music was never "commercial", but their merchandising sure as hell is. At some point it can tarnish them.

They probably have a lot of revenue - but revenue is not profit they can just pocket. We simply do not know how much they make on a tour. Only that there's a lot of money involved.

Touring alone (without merch sales) does not makes them as much money as you think.

I think that is true about most of the business. No one makes as much you think they do.

Back