Your Maiden blasphemy

Many know how integral Dave has been part of Maiden's sound. The ones who don't know, would find out if Maiden would play without him. I rather see these people will never find out. And that's probably bound to happen.

Maiden would not be the same without any of the members.

I think Maiden won't continue anymore if one of them quits. Sorry to the wishful thinkers, but no, it sounds highly unlikely to me. Most of them have enough to do in the Maiden afterlife. Either one stops and it's the end of the band, either the whole band quits because it was decided in advance.

Last edited:
I don't remember where, but I'm sure Steve said that Nicko is the last drummer Maiden will have.

Many know how integral Dave has been part of Maiden's sound. The ones who don't know, would find out if Maiden would play without him. I rather see these people will never find out. And that's probably bound to happen.

I think Maiden won't continue anymore if one of them quits. Sorry to the wishful thinkers, but no, it sounds highly unlikely to me. Most of them have enough to do in the Maiden afterlife. Either one stops and it's the end of the band, either the whole band quits because it was decided in advance.

Hear! Hear!

Murray/Harris is the core. I don't think Steve would continue without Davey, maybe if Dave begged them to go on. But there's no reason for Murray, or any of them, to quit the band, apart from health issues.

I don't remember where, but I'm sure Steve said that Nicko is the last drummer Maiden will have.

Things said with Maiden are always open for change though, even if they mean it at the time.

Didn't Nicko once say that he'd leave if Hallowed was not in the set? Can't remember where, but it was a few years ago (5 to 10 years).

And that obviously didn't happen! ;)

I love Maiden. I really really love Maiden. Their music has been so important in my life for so long. But I have to kind of agree with something Paul Di'anno once said, that they are sort of a "money machine". There is a LOT of merchandising involved with Maiden, maybe too much. It actually makes me kind of sick to criticize Maiden in any way, but this issue does bug me a bit.

Like it or not, Iron Maiden is a business. Being a professional musician means that you have to make money from your music. Unless you can sell bubble-gum pop numbers, the only way to really make money any more in music is through touring revenue and merchandise sales. I would rather Maiden slap their logo and mascot on every damn piece of merchandising in the world because they know people will buy it than change their sound to try and make more money on music sales.

I would rather Maiden slap their logo and mascot on every damn piece of merchandising in the world because they know people will buy it than change their sound to try and make more money on music sales.
They could because they still make great music and believe in it, which is the most important thing.

The music doesn't suffer because Iron Maiden makes a pair of sneakers.

Of course the music doesn't suffer. The greed attached to the Maiden phenomenon is just a bit upsetting to me. It just seems a bit too much these days. The guys are not exactly starving artists scraping by to survive.

Exactly. The music doesn't suffer because Iron Maiden makes a pair of sneakers.

Not that it resulted in less quality, the contrary actually, but I think the move to make amends with Bruce, ditch Blaze and reunite was at the very least partially financially motivated.

The X Factor, Virtual XI, Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding all performed badly on the charts. Steve and Bruce were both very proud of their musical product and were slacking each other off constantly. Losing audience probably feels bad in general, but I think finance definitely played a role there.

Well it only made sense as a business move. Not only were neither selling well, but Bruce was making Maiden-esque Metal again with another ex-member. Not having a reunion would've been a waste of resources and a missed opportunity from a business point of view. Luckily this was a case where the correct business choice was also the correct artistic choice.

I don't understand the logic behind: "you've made enough money doing the thing you love, you should stop making more money."

As for the reunion, it may have been financially motivated but as Mosh said it was certainly the right decision artistically.

I don't understand the logic behind: "you've made enough money doing the thing you love, you should stop making more money."

Same here. I go one step further to argue that changing your style or sound to attempt to reach a bigger audience and/or make more money isn't inherently bad either. It's only bad if the product sucks.

As for the reunion, it may have been financially motivated but as Mosh said it was certainly the right decision artistically.

Make as much money as possible touring and making music. The touring alone makes enough money for multiple lifetimes for them. But if you follow their Facebook page you'll be flooded with sales pitches. Maiden's music was never "commercial", but their merchandising sure as hell is. At some point it can tarnish them.

Same here. I go one step further to argue that changing your style or sound to attempt to reach a bigger audience and/or make more money isn't inherently bad either. It's only bad if the product sucks.

Agreed. I'm fine with a new sound or a different sound, as long as it's not a bad sound.

Make as much money as possible touring and making music. The touring alone makes enough money for multiple lifetimes for them.

Touring alone (without merch sales) does not makes them as much money as you think.

Uhm, guys

...and where did you hear that Harris and Dickinson were slacking eachother? Bruce always refused to 'review' the new Maiden and Steve had big words of praise for The Chemical Wedding.

Of course the music doesn't suffer. The greed attached to the Maiden phenomenon is just a bit upsetting to me. It just seems a bit too much these days. The guys are not exactly starving artists scraping by to survive.

So where do you draw the line? People want to buy the merchandise, it's not that Iron Maiden is sold with Persil washing machine powder. It's just Maiden merchandise, and you produce it depending on the demand. From your post I feel like you would rather introduce artificial scarcity in order to feel like a not-too-rich artist? Cmon.

P.S. both AOB and TCW had great reception by reviewers and metal community. Anyone who watched music media in those days knew there's no chance of any straight metal album charting. Maiden had actually a bigger tour by venues with VXI than with TXF.

I read somewhere that Maiden are in music what Manchester United are in football when it comes to merchandise.

I love Maiden. I really really love Maiden. Their music has been so important in my life for so long. But I have to kind of agree with something Paul Di'anno once said, that they are sort of a "money machine". There is a LOT of merchandising involved with Maiden, maybe too much. It actually makes me kind of sick to criticize Maiden in any way, but this issue does bug me a bit.

This is not new. They have been selling (more) merchandise (than most bands) since the early 80s. As long as the music does not suffer, I could not care less, as I would only buy the merchandise I am interested in.

Back